cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MASSACHUSETTS to Myrtle Beach SC

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WE are going to SC from MA and do not want to go over the GW bridge in NY so thought the Tappen Zee Bridge. Go out 84 but then how to go?
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
32 REPLIES 32

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
If you want to miss all the big city traffic and want an easy, scenic drive take I-84 W to I-81 S to I-77 S to Columbia,SC then US 378 E to Myrtle Beach. Not the most direct route but does miss all the major city headaches and most all of the tolls.

If you take this route, I would not go all the way to Columbia. I would get off 77 onto 485 near Charlotte, NC, then take 74 to I-95 at Lumberton. From there I would go south and exit at Latta and take 38/501 into MB.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
This time of year unless the weather is really clear I'd take 78 to 81 as there are some pretty good hills (and steep downhill going by Ravine Pa ) on 81 after Scranton. I'd still stay away from NYC/NJ but that is just me and my aversion to sitting in traffic

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Been down all three in the last 3 years. GWB, Tappa Zee, and 81. I HIGHLY recommend going 81. It is a much easier drive pulling a trailer.

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and go out to 81. The tolls you don't pay will just about pay for your extra fuel, not to mention how much more enjoyable the trip. Been both ways. Lost a windshield thru Phila and put up with the traffic and such. Went out to 81 and down.....haven't seen 95 since. Much better way to go.

jim

sprintmod1
Explorer
Explorer
There are alternatives, depending on time of day and what the weather is doing.

95 South to the TappanZee Bridge to 287 South to 78 West to 81 South. This avoids all the expensive tolls except for the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Once on 81 you have two choices.

(a) Take 66 East to 17 South back to 95 south of Washington DC. We have never had a problem going through Richmond on 95 or take the bypass around it.

(b) Stay on 81 South to 77 South to 26 East back to 95 in South Carolina.

Once on 78 you add about 70 miles taking option (a).

If you use option (b) I think it adds about 100 miles. You can either pay all the tolls and sit in stop and go traffic from NYC to Neward to Philly to Baltimore to DC or keep moving all the way with much less traffic and cheaper fuel choices.

Hope that helps with some options.
2010 American Coach Revolution 42w; carrying 2014 HD Electra Glide Limited and towing 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Dirt's for racing and asphalt for getting there.
410 Sprint Car's rule!

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
140 extra miles is about 20 gallons of fuel about $70.00 you would be close to that in tolls.on 95.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Crazies on 95 is putting it mild.84 to 81 sit back and enjoy the ride.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 3 hours longer even with the traffic on 95 seems a lot but .... I guess to miss the traffic on 95 in NY and the GW bridge we could do 84 and somehow get on NJ turnpike and then pick up 95 down further away from NY but then have to deal with Baltimore and DC bypass right. This is why I am asking now so I have lots of suggestions and can ask lots of questions. 3 hours of driving in Motorhome is somewhere about 200 miles or so and at 7MPG..... But time and not pulling my hair out of my head is important
S and S Co-Travelers

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
classic 31 wrote:
It is about 140 miles longer going 84 to 81 from Spfld ma.i think 95 is A couple hrs faster if you don't hit any back ups and that is a big if.I do that a couple times a year and when I try 95 I always say I won't do it again.Others love rt 95.

That's exactly why I suggested the 84-81-77 route to avoid all the crazies on 95 and around DC and it's suburbs and the bottlenecks around Richmond, VA. Yes it's about 3 hours longer but still an easy drive in 2 days, and much less stressful.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
It is about 140 miles longer going 84 to 81 from Spfld ma.i think 95 is A couple hrs faster if you don't hit any back ups and that is a big if.I do that a couple times a year and when I try 95 I always say I won't do it again.Others love rt 95.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken that trip a few times preferring 84-81-64 then the west beltway around Richmond to 95 and on down to Myrtle Beach.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
It's no big deal to go over.

I assume you're referring to the GWB. A co-worker wiped out his steps on a Jersey barrier in one of the lane snake downs.

It's a miserable ride. Not only do you have the bridge and its approaches, but you need to get on the Cross Bronx Xway and the NJ Pike on the other side through that wonderful town name Newark.

The new Tappan Zee Bridge is 4 lanes in both directions (and that's only 1 of the 2 spans) and the GSP is an easy ride if you hit it on Sunday. Take it to Woodbridge where you can pick up I-95. The KOA in Clarksboro is open all year.

Over the Delaware Mem. Bridge you can take 13/US1 down the DelMarVa to the Bridge Tunnel, or down US301 and re-connect to I-95 south of DC.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
It's no big deal to go over.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so far. Want it to be fast but safe, and good roads since we do not know what weather will be so well traveled roads. OF course we can pull off at Walmarts or Cabelas etc but not sure if there are either on the 95 route or Garden State Pway etc.
S and S Co-Travelers

tomgagne
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to take 695 over the key bridge as the Baltimore tunnels have propane restrictions