cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee Step Problem

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
When our step goes out, the motor runs and then it just sort of drops out and the motor continues to run for a few seconds. And when it retracts we can hear the motor running but we have to lift it back into place and then it clicks into place and holds, but the motor keeps running for another few seconds.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Linda Z
15 REPLIES 15

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a tarus motor, the gear wasn't the correct one to fit my kwickee gear.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

Mine was a Ford power window motor for $45 at Auto Zone----exact fit right down to the wire plug ins.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I looked over all the internet Kwickee steps motor posts and decided to change mine. I used a Cardone part number 42-16. It was the same casting part number as my delco unit that was oem in my 1989 Southwind 30' with double steps. I had to modify it some by cutting a couple of aluminum nubs and tapping a couple of holes 10/24 and 3/8 16. the plug connector was exactly the same as was the motor. The main gear prys out as a cartrige and you have to use it with the new motor. You also have to cut off the slotted gear adjuster even with the lock nut. Keep your old core till your finished, then get the 20$ bucks back. I found mine at Orielly auto. Cardone is one of the last rebuilders around so about any auto supply should be able to provide one. mine was $79.00
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

I put a new motor on mine----$45 at auto zone----that motor fits about every Ford model includeing SUVs and pick ups 1986 till in the mid 90s, maybe longer but it is a common motor. Drivers side front door.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
The steps are repairable by a DIY'er but be careful when the steps are in motion thay can hurt you.

Also do not lose the little gear that has a tendency to fall out when you remove the motor.

Best of luck.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I will and thanks -- we used a fish stringer!

DtBt
Explorer
Explorer
For the motor check out Kwickee step motor replacement – 86-95 Taurus LF window motor
NAPA BK665-1395
AutoZone Dorman 742-206

For the linkage check out Kwikee 909534000 RV Steps Linkage Kit. I found it on Amazon for $42.

When my step went out I used a bungee cord to keep in and a couple of blocks of wood to keep it out when parked. Watch you step.
Dennis and Barb
2005 Safari Panther Diamond IV
1999 Monaco Windsor 40 SS (sold)
2002 Chevy Avalanche toad

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your offer and we will be delighted to take you up on that! Hubby is confident he can do the repair with a little guidance. He thinks it is worn teeth on the starting motor arm. The steps are a Series 27 and are on our 1994 Rexhall Aerbus 3300XL - although these are probably not original equipment. Can a not-so-expert shade-tree mechanic handle this?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Linda, first it is important to know what year steps you have and second it is important for you to know how to trouble shoot the step mechinism. So what year was your rig built and do you know what series the steps are? The series can be found on a label on the steps. There is a trouble shooting manual on line at Kwikee that you can download. I'm kind of getting ahead of myself. I assume you or someone close to you is going to work on the steps, they are very easy to repair and I will give you a like to one of my posts that will help you through the whole process. There are no woodruff keys or shear pins, so forget that whole thing. The link is; Link. I can give more detailed help if you need it, just PM me and give me the age and series of your steps. Of course you'll need the download from Kwikee and my post. You only need a few tools and most homeowners have them on hand. So give it a try and have fun.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
most likely it's the primary teflon gear driven by the motors metal worm gear that's damaged. Same thing happened to my steps this year. In my case I replaced the entire mechanism. Don't know why they don't use a metal primary gear but must be some reason.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If the gear is stripped it is a lot cheaper to replace the motor from NAPA or other auto parts store. The motors are the same as a power window motor on a car. I have 3 steps on mine and it is the same as a '79 Town Car, LF window motor. They seem to like the ones from various Ford products. I paid $65 for my motor vs $255 from Kwikee. Be very careful when working on steps. There is a lot of torque in those little motors and they can remove fingers etc.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the motor is running and the steps are not moving that is one of three things.. Either a sheared woodruff key or other shear pin or key (Which I do not think is the case) Or stripped gears in the transmission (Which I do think is the case) or the motor housing is broken (very rare but not impossible) in which case the gears are damaged and need replacing as well.

In short, You blew your transmission.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We lubed everything that moved. No change. I will give them a call on Monday - thanks.

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
Try spaying everything with Silicone spray. Swivel points, hinges, switches, and connections. Then recycle the steps a couple of times and see if that helps.
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD