cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lookin for an easy pump

windofthesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from what I would consider a successful trip, meaning the beast didn't break down and I didn't bleed. However I have a question. We are good sam members and would like to take advantage of the fuel discounts, but I usually can't get my 35 foot beetle puller in to the station, because of size issues. I've walked around to the back side where the big rig diesels are in hopes of seeing a regular gas pump and so far have not seen one. So am I just blind or is the back side only for diesels. Any info would be nice, thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
All fueling stations are different! The Pilot here off I-40 on the way to Lake Havasu City, AZ. has gas up front, diesel in back, and the front side has 3 Islands for Rv's both gas and diesel! FYI, in case you ever head out this way!

windofthesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input from everybody. I'm at least glad I'm not going blind.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, truck lanes have been all diesel only everywhere I have been.

I fill in the rear as well and it can be a pain at times, especially when the pump hose attachment at the top doesn't extend out on that retractable cord like most do. I to either have to block the entire lane or sometimes I can get away with hitting the battery disconnect so the steps don't extend and I can get out of the door when I am parked close enough for the hose to reach.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
We always look for stations with pumps that are PARALLEL to the station building/road, as opposed to PERPENDICULAR to the station building/road.
We fill from the rear, and usually have our toad behind us. About 50% of the stations we use are Cumberland Farms, 7 Eleven, etc., along with regular gas stations.
With pumps that run parallel to the road, it's usually pretty easy to pull into the island...just have to decide whether to use the forward pump or the rear pump depending on parking lot layout, etc. Either way, I block the whole island while fueling up, but never had a problem with that.

And I agree with not worrying about a discount. The $3-$4 I might save just isn't worth the hassle.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
You can download the PFJ RV Travel Guide that will show you which PFJ locations have RV pumps, where both gas and diesel are available.

You can also sign up for their My Rewards card which will give you discounts on your fuel purchases.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My Rv is a little over 36 with a Jeep in tow and even worse because I fill from the rear but I've not had any problems but then I don't target Flying J stations, At .03 per gallon savings, I spend the extra 2.50 and avoid the hassles.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
I've been caught going in and then finding the only way out was by letting someone else move first. This taught me a lesson, never pull in unless you have an exit strategy.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
We have a gas rig about the same size as yours. You can fit in more places than you think. Just make sure to think things out before you pull into the pumps. In some cases I block the pumps on both sides and make it work. Yes places like Flying J have special pump islands but they're not always available...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the areas designated as truck pumps will not have gas, only diesel.
You can find RV friendly gas pumps at Flying J but not Loves or Pilot. You can find gas stations where the very outside pumps will allow you access in and out but they are by no means the majority.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pilot Flying J is one choice. And No there is no gas with the big rigs.