Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter engine

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.
What sort of routine maintenance is recommended? Like oil changes. What would be a ballpark cost for such maintenance?

Thank you

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚
24 REPLIES 24

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
We are newbies and have the 2007 Sprinter chassis with 3.0L diesel engine. I have a thread regarding oil filters one this site. Engine has about 25K on it and the oil is black (but that is usual) and I will use Rotella T synthetic 5W-40. Available at best price in 5Q bottle at WalMart. I use the same brand in my motorcycle with no problems. I have in hand a Fram CH10232 oil filter for the change. I'm still not quite sure at this point I have the correct filter.

Gonzo42, STOP, do NOT use Rotella T in that V6 engine. It is not the correct spec oil and will eventually clog up that $3k DPF filter on the motor. You must use an oil that says it meets Mercedes spec 229.51, and is 5w-40 on the bottle. It is generally not available at WalMart. Mobil 1 & Valvoline are the 2 most prevalent brands available. I use the Valvoline, and their catalog number for it is VV966, (that's vee vee 966, not W966). You can get it or have them order at most auto parts stores. Catch it on sale. Same for Mobil 1.
Also, if I were you I'd take that cheap Fram filter back and stick with Mann or Hengst brand filters. Some brands of non-Mercedes OEM supplied filters have been known to collapse after a few thousand miles causing havoc. Fram is one of these brands, so is WIX & Purolator. I get Mann filters from Amazon.com and order a couple at a time.
Here's another good source for oil change kits that I have used too,
Europarts SD check it out. Good source for fuel filters and air filters also
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A new Sprinter has two levels of maintenance, an "A" service and a "B" service, and they alternate every interval. A motorhome Sprinter will have the small DEF tank, which is done to allow for additional batteries or a FW tank to be placed there.

AdBlue can vary in price. I read about a recommendation to have the DEF tank drained and refilled every service interval, but that may be too excessive.

All and all, they are not bad vehicles. With the 2014 Sprinter, I like the V6 over the four banger (even though it has less MPG) because of the added oomph on steeper grades, but for a lot of people, the new 4-banger is good enough.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies and have the 2007 Sprinter chassis with 3.0L diesel engine. I have a thread regarding oil filters one this site. Engine has about 25K on it and the oil is black (but that is usual) and I will use Rotella T synthetic 5W-40. Available at best price in 5Q bottle at WalMart. I use the same brand in my motorcycle with no problems. I have in hand a Fram CH10232 oil filter for the change. I'm still not quite sure at this point I have the correct filter.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobo ,yep , and we love it.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
2007 on up V6 takes a special MB 229.51 spec 5w-40 oil, 13.5 qts. Mobil 1 & Valvoline are the most prevalent brands. Anywhere from $6.00 to $10.50 per qt. depending on where bought. The new 2014 4cyl tales 9 qts of the same oil.
10k mile oil changes up till 2014, then they raised it to 15k. Oil filters are about $8.50 to $11.00, again depending on where bought and what brand.
Fuel filters are 20k miles and if newer than 2012 1/2 chassis, they are over $100.00 on the V6. Up to 2012 and the new 4cyl the fuel filters are around $35.00.
Oil changes at dealers are priced all over the place. Others will chime in on that as I do all my own changes.
Transmission oil & filter changes are 40 to 60k, 40k recommended if it's an RV. They are around $400.00 again depending on where it's done. I was quoted $425.00 about 8 months ago.
DEF fluid is anywhere between $2.90 and $12.00 per gallon. Truck stops at the pump are the lowest. Dealers are ridiculously high. You get about 2k miles per gallon on that.
Hope this helps....

Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
No gassers in North America. Only for a short period during the 2008 model year.

midnightsadie, yours is a 2007 model year RV on a 2006 Dodge/MB chassis.
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
depends on which engine you are looking at; more than one has been offered. Is it one of the gassers or one of the diesels?

I think the MB Sprinter is only diesel. No gas.

2014 model year.

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
depends on which engine you are looking at; more than one has been offered. Is it one of the gassers or one of the diesels?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mines a 2007 but has the MB 5cyc engine ,cost a $118. at the dealer for a oil filter change. I,ve had class A, B, c, rv,s and like this one the best.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
2007 on up V6 takes a special MB 229.51 spec 5w-40 oil, 13.5 qts. Mobil 1 & Valvoline are the most prevalent brands. Anywhere from $6.00 to $10.50 per qt. depending on where bought. The new 2014 4cyl tales 9 qts of the same oil.
10k mile oil changes up till 2014, then they raised it to 15k. Oil filters are about $8.50 to $11.00, again depending on where bought and what brand.
Fuel filters are 20k miles and if newer than 2012 1/2 chassis, they are over $100.00 on the V6. Up to 2012 and the new 4cyl the fuel filters are around $35.00.
Oil changes at dealers are priced all over the place. Others will chime in on that as I do all my own changes.
Transmission oil & filter changes are 40 to 60k, 40k recommended if it's an RV. They are around $400.00 again depending on where it's done. I was quoted $425.00 about 8 months ago.
DEF fluid is anywhere between $2.90 and $12.00 per gallon. Truck stops at the pump are the lowest. Dealers are ridiculously high. You get about 2k miles per gallon on that.
Hope this helps....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van