cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for recommendation for Electric Bikes...

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about getting a couple of Electric Bikes, and are looking for some good recommendations.

EDIT:
Your model?

How much does it weigh?

Can the battery be easy taken off? Apparently, these electric bikes are high value for thieves, and if the battery can be easily removed, the thieves might not notice it's an electric bike!

Likes, Dislikes, Prices, and any lessons learned!

Thank you,
marc
Best Regards,....marc & joan
28 REPLIES 28

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I agree we’re in the Model T phase of laws and light enforcement.

As popularity grows and the number of bikes multiply and trails start to get more crowded and a few extreme riders cause issues THEN enforcement starts. Follow California laws.

They usually pave the way for the rest of the country.

Florida is regulating by watts that I know of but by speed.

If it goes over 20 it’s not legal on bike paths or sidewalks.

I’m going to end up with two. A 750 Watt beater and probably
A Motan Addmotor 1000W Bafang mid drive. Fat tires
100 mm adjustable dampened fork 1500w peak
Rated for 350 pounds.

It’s a beast.

I have the 1000 watt Bafang with a 52 volt battery pack and it gets up and fly's, you can upgrade the 30 amp controller to 50 amp and it will get up to 45 mph, seen it done however it will over heat the motor, the wattage law on electric bikes is not the issue on bike paths and such its the speed you drive, you can just hold back your speed when people/police are around and when its clear just let her rip.

My next bike will be 5000 watts, it can do 60+ mph.. :E

old people ride 250 watt slow lame bikes 😛

Xflyhighx
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have two bikes that are setup with BionX rear wheel motors. The best think is that they have a big dealer repair base not that I have had any issues the only issue is they are made in Canada so it could be a few extra days if parts are needed. The battery is installed in the middle with a lock and you can take battery of with a turn of the key. The best investment we did in a long time.
2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000’s
Life is good in the good old USA

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree we’re in the Model T phase of laws and light enforcement.

As popularity grows and the number of bikes multiply and trails start to get more crowded and a few extreme riders cause issues THEN enforcement starts. Follow California laws.

They usually pave the way for the rest of the country.

Florida is regulating by watts that I know of but by speed.

If it goes over 20 it’s not legal on bike paths or sidewalks.

I’m going to end up with two. A 750 Watt beater and probably
A Motan Addmotor 1000W Bafang mid drive. Fat tires
100 mm adjustable dampened fork 1500w peak
Rated for 350 pounds.

It’s a beast.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
The problem with the fast ones is they won’t be legal on most state and federal trails.

There is talk of registration and license plates and basically categorizing them as electric motorcycles.

Don’t get me wrong. I like them too. But I get that the purist pedal only mountain bike crowd doesn’t want 2-3 hp e mountain bikes spewing gravel at them on uphill trails.

Most states require electric bikes 750 watts or more to be licensed as a moped or motorcycle and may have to have insurance, I don't have my 1000 watt licensed or insured and never will, most cops don't know the law or even know where to look on the motor to tell its watts, when I see a cop I just slow down and pedal fast as if I am doing all the work, to find the watts listed on my bike it has to be flipped upside down and it has very small print, thinking of grinding that part off so if ever caught they wont find the watts listed..

Breaking the law is Fun...
:C

32 mph without pedaling

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with the fast ones is they won’t be legal on most state and federal trails.

There is talk of registration and license plates and basically categorizing them as electric motorcycles.

Don’t get me wrong. I like them too. But I get that the purist pedal only mountain bike crowd doesn’t want 2-3 hp e mountain bikes spewing gravel at them on uphill trails.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well there is electric bikes than there is electric bikes, I have a 1000 watt 30 amp fat tire bike that can get up to 32 mph and maintain 18 mph on a hill, I will never own a electric bike unless it was 750 watts or more, there is also some that have 2000 watts 50 amp and they rock..

Just don't get caught doing over 20 mph, some states require you to license it as a moped or even a motorcycle if it has more than 750 watts.

{ I fly under the radar and if ever caught I will just say its 500 watts, most cops would never know }

:W

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are four classifications of e bikes. Three are tentatively allowed on designated bike trails. The landscape is changing nationally with more and more states adopting California’s statutes for allowing e bikes on trails.

Most trails until recently banned all motorized vehicles. That is changing and certain ebiks are being allowed. Twenty mph top speed. Pedal assist, no throttle, 28 mph.

Most Florida trails now allow class 1 and 2 bikes.

I would recommend finding something local unless you’re handy for servicing.

Other things to consider are watts (motor size), weight rating (higher can translate to higher quality with better components).

Motor location. Rear wheel, front wheel or hub motor, which allows you to shift gears.

You want disc brakes and at least front suspension and an air shock seat.

Probably a step thru design for easy on - off.

Bad news is e bikes are on the tariff list so prices are higher than they used to be.
25% and may go up.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have these (yet) but have considered them because of the folding option.
https://www.revelo.ca/pages/flex-electric-folding-bike
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had considered electric bikes but went with a Vespa scooter that can sit on a hitch platform to go with us when we travel. It lets us explore the area without having to have a towable or rental. Fulltimers most likely want a towable but we are just part-timers. We get our exercise by hiking the trails near the campground. Mopeds are another option.

Here's the Vespa website in case you're interested. They also have an electric scooter.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I each have electric bikes. Hers is a Diamondback step thru by CurieTech with a rear wheel motor and mine is a Path Plus with center mount motor. Both are considered Pedal Assist where one has to pedal to make the motor work but hers has a Throttle Assist which allows the motor to run without pedaling.
We have electric bikes because she has an artificial knee and I have heart problems. We have put thousands of miles on them. One problem is that neither one has shocks in the front or back and riding some of the rough trails can be annoying. We have Thud Busters in the seats that help.
One hint: if you buy an electric bike be sure there is a local service shop that can handle them. They are more complex than the standard and not every shop has people that know about them.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Rad Power Bikes. Ours are the Rad minis.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

LewMichele_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
I'll recommend Rad Power Bikes.

Rad Power Bikes

We have had two of them for over 2 tears with no issues. We live in a retirement community and there are about fifteen of them here and I know of no problems. We have the Rad Mini and the Rad Rover.

Check out some of the You Tube videos on these bikes.
'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'06 Arctic Fox 811

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has been on chemo treatments for a long time. She was unable to ride very far at all. I got her a Townie Go and it is amazing. Now it is expensive but very high quality. She can ride to the beach and back at Topsail Hill State park in Florida with no problem. She even did the loop at Cades Cove once. She did say that she didn't want to do that again 😉 (walking the bikes down hills was the hardest part). The Townie Go is a great bike.

(EDIT) At Cades Cove I was walking up hill she would wait for me at the top :B
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
marc515 wrote:
We're thinking about getting a couple of Electric Bikes, and are looking for some good recommendations.

Likes, Dislikes, Prices, and any lessons learned!

Thank you,
marc

We are pondering the same. Have you tried the various web sites offering said product and reading the reviews?