cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Blocks???

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Being Class A newbies we would like to know what everyone uses for their leveling blocks? My hubby bought and cut some 2x10's to length but these seem very cumbersome! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I work with 3/4 exterior plywood I've cut for my stacks, when not using plastic leveling blocks (Lynx works in my case, because we are looking at 80 PSI) loads at the max. 2-inch dimensional lumber is way to big an increment for my usually leveling issues, might be raising one wheel (or dually pair) less than an inch.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Check out DICA pads. I researched a lot and really didn't want wood for maintenance, splinters, etc. wanted pass big enough that would at least double the size of jack pad in case I was off a bit on where I placed them.

Found the DICAs and these particular ones were like 160 each! Found guy on eBay selling a bunch of them and got a set of 4 for 150. These things have handles and are the bomb. Their load rating is more than they would ever see and they will last a lifetime and then some...so solidly built and large enough I haven't missed yet.

Yes, there are cheaper ones or you can build but buy one good set and good.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
I use the single (2x2) Camco blocks for the front wheels and the wide (4x2)blocks below under the duals. Easier to set up because the wider blocks don't move.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
Can't imagine how some of you are breaking the Lynx ones. One of my sets is 20 years old, used on gravel, dirt, grass, pavement, concrete or whatever. Haven't ever broken or even chipped one. The yellow look alikes, maybe, as they seem to be of a harder plastic, but the Lynx are somewhat pliable.

It might be that if it's supporting a 12' wide tire loaded to 7,000 lbs and it's slightly unlevel that breaking is a possibility.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We used wooden blocks for years. At the lake we would dig holes to level.

Loving God's Country! wrote:
Being Class A newbies we would like to know what everyone uses for their leveling blocks? My hubby bought and cut some 2x10's to length but these seem very cumbersome! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so very much for your input, it is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine how some of you are breaking the Lynx ones. One of my sets is 20 years old, used on gravel, dirt, grass, pavement, concrete or whatever. Haven't ever broken or even chipped one. The yellow look alikes, maybe, as they seem to be of a harder plastic, but the Lynx are somewhat pliable.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
For me wood was way too heavy and bulky. I had 4 to 5 sets of 10 Lynx blocks. At 8 inches wide they were plenty large enough for my 19.5 inch tires. I have seen them used many times with 22.5 inch tires also.

do they really extend out enough to support the edges of the tire tread?
bumpy

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a 2 X 12 board cut into 12 X 12 squares. One $10 board gave me 8 squares. Two are packed away at home and the other four are stored in the coach. Use them under the jacks when ever I'm parked on dirt, asphalt or other suspected soft material. Can't beat the price and if one should crack it will make great starter wood for a camp fire. Haven't cracked on in six years of occasional use.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I use Douglas Fir 2 X 10 that are 2 feet long. I buy them at Lowes in 8 foot lengths and they cut each piece down to two feet for free. They also stack very nicely in my storage compartment. I also like the toughness of wood and the wood smell that they emit.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
For me wood was way too heavy and bulky. I had 4 to 5 sets of 10 Lynx blocks. At 8 inches wide they were plenty large enough for my 19.5 inch tires. I have seen them used many times with 22.5 inch tires also. You do have to use a set-up for each dual of course.
I would break one from time to time and considered that a cost of travel.
Towards the end of my full timing, I got older, grouchier, and much less tolerant of sites that my hydraulic levelers couldn't handle and I didn't need nearly as many sets of Lynx blocks.

This is what they look like HERE
If you were to store an RV for a month sitting on them for more I would recommend using the "Lynx Caps"
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also use dimension lumber. Scott, yours are prettier than mine but they still work. Would not want to put the weight on the Lynx or smaller ones as they will crack very quickly. Even have one set for sale right now since I don't trust them to carry the weight.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Loving God's Country! wrote:

LGsC,
Well, any nominal lumber, i.e. 2"x4", 2"x6", 2"x8", and 2"x 10", WILL CRACK at some point in time, some sooner, some later. You see, there's no strength laterally to keep it from cracking. Any undo stress, that puts un-even torque on that 2"x10", i.e. dirt or off road leveling in those kinds of camping situations, will crack them, guaranteed. Now, you say that their "cumbersome"? Well, yes ANY wood is cumbersome, no way around that.

The "Leggo building blocks" that so many are talking about are fine, in many situations but, they too are subject to crack and break. I know because, I've cracked and broke those Leggo ones many times. If you camp or park on nothing but perfectly level, pavement or concretes, yes, those will suffice but, you'd have to make sure they are as wide as your tires are or, if not, you're subjection your expensive tires to potential damage due to uneven supporting of the treads.

I've been using any and all types of lumber, Leggo blocks and more for decades. Because we camp in places that are not perfectly level, many of the times, we need a small lumber yard to accomplish leveling to our satisfaction.

I use nominal lumber too but, I've created a way to handle the "cracking" situation. I SANDWICH all my nominal lumber with 3/4" plywood. Plywood, in and of itself, is not all that strong but, if you apply it to the lumber in the manor in which I have, together you get some seriously strong, extra heavy duty leveling blocks. Without going into miles of details, just take a look at the pictures below and see if there's anything that might catch your eye. In essence, when you sandwich the nominal lumber, it might (and quite often still will)crack but, IT CAN'T GO ANYWHERE! The plywood keeps everything intact.

I also install what's called "Mule Tape" for handles. All that is is, some 5/8" wide Nylon webbing, cut to a length that fits my hands and, is screwed on with larger wood screws and washers. That way, I can use a hook tool and retrieve them easily from under the coach or, I can carry them easily. And a really good part, those handles COLLAPSE when the blocks are stored tight against each other. Can't beat that!

Yes, it's a bit of weight to haul around, big deal. We've always got what it takes to handle many leveling situations we encounter. It's a matter of preference and what's important to you. It doesn't cost a one red cent to haul this lumber around and, I have a dedicated space for it. See what you think.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2 x 10's also. They work good ether under the tires or leveling jacks.