cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MACERATOR PUMP NOT WORKING ... AGAIN!!!!

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
VEHICLE: 2012 Winnebago ERA with a macerator pump to drain the waste water tanks.

I had a problem a year or so ago where the pump was apparently blocked with waste material and keep blowing a fuse every time I tired to use it. Took to dealer ... fixed to the tune of $150.00.

Since that time I no longer use the black water tank ... only the gray tank. Had no problem earlier this year emptying it ... worked fine. Today nothing. Pump does not turn on. Fuse is fine.

I'm guessing maybe the waste pump switch???

QUESTION: Has anyone converted their macerator system to a gravity system on a Class B? In my view the macerator pump is a nuisance and just something else to go wrong ... too many times to suit me.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Karsty (The Wandering Viking)

2012 Winnebago ERA
23 REPLIES 23

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Karsty wrote:
...snip...Just have to find a way to get under the darn thing. Looks like a set of DIY ramps are in order to get this thing up off the ground enough to get under and see what is what...snip...
I have used the curb in front of my house. Drive either the left wheels or the right wheels up on the curb depending the side that needs to be crawled under. Not very dangerous, provides quite a bit more crawling room, and always available. 🙂
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Davydd ... that's they way it is suppose to work. I notice that several manufactures now offer a dual dumping system. And even Winnebago has gone to gravity with their newer model ERA's. I'm not sure why but maybe there has been an identified issue with the macerator system on previous units (like mine).

Looking forward to seeing your "next" B. 🙂

2012 Winnebago ERA

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Traditionally many RVs had black and gray gravity dump through one 3" hose. Before that black and grey usually were a combined tank. The idea was to pull the black valve first, close when finished and then flush with the grey water to reduce cleanup. The water hose at most dump stations could then be used to do a final cleaning of the 3" corrugated dump hose if needed. I don't have a macerator but assumed one would prudently follow the same procedure and always dump black first. We don't have problems with the black since we use it quite a bit for number 1 and number 2 only in emergencies. Being a little liberal with the flushing also helps add water to the black tank. The idea I think is to not let your black tank get too dry and use the right kind of toilet paper that disintegrates.

Our next B will have a macerator but connected to a 3" diameter outlet that you can uncouple and add a 3" corrugated hose to to gravity dump as well. Best of both worlds so to speak.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
And people say my van is "weird" because it has a discharge pump on the grey tank. Thankfully it has gravity drain on the poo.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
"RoyB" ... it is definitely not the black water tank. It is clean as a whistle and never used. I am using a composing method right now.

The macerator pump and switch worked fine a couple weeks ago when I drained the gray water. Just not working now. The fuse is fine ... so I am thinking switch or as someone suggested from another page ... perhaps a wire. He had a similar problem and it was a loose wire from the pump motor.

Just have to find a way to get under the darn thing. Looks like a set of DIY ramps are in order to get this thing up off the ground enough to get under and see what is what.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2012 Winnebago ERA

Semperfi_66
Explorer
Explorer
I found that using a 1/2 inch discharge hose it would overheat and internal circuit breaker would blow. Switched to a 3/4 hose and it worked fine.
2016 Open Range 3X349 RLS
620 Watt Solar
2000 Inverter
2 8D Gell Cells
2016 Ram 3500 4X4 6.7 Cummins
HD Direct TV
Onan 5500 Generator

2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 Can Am Commander Limited Side by Side

Patriot Guard Rider

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Could be something as simple as a plug/connection out of place...I'd call Winnebago for support and ask where to look.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
The way I read the OP, the problem is that the pump will not operate even though the fuse is fine, so it is not a problem with the tank - and besides he says he is using grey tank only.
Roaming Full Timer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect all of the BLACK TANK bottom floor is now solidified since not being used or properly drained anymore. Possibly blocking the drain plug hole.

Once everthing turns to solid waste it will be very hard to get it cleaned out...

This is what I would investigate first... Maybe remove the pump and associated hose path etc and try to fish a snake or high pressure water hose wand back up inside the black tank. Sometimes you have direct access to the black water tank from the toilet.

These are just guesses on my part - It maybe just be a failed motor on the pump... Hopefully your motor pump can be removed and tested - I'm betting the intake is totally stopped up...

I have used the portable 12VDC FLOJET 18555-000 Waste Water Pump Kit with a long 3/4-inch water hose. This is a nice RV TOOL BOX item to have around.. Mine has stopped up on me a couple of times but was easy to fix.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS