cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luv Bugs are starting to hatch in NE FL.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We were at our granddaughters Softball tournament earlier this week and saw the Luv Bugs were starting to hatch. There seemed to be a bumper crop of singles, BTW, since this area is way away from any high speed highway. This is also a few weeks earlier than last year when we noticed them. We only had 2 slight freezing temp nights this year and are already experiencing 90 degree days.
7 REPLIES 7

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If these are the same as the May Flies in Wisconsin they are on this earth to feed the Sturgeons in Lake Winnebago. Don't know how they get from Florida to Wisconsin unless it's on someones windshield.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
we wont be camping in may and september because of the love bugs. they are out around leesberg fl jjst in time for bike week

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Nature MUST have a purpose for these guys....as soon as I find out what it is, I'll post it here.

My experience: on the way to WDW on I-4...had to pull over between I-95 and WDW to take the bugs off the windshield. The wipers were overwhelmed. The front end of the motorhome was completely covered...and even a good washing with my brush didn't get them all. But time and a good tropical rainstorm (or two) did.

The guy I felt sorry for was the fellow on a motorcycle with no windshield. I understand the "free protein" bit...but wow. Hadda hurt!

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
There seemed to be a bumper crop of singles.
I'm guessing that all those singles are going to hook up soon and become a bumper crop of doubles. But at least there will be half of them then.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It's that time again
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another thing I don't miss about Florida. Yuck.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen them too. Wish we could exterminate them for good.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing