cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking at 2003 37' Damon Intruder 375, opinions needed

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped for over ten years in travel trailers. This time DW would like to move into a Class A. We have been looking for a few months.
We came across this Damon Intruder 375, WE love the layout, it is so different then most of the other layouts.

Since the class A will be new to me I hoping hoping to get some answers form you Class A veterans.

Any widespread issues with this model?
Does it really matter Ford verses Chevy? No brand wars please, just asking
We have a 16' car hauler that we would like to pull behind. The trailer weighs 1700# Option 1 is to put the 5000# Chevy equinox on the trailer or put the 3800# Saturn Ion on the trailer. Would the RV have an issue pulling either setup?

We have found 2 different Intruders
2003 37' Damon Intruder 375, 51k miles $44,900. Link to the RV

2002 37' Damon Intruder 375 37k miles $25,900. Link to RV

They appear to be the same unit, just different interior colors and one year different.
Im not sure why the price is so far apart, they are both Fords and both seems to be in the same good condition.

Thank you for any opinions you may have, We dont want to buy a RV we will be unhappy with due to issues.

Ken
Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input
Our equinox is all wheel drive, 4 down I would think would be bad, I rather not put the wear on the eqinox, I would rather put it on the trailer. I do see where you guys are coming from about loosing the un needed trailer weight.
I am a Chevy guy too but I have read a lot of happy campers with a ford drivetrain. All I care about is that it gets us where we want to go without breaking down.

I wonder how I can find out if the 03 has the upgrade that was mentioned

Ken
Hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in a 2005 377W (Workhorse chassis, Chevy Engine)

I like the house.

Ford or Chevy.. Well,,, The arguments there are loud and long and I will only say this.. They are both right close to each other .. I happen to be a chevy fan myself but.. alas... Perhaps not since mine is blown (needs 10K replacment).

Allison Tranny is tops though.

Only known issues I can tell about is my sorta: Joke about RVers having a few screws loose.... I had to tighten several when this rig was new, but since you are buying used.. Most likely already tightened.

Screws included circuit breakers, Power inlet (And on a different rig the marinco OUTLET on the end of the cord) and more.... Loose screws are routine and a #2 Square bit should be in your toolbox.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
looks like camping world has a few damon's in Florida for 45k 2005/6
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot see putting the Equinox or Ion on a trailer. Just saying. Our Equinox is an easy 4Down toad.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

FC
Explorer
Explorer
The year of the chassis is important. The 2003 model year switched to Bilistein shocks and there was a HP increase according to the Ford literature I have. Also want to make sure they are on the 22,000 lb chassis.
Our 03 chassis was the 350th of the upgraded chassis.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

jy
Explorer
Explorer
They both probally have hitches rated at 3500 lbs.{maybe 5000lbs}.The factory welds frame extensions on the Ford frames and they don,t make them very strong.I have a friend with a mobile welding company and he reinforced my frame and hitch.He has done a few others and no one has had problems.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Less weight the better. 6700 lbs is alot of weight to be pulled behind a V-10 motor home. I'd go with the Saturn, either pulled 4 down, or a less weight tow dolly. Loss the 1500 lb trailer.

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
Both of them are Ford's
The only difference I can see is the interior color and the 2002 has the upgraded larger refrigerator.

Im hoping someone can comment on the towing

Thanks
Ken
Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is that 2003 a chevy/workhorse or ford. if chevy could be on a 2002 or older chassis which might be the old P-30/32 model with its issues.
bumpy