cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Coolant sensor

inky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1991 Beaver with a 3116 Cat engine. My low coolant alarm and warning light come as soon as I turn the key. The coolant is full. How can I check to see if the sensor is the problem.

Thanks,

Joe
10 REPLIES 10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The sensor is basically a switch. It is either normally open or closed, which makes it easy to bypass. If you remove it you should be able to see a manufacturer's name and maybe a part number. I have had pretty good luck with RockAuto.com when I look up a part using just the part number. Once you know exactly what you are looking for, it should be easy to find another, cheaper, source for the part.

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
inky......Remove the sensor and use a Scotchbrite pad or something similar on the metal sensing part of the sensor and see if it works. Sometimes these sensors get crud built up on the sensor and won't read properly. This was an issue on some of the newer models.

X2 That is what I would try first. Catch the coolant in a container when removing the sensor. Bill
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

inky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Valve adjustment is on my to do list.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure with the 3116 to have valves adjusted and injector timing checked at regular (like 30k mi) intervals. Check injector sync if engine lopes too badly at idle.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

inky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip. I will try that tomorrow.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
inky......Remove the sensor and use a Scotchbrite pad or something similar on the metal sensing part of the sensor and see if it works. Sometimes these sensors get crud built up on the sensor and won't read properly. This was an issue on some of the newer models.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

inky
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to find a part number for the low coolant sendor. I have a Gillig chassis and it's a Gillig part number. Am I forced to buy this part only from Gillig online? I was hoping to maybe buy it locally.

inky
Explorer
Explorer
The engine never gets a chance to warm up because the engine will shut down in 15 seconds after the alarm goes off.

Joe

ralbert3
Explorer
Explorer
Returned after a 7000 mile trip and check engine and alarm went off with a code stating low coolant. Cummins found a bad censor in bottom of overflow tank. Tech hooked computer and found problem. With computer hooked up he jumped censor. I might not want to cross wrong wires in it. Never checked but you might find that there is only two wires. If that is the case I think it would turn off alarm and lite. Try it and save your self $400.00. Let us know how you made out. Rob
2007 Allegro Bus
2012 Equinox

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Does the light and alarm go off when the engine warms up?
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back