cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOST POWER

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
OK folks...I have a 40ft Desiel Motorhome (Alpine Coach)

Unit sat for two weeks -- came back -- started unit, fine.

All Electrical items on Coach fine - everything worked like a charm.

Started generator to exercise it -- power transferred over fine and Gen ran everything fine for the hour exercise.

THEN, today, two (2) days later in the PM I lost Power --- I do have a Surge Protector at the pole. Green light on -- reset breaker at pole. Protector cycled fine -- still no power inside.
Also checked and reset all breakers inside -- all fine!

Started Generator -- could hear the trasferswitch kick BUT no power produced.

Remember, two days prior -- everything worked perfectly

What has happened here -- could my 50amp breaker be bad

Advice needed

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
When that happened with our Xantrex inverter they suggested:

Disconnect the AC input (which you have done by bypassing it)
Disconnect the DC connection to the inverter for at least two hours.

This is what they called a "hard reset" and worked once with a previous before it failed completely a few years later.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Brodie1234 wrote:
OK folks, here's the outcome of my problem - passing along for others to know what NOT to do;

>> No A/C coming OUT of my Inverter -- Power in, Nothing coming OUT"

Lesson Learned -- Be careful running Portable Heater"S" in your unit - I understand it is a common error made by many!

THANKS to ALL that helped me with this

FYI - For now, Bypassed Inverter totally and MY A/C is working great ... Once I'm ready to spend 800-1200 I'll have another Inverter installed.

Running a heater should not harm your inverter at all. I suspect that there is a circuit breaker on your inverter itself that just needs to be reset.

As said it should protect itself from overuse/misuse - get someone to test it before you toss it - there are still some who know how to repair things - not many but a few.

Thanks for passing on the solution.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brodie1234 wrote:
OK folks, here's the outcome of my problem - passing along for others to know what NOT to do;

Lesson Learned -- Be careful running Portable Heater"S" in your unit - I understand it is a common error made by many!

FYI - For now, Bypassed Inverter totally and MY A/C is working great ... Once I'm ready to spend 800-1200 I'll have another Inverter installed.

Running a heater should not harm your inverter at all. I suspect that there is a circuit breaker on your inverter itself that just needs to be reset.

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
There may be some confusion setting in here.

1. Are ONLY those circuits fed through the inverter/charger not working, or are other things like roof A/C not working. If only inverter/charger fed circuits not working, indeed look at the on-inverter breakers. But, if A/C's not working as well (i.e. whole 120 VAC system down) then the ATS OUT and breaker box IN connections are a good place to start.

An, the "salesman switch" is 12 VDC. Unrelated to the 120 VAC system, unless the thermostats for the roof A/C are 12 VDC, etc.

120 is out - will not work from the pole or when the GEN is running. When everything is OFF --- w/ CORD unplugged. Inverter DOES come on and the GFI inside did reset and works.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
When checking your inverter, look for one or two small push pins. Those are your breakers on the box. You simply push them in if they're popped out...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There may be some confusion setting in here.

1. Are ONLY those circuits fed through the inverter/charger not working, or are other things like roof A/C not working. If only inverter/charger fed circuits not working, indeed look at the on-inverter breakers. But, if A/C's not working as well (i.e. whole 120 VAC system down) then the ATS OUT and breaker box IN connections are a good place to start.

An, the "salesman switch" is 12 VDC. Unrelated to the 120 VAC system, unless the thermostats for the roof A/C are 12 VDC, etc.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Brodie1234 wrote:
OK folks...I have a 40ft Desiel Motorhome (Alpine Coach)

Unit sat for two weeks -- came back -- started unit, fine.

All Electrical items on Coach fine - everything worked like a charm.

Started generator to exercise it -- power transferred over fine and Gen ran everything fine for the hour exercise.

THEN, today, two (2) days later in the PM I lost Power --- I do have a Surge Protector at the pole. Green light on -- reset breaker at pole. Protector cycled fine -- still no power inside.
Also checked and reset all breakers inside -- all fine!

Started Generator -- could hear the trasferswitch kick BUT no power produced.

Remember, two days prior -- everything worked perfectly

What has happened here -- could my 50amp breaker be bad

Advice needed

Thanks

On my TS there is a switch on the front by the steps that will turn everything off. (almost everything) you might want to check to see if there is something like that or not. Otherwise I'd be into that TransferSwitch to see what didn't happen.

BOL,

Once, one of the little ones bumped it and it took all day to find it, as it was not something I had touched.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
When that happens to me, it is usually because the transfer switch inside my inverter has popped its breaker. I just reset the breaker on the Inverter.

That transfer switch breaker (not to be confused with the Gen/Shore TS) will pop, if I am using too much AC power draw (ie. Microwave, hair dryer, heater, coffee maker, roof air, heat pump etc).
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you are safe working around 240 VAC, open the ATS and unplugged, generator off and inverter off, check the connections, particularly those going OUT from ATS to main breaker box.

Since both generator and shore power are now inoperative, it suggests a problem on the OUT side of the ATS, main breaker box, etc.

This assumes when you say nothing works, that no 120 VAC items work, not just outlets.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Check the breakers on your inverter and also check your GFIs. Flip the breakers off and then reset. On the GFI, push the test button and then the reset. It has to have power to reset.

I did check the breakers - Fine. The GFI light was out and would not reset. Need to check the inverter - hoping that can be reset and solve the issue. Relay in the Transfer Switch was mentioned- I'd have to have an RV Shop check that. Hoping we find that its something that i can do

Thanks

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Check the breakers on your inverter and also check your GFIs. Flip the breakers off and then reset. On the GFI, push the test button and then the reset. It has to have power to reset.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
The transfer switch has relays in place that switch the transfer switch from one side to the other. One of those may be bad.
jwmII

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Have you checked main CB in the (inside) electric panel? Also, if you have an inverter/charger, the CB on it flips and the pass through stops.

All Breakers in the box seem to be OK -- reset fine and feel strong.
I'll check the inverter/charger in the morning. It should have a reset button on it somewhere??