cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP usage

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a 2017 Winnebago 31BE. How long could I expect my propane tank to last under these conditions; slide pulled in, small electric heater running, temp, 29 to 40, out in the open, heat set at 65. I know there are a lot of variables but I'm just trying to get an estimate. I had the tank filled 5 days ago and 1/4 left. Thanks so much.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo
14 REPLIES 14

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
vandave wrote:
Recently purchased a 2017 Winnebago 31BE. How long could I expect my propane tank to last under these conditions; slide pulled in, small electric heater running, temp, 29 to 40, out in the open, heat set at 65. I know there are a lot of variables but I'm just trying to get an estimate. I had the tank filled 5 days ago and 1/4 left. Thanks so much.

With the slide in are you living in it or storing it? If you are storing it you could lower the temperature significantly and save some LP.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee Grinder wrote:
We have a 35’ Georgetown with 2 roof airs that are heat pumps and won’t draw down on the propane. Haven’t had the opportunity to use them yet and don’t know what to expect. Anybody out there have any information?

My heat pump function stops at about 45 degrees outside temp. I boondock in the desert of Western Nevada for 7 days every January where night temps can get down to 25 degrees and daily highs of 50+. I keep the thermostat at 70 degrees and I'll consume about 25% of my 25 gallon (32 gallon tank) capacity.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

campingman55
Explorer
Explorer
i live in south texas and i dont use any propane i use all electric use space heaters nuwave induction cook top and electric hot water my propane has been at 3/4 full for a yr
2005 vectra 40fd motor home and wife and our 2 pita malties and a mini poodle

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
vandave wrote:
Thanks for the replies. On my part is a big Duh. I went back out to see how the little electric heaters were doing and noticed I had let all 3 roof vents open.

Aside from the roof vent issue.... 🙂

At those temps, is your electric heater able to keep up? The furnace is the propane hog so if you can avoid using that or use it very little, you'll be able to go a long time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coffee Grinder wrote:
Anybody out there have any information?
Probably best to start your own thread.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Coffee_Grinder
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35’ Georgetown with 2 roof airs that are heat pumps and won’t draw down on the propane. Haven’t had the opportunity to use them yet and don’t know what to expect. Anybody out there have any information?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much "open"? Just a crack or wide open?
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Were the roof fans running ? Not being smart, but you did leave the vents open.
Dennis Hoppert

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. On my part is a big Duh. I went back out to see how the little electric heaters were doing and noticed I had let all 3 roof vents open.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Going from a ‘reverse engineering’ point of view, spec sheet says your Winnie has an 18 gallon tank, if your gauge is even roughly close, and assuming it really was full, you’ve used about 13 gallons. Winnie also lists your furnace as being a 32k BTU input unit. Propane is about 91k BTU per gallon.

So 13 gallons times 91k is about 1.2 million BTU, or about 37.5 hours of furnace run time, that’s about 7.5 hours a day for 5 days.

Does that sound about right to you?

I think the 18 gallons would be the water capacity and so a full fill would be 80% of that, or about 14-15 gallons. A little over half a tank would have been used (the gauge is calibrated to the full capacity, not to the usable capacity, typically), or maybe ten gallons. That works out to about 5.5 hours a day, or the furnace running ten to fifteen minutes per hour on average.

If going by a little three/four light gauge inside the RV, rather than the dial on the tank, the actual usage could be a lot different as those gauges cannot be very accurate even when operating at their best.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going from a ‘reverse engineering’ point of view, spec sheet says your Winnie has an 18 gallon tank, if your gauge is even roughly close, and assuming it really was full, you’ve used about 13 gallons. Winnie also lists your furnace as being a 32k BTU input unit. Propane is about 91k BTU per gallon.

So 13 gallons times 91k is about 1.2 million BTU, or about 37.5 hours of furnace run time, that’s about 7.5 hours a day for 5 days.

Does that sound about right to you?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sounds like a pretty small tank or excessive propane use.

Is the reluctance to use LP a matter of refilling it, or just money?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trying to remember what we used in the Class A, 18 gal tank I seem to think,
living in FL, cold months of Jan/Feb... seemed like a tank for 14 days. I had sun to warm it up inside during the day. An electric heater helped during the real cold days.

I currently have a 31' fifth-wheel, heat at 65 at night, 72 in a.m., sun warms it up later on, during "cold" weather (to a Floridian) 1 30# tank a week, think that equals like 7.3 gallons?

Sounds like you are basically within reason.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that is why you often see RV's wintering with a big bottle of propane connected outside. Your current usage seem to indicate about 7-8 days under those conditions.

I would certainly go up to the max with electric heaters instead of the propane furnace, but do watch if it gets colder that your tanks and valves are protected.

I like pipe tape around sensitive spots that comes on when the built in thermostat calls for hear.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel