cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

41 REPLIES 41

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
How many places have you been to that your 5er "barely fit"? Those would be places too small for a 45 ft MH.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No state limits the length of MHs to 40' but some like CA require a CDL type licence for RESIDENTS if they have a 40+ MH. When I take my 42' into CA I do NOT have to have a special licence... it's called reciprocity of licence but there is no reciprocity of length. Maybe with a four door Jeep behind a 45' MH you could be over 65'. I have traveled thousand of miles at 42' (with others that were 45') in Canada and never had an issue plus I've seen a bunch of Canadian tour buses that were 45'.

There are some roads that have length limits on them, some even less than 40'. If there is something on one of those, that's what the Jeep is for. In Yellowstone my 42' becomes a 40' and I've never been measured... anywhere. Granted making a 45' into a 40' might trigger the tape measure but there are plenty of public CG sites outside Ystone and the Tetons.

I made the mistake 15 years ago of listening to those on here that said 36' max for the Public CGs we like. Did not take long to realize that is not true, even 13 years ago when it was harder to find info on the web than it is today... no RV Parky or Oh Ranger park finder apps. Our favorite CGs are USFS CGs that do not take reseverations BUT do not show up Friday thinking you will find a site big enough... show up Monday and you almost have the CG to yourself as most have gone back to work.

We love boondocking with our big rig as it has big tanks so going for a week does not require cutting back on anything. We have found going into a USFS CG late Sunday and leaving on Friday works the best for us. We travel, resupply, and use a Private CG (to dump) on the weekend... the exception is a long holiday weekend where we often stay put over the holiday. This past summer we went to South Lake Tahoe without reservations on Labor Day (we rarely make reservations more than on the day we might need it) and found a site in the city park BUT it was on Monday, not Friday.:S

I now advise to buy more RV than you think you need, ONE TIME. I do not understand all of the bath and half floorplans in almost all of the 40' or longer DPs today. I'm full of it, but not that full... to each there own.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice and info... It got me to looking up restrictions - we intend to spend a lot of time in Alaska which means going through Canada... Maximus length everywhere except Yukon is 12.5 meters or 41'6"...

We also want to tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Approximately 33 states have 65' combined length restrictions as well.... Dang. What an eye opener. Glad you all are giving me things to consider. I would have completely missed those two important points.... You all are the best.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forty-five feet is only two feet longer than I am hooked up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few states have, or at least recently had, a 40' limit on legal motorhome length. In practice I doubt you'd be cited for a 45' rig anywhere unless you were doing something ill-advised with it (i.e. going down a road where you're clearly too long for the conditions). But, if you want to be legal anywhere in the US, you should probably limit the length to 40'.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
TheLostDutchman wrote:
So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.

When we were shopping for an "A" in the 34-36 foot range, we bought a 40' and never have regretted it. I don't see if another 4-5 feet would make a difference. you are moving into the type of camping we do, stop in an area we want to see, and spend Time checking it out.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully you can keep your smaller units for those back off the grid places you like so well... Nothing wrong with having both unless going full time does away with your home base idea where you can keep extra things stored...

I never made it to the big items but I imagine I would not be able to keep up with maintenance and added costs involved with those hugh machines...

We are in our mid 70s now and still like the RV CAMPING idea verses the RV TRAVELING idea... This keeps up for the most part within 200 miles or so around our home base with maybe a couple of longer trips down to the Myrtle Beach and Gatlinburg areas to visit with family...

My younger sister and her hubby had the hugh 5th wheel and traveled all over with it so I got to hear about all of the expenses involved keeping all of that up in good shape. Then they started staying in West banks of FLA for several months a year and finally got rid of the 5th wheel and got a winter home in FLA. Now they drive down and spend the winter months there in the FLA home...

If you gots the resources go far it haha... We are back to tent camping this season until we find some good prices of our battery bank replacement costs. Kinda looking forward to that haha...

Thats what we lived for back in the 60s and 70s especially when we was living in the Arizona area going to the high country alot there...

Nothing wrong with this setup for sure hehe...

Roy's Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
One place of which I know is: Hwy 140 from Yosemite to Merced, CA has a bridge with a 40 foot limit. Also potentially it may be hard to find an RV park with an available long space, mandating good planning.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Bill,

We have been RV'ing regularly since 2007 owing a 42' coach for 7.5 yrs. and now the current 45' coach just over 2 yrs. Very few times have parks not been able to accommodate us.

The Denver area has always been the most difficult place to get a RV park reservation.

We like RV resorts as they usually are gated and guarded and are in fun cities to visit. But, we have stayed in everything else in between!

I have to say, I can tell a difference in the 3 additional feet. I have to be a little more careful making tight turns and watching rear swing. But, it's worth having the extra space and a bath and a half.

Because of our size, I also have to watch for low tree branches which you would with any larger coach.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for your quick replies. We were just at the Phoenix Good Sam's RV Show... Spent a week there and found exactly what we think we are looking for. Glad to hear neither of you have regrets or issues.
Thanks again. Bill
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I stay in standard RV parks that are not expensive luxury ones. They can easily accommodate 45' rigs. If you like the floor plan etc, go for it.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
You have been RVing for longer than us so I don't know about giving you any advise but I'll share a couple thoughts. We went from 36', to 40', to 44' over 20 years and have zero regrets. We chose the size of rig we wanted to live in over where we go with it.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone