cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at a Kountry Star DP, Opinions?

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously considering a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 39' DP. The MH has a 330hp Diesel and a Spartan chassis. It looks really claen, but I won't know this until I see it in person.

I Know that Newmar has a solid rep for diesel pushers, but want to ask your advice for what to look for in the MH. The dealer is "asking" $99k for it, but I will settle with them for less.

I think the Spartan chassis is a pretty good one also. This is the same combo that Travel Supreme used in their MHs.

Any advice? Thoughts?
Holiday Rambler Arista & Jeep Liberty Toad
19 REPLIES 19

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim, I have the Cummins 330 in my rig, the fluid spitting out the back of the coach could be coming from the radiator overflow tube. There was no coolant recovery system on my rig, so I bought a simple coolant jug at an auto parts store and attached the overflow hose to it. If the coolant is anywhere near visible at the bottom of the sight tube, it will spit out coolant(I know because the radiator grille and the front of my car would show the evidence). I periodically remove the radiator cap and do a finger-dip to make sure the coolant level is OK, even though you can see it at times while it's running. My chassis is a Spartan Mountain Master with the straight front axle instead of the IFS which had problems with the rubber ball joint boots failing (which I understand is a costly repair), make sure to confirm what front end is on that unit, normal thinking was as you went up the food chain, usually you went to the IFS.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
Caterpillar no longer manufactures Over the Road diesel engines. They couldn't or didn't want to meet the EPA requirements for clean diesel. Parts for Cat's seem to be more expensive

My experience is with marine versions of both Cummins and Cat (as well as Detriot). Both provided good service and both had their following.

IMHO... either engine will provide good service and shouldn't be a factor in considering a DP. Focus on floor plan, service records, general condition etc.

Mal

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
I was answering your question in the second post of yours in this topic about CAT & Cummins engines.

Ok, I just didn't understand the point; my bad. So I take it that you're not a fan of Cummins?

Is this because of performance, or reliability, or both?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I don't own a DP, but I drove Semi's OTR for 44 years and 99% of the trucks I drove had CAT engines. And I swear by them I logged over 4 million miles mostly driving with CAT engines at the worst engine I drove went over 750,000 miles before a rebuild and the best milage I got was a little over 1,200,000 miles. The other two engines I drove had to get a rebuild around 1 million miles. I drove with 4 different cat engines thru my career. Our truck shop changed the oil filter every 10,000 miles and changed oil and filter every 20,000 miles on these CAT engines. Whenever my truck went in for repairs I was punished by having to drive the spare truck and it was powered by Cummins!
Off topic but, congratulations, that is a spectacular career, something to be very proud. I'm sure your family is very proud of you.
Bob, Thanks I expressed myself wrong I was trying to show the experience that I have with diesel engines just about my whole adult life.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim wrote:
Well thank you J-Rooster. Besides reading about your travels, what are you trying to say?
I was answering your question in the second post of yours in this topic about CAT & Cummins engines.

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
Well thank you J-Rooster. Besides reading about your travels, what are you trying to say?

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I don't own a DP, but I drove Semi's OTR for 44 years and 99% of the trucks I drove had CAT engines. And I swear by them I logged over 4 million miles mostly driving with CAT engines at the worst engine I drove went over 750,000 miles before a rebuild and the best milage I got was a little over 1,200,000 miles. The other two engines I drove had to get a rebuild around 1 million miles. I drove with 4 different cat engines thru my career. Our truck shop changed the oil filter every 10,000 miles and changed oil and filter every 20,000 miles on these CAT engines. Whenever my truck went in for repairs I was punished by having to drive the spare truck and it was powered by Cummins!
Off topic but, congratulations, that is a spectacular career, something to be very proud. I'm sure your family is very proud of you.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim wrote:
I've done a little more checking and also ran a CARFAX report. When looking at the owner comments, I found the following:

"Ice Machine and water dispenser did not function correctly as was reported to work when RV was purchased. Customer had to contact warranty and have replaced. Engine (Cummings ISC 330hp) was spitting out fluid on trip home and to Florida. Will have this checked when arriving back home to PA. There were no manuals given to me when purchased and am trying to contact past owner to see if they have them. (No Luck to date - 27 Jan 2010) Washer/Dryer door was broken and replaced by Dealer. "

Should I be suspect of this MH? What could be spitting out on the Cummins?

Here is the link for the report.

Carfax Report 2005 Kountry Star

Any help is much appreciated...

Jim

These are not things that I would be overly concerned about as I am sure they were all take care of early on.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a little more checking and also ran a CARFAX report. When looking at the owner comments, I found the following:

"Ice Machine and water dispenser did not function correctly as was reported to work when RV was purchased. Customer had to contact warranty and have replaced. Engine (Cummings ISC 330hp) was spitting out fluid on trip home and to Florida. Will have this checked when arriving back home to PA. There were no manuals given to me when purchased and am trying to contact past owner to see if they have them. (No Luck to date - 27 Jan 2010) Washer/Dryer door was broken and replaced by Dealer. "

Should I be suspect of this MH? What could be spitting out on the Cummins?

Here is the link for the report.

Carfax Report 2005 Kountry Star

Any help is much appreciated...

Jim

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
NADA with no options listed:

2005 Kountry Star
M-3910-SPRTN 330(*)

Base Price: $219,326
Low Retail: $71,450
Average Retail: $86,090

FWIW, when we purchased our Travel Supreme in 09, most rigs were selling for low retail without adding any options. I cannot say if that is the case with MOHO sales today, but hopefully others will jump in with current sales info. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I will check it out.

Oh yeah, Snomas, I will be negotiating the price down from the 99k for sure. In fact, the sales guy hinted to this when I was setting up an appointment to go in and see him.

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim wrote:
I am seriously considering a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 39' DP. The MH has a 330hp Diesel and a Spartan chassis. It looks really claen, but I won't know this until I see it in person.

I Know that Newmar has a solid rep for diesel pushers, but want to ask your advice for what to look for in the MH. The dealer is "asking" $99k for it, but I will settle with them for less.

I think the Spartan chassis is a pretty good one also. This is the same combo that Travel Supreme used in their MHs.

Any advice? Thoughts?

You can get a 24hr free trial on the NADA dealers book. Then you can check out the wholesale price for the Kountry Star. After 24 hrs. its over $100 for the online book. So, find information on all of the coaches you are interested in.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 02 Spartan and the ball joints seam to be OK. I think the price is high but Newmars have good quality interiors for the price. I just had to replace the cummins turbocharger, exhaust manifold, fuel pump and head @ 84K miles. I am little disappointed in that but there was rust in the engine compartment that probably caused a lot the problems.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD