cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are class B's & conversion vans so expensive?

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I was pricing some used class B's and conversion vans this afternoon, and was shocked at how expensive they are. Why are these units priced so high compared to a similar year/mileage class C or even some A's? I saw one conversion van (not even a B) that was being sold for $75,000.00? That's almost what I paid for my house. Incredible.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years
43 REPLIES 43

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP has got his answer, and this thread has now wondered off topic, so I'm going to close it.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Jean S wrote:
I think as a single person, I would have chosen a "B." Hubby and I camped in a van in our younger days and loved it. I could probably fulltime in a B by myself, but as a married couple planning on fulltiming, we need more space. It's not just the bodies, it's the hobbies. Fishing, quilting, camping videos, etc, all eat up space.

When I got my "B" (1992 conversion van) in 2011 my husband was a confirmed "flyover" person. He decided to drive with me to the east coast the summer of 2012 but he didnt like the claustrophobia of two of us in the RVan. The summer of 2013 he got a big tent and we did the east coast and down to the Keys. He liked it better. Now I am poised to get a teardrop trailer just for him for summer 2014 trip to the west coast. Basically, separate "rooms" with space all our own. LOL. I think I got him converted.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
I think as a single person, I would have chosen a "B." Hubby and I camped in a van in our younger days and loved it. I could probably fulltime in a B by myself, but as a married couple planning on fulltiming, we need more space. It's not just the bodies, it's the hobbies. Fishing, quilting, camping videos, etc, all eat up space.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am impressed by the LTV Free Spirit SS with Murphy bed(electric). Look at all the space back there and the big bathroom. Bed is mid section but you can walk around it! Lots of cupboard space. For me, this is really a great floorplan. Pricey but it has all you ever needed.
AL

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
On the Class B Forum, there are statistics that show the class "A" and "C" markets are pretty healthy right now, especially "C"s. EEE/LTV should at least start trying to get back in the market, as they make some very good rigs, from what I've seen at used dealerships.

Oh, I think they know exactly what they are doing. They are concentrating on delivering their best sellers and can barely keep up with demand. Certainly a good position to be in...
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
On the Class B Forum, there are statistics that show the class "A" and "C" markets are pretty healthy right now, especially "C"s. EEE/LTV should at least start trying to get back in the market, as they make some very good rigs, from what I've seen at used dealerships.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
Leisuretravelvans used to be EEE(Triple E) which made excellent, winterized C class and A Class motorhomes. Not sure about current EEE motorhomes manufacturing. Most C and A class MHs are built in the US with many excellent companies and products.

LTV has always been LTV, but they were purchased by EEE a few years back. EEE was the top builder of Class A and Class C in Canada. I guess their idea was to have them all. Well, the Class A market died... followed by their Class C. Part of it was that the LTV line took off. They were making two Class B units and a small C on either the Sprinter or Chevy platform (my Libero). They expanded the small C line and EEE made them start calling them Class Bs (even though they are not)

The popularity of the LTV units has meant that they have completely taken over the factory line and the EEE units have pretty much disappeared. But whether made with a EEE label or an LTV label, they build great little motorhomes.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
The big time builders/converters in Canada are: Roadtrek,Pleasure-way,GreatWestVan,LeisureTravelVan.They produce the B conversions which are mostly exported to the USA. Some buyers here but not nearly as significant as Stateside.

Australia is towables and more towables and some Motorhomes.
RV's are well Unique. There are over 100 caravan manufacturers alone, add in over 120 Campertrailer and about roughly 15 Motorhome builders, then there is a lot to service the Australian Market!!!!
An example an Off Road Caravan builder and their "Grenade"

Suspension details of an Off Road Caravan

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The big time builders/converters in Canada are: Roadtrek,Pleasure-way,GreatWestVan,LeisureTravelVan.They produce the B conversions which are mostly exported to the USA. Some buyers here but not nearly as significant as Stateside. Leisuretravelvans used to be EEE(Triple E) which made excellent, winterized C class and A Class motorhomes. Not sure about current EEE motorhomes manufacturing. Most C and A class MHs are built in the US with many excellent companies and products.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
Interesting really as most of the most popular B brands are made in Canada!!

Most of your RV production in Canada is Class B's? I could count roughly 6 manufacturers but very few builders of other types of RV's which tended to be TC builders.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Well, anyway, folks. My observation referred to Canada as buying a Canadian-certified for use model is advisable. I was also thinking of a diesel like the Plateau TS or GWV Legend. Never see many here for sale, certainly not at the RV dealers. Quite a few on Ford chassis though. With a population of 35 million here instead of your 300 million there you can see why there are so many available in the US for sale if as noted by the ever reliable/helpful My Roadtrek, there are so many for sale Stateside. A class B with 100K miles, if diesel, is not a big deal. I bought mine with 50K miles and I intend to put on another 50K unless I convince myself to buy a new or newer model. Prices are higher usually in Canada by the way for new or used B class rigs. Interesting really as most of the most popular B brands are made in Canada!!

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I can speak only for pleasure-way Lexor and Excel models. I wanted a late model Lexor and found they were few and far between and prices on 2009 and 2010 models that I could find were very near to that of a new one. I decided then to look at Excels, same thing, very few low mileage 2009 through 2011 units available, and again very expensive. I finally found a 2012 that was only five months old with 3,200 miles on it 15 miles from home for sale by owner who just wanted to get rid of it and I got it for less than the 2010 models were listed for. Also, I did make 3 prior offers on them and all three would not budge on their prices and we're soon sold. One last comment, there were a lot of late model diesel models available.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

bar_20
Explorer
Explorer
First I don't live in Laramie, I live on the Pacific Coast. The majority of Roadtreks for sale at Roadtrek International are over five years old. All I was saying compared to Class C's the amount of Class B's for sale is far smaller. I recently purchased my 2007 Roadtrek Adventurous with 10k miles. It was on the consignment lot for two days and the dealer had five back up offers behind us. On the other hand he had three other Class B's in stock all over 10 years old all over 100k miles on their clocks. One a Chinook, one a PW and the third a RT all three are still there. Maybe the people selling them live in an area that B's are hard to sell. A few years ago when I lived in California I had 2004 RT 170 that I was selling. it had 18k miles on it. I had it listed on RV Trader for one week and it sold to the first person that called. They drove down from Montana to pick it up. I had at least 10 callers after I made the deal to sell it. BTW I sold it for $3,500 less then I paid for it.
Steve & Donalee
2007 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous
2011 KIA Sportage SX
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible
1948 MG TC
2005 PT Cruiser convertible Toad

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I should ask what's your point? I was responding to Fastpaddler comment about Class B's being hard to find. Obviously there not that rare, as there are thousands of them for sale. Also, I never said anything about low mileage, but search the web and you will find lots of them with low mileage.
I don't think you can compare the B market in Laramie with the larger markets across the US.