cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Her Plugged In

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here! My question for this week......is it okay to leave motor home plugged in (30 amp) while parked in driveway for long periods of time?

No plans of getting on the road any time soon, but I do spend time “tinkering, repairing, and learning about” my new to me Winnebago Vista so I am in and out of it.
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
38 REPLIES 38

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
If your batteries are plugged in all the time there is a chemical action taking place to keep batteries charged which means shedding of the lead plates. I realize more batteries die from undercharging (sulfation) than from overcharging (plate loss) but does anyone know how much plate loss there is from maintenance charging, like so many thousandths /day? I have never seen this posted here.

Prior to getting the full hook ups at home, we never had the RVs plugged in all the time, our batteries lasted about 5 years. Now that we have the full hook ups at home, our batteries last about 5 years.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your batteries are plugged in all the time there is a chemical action taking place to keep batteries charged which means shedding of the lead plates. I realize more batteries die from undercharging (sulfation) than from overcharging (plate loss) but does anyone know how much plate loss there is from maintenance charging, like so many thousandths /day? I have never seen this posted here.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood revolution and ours is plugged in ALL the time except when it is rolling. Check the batteries regularly, no issues. Second pusher we have had and did like this.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours plugged in all the time, the only thing running is the inverter / charger. The coach is protected by the surge protector.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine plugged in to 50amp service when parked at home. I turn converter off and let the 110w solar panel maintain coach and chassis battery by leaving battery disconnect switches in the ON position. So far no problem over 20 years.

Best of luck and safe travels...:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi tommy g,

Why to disconnect?

Several reasons of varying import.

Because leaving it plugged in exposes the RV to both surges and brown outs.

It means a continual draw, so it is wasting power, and costing money.

Leaving it connected does put extra hours on the entire electrical system. The way my class c is wired, unless I turn the converter off, all the computer boards in the fridge, etc. are being powered--even when the appliance in question is turned off.

It serves little in the way of extra benefit, unless you are living in the unit. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that would be benefited by leaving it uninhabited and connected.

Plug in for 24 hours once a month to maintain the batteries.

tommy g wrote:
Why Don??

One single good reason........
My RV parked next to house plugged in allows me to have a cool/warm place (depending on time of year) to slip inside when out working in yard. Fridge is ON and stocked with my favorite beverages/snacks.
Bathroom is readily available and if I want I can catch up on local news with the 32" Vizio TV etc.
It is my 'man cave'

That single reason is reason enough for me.

RV is 11 years old and hasn't worn out YET.
PI Surge Protector on 30A Power Pedestal and sewer ----my own little FHU site

Costs me $22/month Winter Rate and $30/month Summer Rate

Cheap for the 'convenience' I get from having it at home and ready to use

OP IF you plug it in.check battery water levels monthly until you get a good idea on water usage.
Level the RV especially IF you are going to run Fridge and/or slide outs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
During the coldest time when we are home( part Dec., Jan.,& Feb), mine is winterized and the fridge is off. My power is routed through my home breaker panel and my Progressive unit is always plugged in, so surges or brown outs are unlikely to the extreme. When I do turn the fridge on, it and the converter together only pull 3 to 6 amps. The largest benefit that I can see is to battery longivity. My first set of house batteries(Interstate Workhorse) lasted 14 years until 2012. The next set(Duracell Golf Cart) were replaced in mid last year after 5 1/2 years. I am also on only the 3rd chassis battery.

Sorry about being a doubter, but I don't buy the 20 to 30 dollar a month thing. That would be about 15 to 20 percent of my monthly bill in a total electric house.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A typical absorption fridge uses about 5.7 KWH per day. That works out to between 22 and 30 per month for electrical costs, depending on the local rate.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Keep an eye on the water level of the house batteries and expect to pay up to $30 more a month if the fridge is running. Other then that, people do it all the time.

Leave mine plugged in all the time, and the fridge running and don't come anywhere NEAR $30 a month more on electric. More like $10. Virtually unnoticeable change.

Mike

That's the figure we've come up with as well - about $10 a month.
Well worth it to me.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
Keep an eye on the water level of the house batteries and expect to pay up to $30 more a month if the fridge is running. Other then that, people do it all the time.

Leave mine plugged in all the time, and the fridge running and don't come anywhere NEAR $30 a month more on electric. More like $10. Virtually unnoticeable change.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi tommy g,

Why to disconnect?

Several reasons of varying import.

Because leaving it plugged in exposes the RV to both surges and brown outs.

It means a continual draw, so it is wasting power, and costing money.

Leaving it connected does put extra hours on the entire electrical system. The way my class c is wired, unless I turn the converter off, all the computer boards in the fridge, etc. are being powered--even when the appliance in question is turned off.

It serves little in the way of extra benefit, unless you are living in the unit. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that would be benefited by leaving it uninhabited and connected.

Plug in for 24 hours once a month to maintain the batteries.

tommy g wrote:
Why Don??
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Yes.

Eloquent SOB 🙂

But I normally turn a lot of stuff off.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:
Mine stays plugged in 24/7, unless I'm driving it.

X2
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays plugged in 24/7, unless I'm driving it.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member