cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knock Down Bed

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
For a variety of reasons, we went with the smaller RV knowing we'd have to solve for "one extra bed". I built this knock-down bed that rides above the dinette. It's "almost twin sized" so there's enough room for our teenager up there.

It's all 3/4" ply from Home Depot. Knock down bed hardware was from Woodcraft. Only needs a flat-blade screwdriver to assemble/disassemble.

That's 3/4" conduit for additional support on the bed itself. Not pictured is the railing I fashioned after Maiden Voyage, and #1 son almost tumbling off.

It ended up a big larger than I had originally planned but it all comes apart and fits into the baggage area underneath. The large mattress part slides under Mom and Dad's queen mattress in the back.

It's about 5 minutes to setup and take down.
13 REPLIES 13

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
ntar827 wrote:
What do you use for a mattress and where do you store it?

3" Foam. Wife, former seamstress, cut it up into 3 sections and wrapped it in fabric. Stores in the overhead cab area like three large throw pillows.

Update - she just bought 6" foam from Amazon. I'm not sure but I suspect she'll section that up too.

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
Sure, I used these because they had the best reviews. And so far I'm quite pleased:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/151045/WoodRiver-Bed-Rail-Bracket-Set.aspx

One set (four brackets) hold bed to headboard and footboard. Then I bought a second set and used two to secure side rail to headboard and footboard.

Thanks for the tip! I may be building one myself soon.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
ntar827 wrote:

3" Foam. Wife, former seamstress, cut it up into 3 sections and wrapped it in fabric. Stores in the overhead cab area like three large throw pillows.

ntar827
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Nice conversion for adding an additional sleeping area!!!

If I were you I would stop posting pictures on 'how' to do it and start 'selling' it as a kit to camping/RV stores! :B

IMHO you would make so much money you could buy a new big coach with the profits!

Seriously. That is something a LOT of RV'ers would buy.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - those are the ones. There are some reviewers that complained they came with no instructions, and that's true. Take two scrap pieces of plywood and good around until you get the hang of the mounting.

The screw needs clearance in the mating piece, as it drives up and into the bracket. I used a forstner bit to drill out 1/4" of material and provide clearance for the screw.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great Job!!! Here's a Photo

And a Clicky
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, I used these because they had the best reviews. And so far I'm quite pleased:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/151045/WoodRiver-Bed-Rail-Bracket-Set.aspx

One set (four brackets) hold bed to headboard and footboard. Then I bought a second set and used two to secure side rail to headboard and footboard.

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
Pconroy, Can you post closeups of the hardware you used for this? I just looked at Woodcraft and they show different styles. I need another bed and have been thinking my way through some ideas and like this one.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic

JOMO
Explorer
Explorer
Good job!

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Smart!
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

_en_Plain_Air_