Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy used (1998-2003) Class MH

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are looking to buy a used Class A MH (1998-2003). Has anyone had experience with that and can tell us what to look out for with an older MH? How long do transmissions usually last in these vehicles? We are first time RVers.
Thanks!
Teresa
40 REPLIES 40

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
A follow-up to my earlier post - watch out for fridge problems. The Dometic unit in ours died in April, just as we were 2 days from leaving on a 3-week trip down the Oregon coast. It got cut to 2 weeks and we got a new fridge after we got back. The average lifespan of those things is 10 years and we were out about $1800 to replace it.

We had a couple of other problems. The first was the slide topper on the living room slide. The original owners had always parked it at their house with the slides deployed. The LR side of the rig faced south. When we looked at the MH, the leading edge of the topper for that slide was frayed. We didn't think it was a problem, but in fact, the entire topper fabric was rotted away, leaving just the netting-like substrate. We got rain water into the dinette cabinets. Fortunately, there was no other damage and I was able to build a replacement.

Our second, still unresolved issue is the generator. I was out of action for about 3 months after a cardiac op and din't get out to the RV to run the generator. When I finally did try, it wouldn't start. Since we don't use it (being FHU campers!), I haven't chased it down, but I'll have to get it fixed before we try to sell.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to send you a private message. Make me a friend. Or send me your email by private message.

craziresi wrote:
Hi,
We are looking to buy a used Class A MH (1998-2003). Has anyone had experience with that and can tell us what to look out for with an older MH? How long do transmissions usually last in these vehicles? We are first time RVers.
Thanks!
Teresa

deaop01
Explorer
Explorer
craziresi,

I tried to PM you but not on your list.

Contact me at rb.clay@earthlik.net as I have a MH you might
be intrested in. Its a 2002 and in your price range.

Thank you

Ron
Betty and Ron
2002 Bounder 31W
8.1 with 5 speed Allison
2 slides
2005 Colorado toad

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
it depended on the chassis whether or not it had 19.5" or 22.5" wheels, not the year.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
T, I have a 03 Winnebago Adventurer with a one piece fiberglass roof way easier to keep clean than the rubber roof I own previously when I owned a Fleetwood. And I don't know when Winnebago changed tire sizes on there Adventurer? Like I said I own a 03 and the tire size is 22.5 and, I have seen Adventurer go down the road with 19.5 tires, but I don't know what year?

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
We've heard both pros and cons for Fiberglass vs rubber roofs. Anyone have a compelling reason to get one over the other? A 2002 Damon Challenger 3275 has the rubber roof and Winnebago Adventurer the fiberglass roof. Sounds like the rubber roof is harder to take care of.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I bought a 2002 Itasca 32V Sunrise with 9500 miles on it in April. Had the dealer fix several minor items (electrical element in the water heater, broken drawer, broken guide on bedroom door). Bought it knowing we needed to replace the tires (original) but we went into the deal knowing this so were able to get the dealer to price the coach accordingly. We had a class C (29' Jayco Greyhawk) prior so kinda knew what to look for. With the money we saved over buying a new/newer coach we were able to pay for the tires and put some money away for the inevitable repairs. I do love to tinker so have been able to do the small things (change the oil, winterize, wash/wax, etc.)that need to be done on any rig new or old. Since we also are on a budget, we didn't consider the DP's although we did look at used ones, we found that the price for used DP's is significantly (IMHO)higher than the used gassers. I am in the process of changing out belts and hoses (did all the fluids right after I purchased the coach) found that they are all in fairly good shape, as is the rig. We put 6000 miles on it this summer without any issues, so I'm feeling like we made the right decision. Anyway, welcome to the forum and happy trails.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
T, if you get a chance go to the net, DemartiniRV then the dot com they have a dealership in California and Indiana they get some older really nice coaches at times.

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, rent a couple of times before you buy. Really showed me what I liked and what I didn't.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
crazieresi - I can tell from your posts that you are not even close to being ready to buy a complex older vehicle like a motorhome. You should consider renting for a few weekend trips and get some experience before you spend a bunch of hard earned money.

Here is something to remember. It is easy to buy an older motorhome if you do not know what to look for and have many thousands of dollars of repairs come up shortly after buying it. Rent first. Several times.

If you have to buy something now get a gas powered class A or C. The newer the better.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
tag axles were used on chassis that didn't have the capacity needed for the weight, so an extra axle was added to the extended frame. As mentioned it is two more tires to worry about. I've never liked them. If you are in Rochester, a Winnebago would be a good purchase for you as you are about two hours from the factory.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
The third, or rear set is the tag axle. Helps with weight, simple put. But remember, it will be two more tires that need replacing when the need comes. Low budgets and dated motor homes can be challenging. I'd lean towards the standard chassis, less maintenance. Just my thoughts. Good like and share some pix

craziresi wrote:
Need some thoughts on this. 1998 Fleetwood bounder 60,920 miles 3 tires each side in back vs 2001 Winnebago 52000 miles. Winnebago has 2 tires in back each side. What is the difference with the number of tires in back? Thought on makes and years.
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
Need some thoughts on this. 1998 Fleetwood bounder 60,920 miles 3 tires each side in back vs 2001 Winnebago 52000 miles. Winnebago has 2 tires in back each side. What is the difference with the number of tires in back? Thought on makes and years.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Georgetown 325, which is a 32-footer, F53 chassis and 6.8 L V-10. We bought it in 2010 from the original owner. Bedroom and dinette slides. It has about 15,000 miles from new, and we've put about 3K on it.

With the potential increase in gas tax in WA (an additional 11 cents) it's going to get to the point we can't afford the lifestyle any longer. If you're interested, send me a pm.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)