cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MERCEDES SPRINTER RV not a conventional conversion

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
Not conventional, well my idea is. To Build an RV to live in but also make a separate food van to trade out of as well. I am a female so I want to keep it small as possible but have everything in it - plus build it myself and all that on a Mid wheel base.
92 REPLIES 92

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my panel reading this morning.

These readings begin at 12 midnight.
Its now 10:27 in the morning and overcast.

DAY 2
Amp in 8
Amp out 15
BatV 13.4 (Boost)
Charging at 3 amps.

28 Deg Sunny.
12 Midday
Amp in 20
Amp out 18
BatV 13.4 (Boost)
Load 6.9 now
SOC 96%
Charging over 10amps.

7pm
Amp in 75
Amp out 68
Soc 98%
BatV 12.6 (95% charge)

Just put the power on as I need the battery it to be 100% full befor tomorrows trip.

Question - can I trust the battery reading? Anyone understand about the SOC if that might be more accurate. Just cant believe its this good. Any comments would be appreciated on this subject.

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
EBAY - As it turns out 3 sellers of the 200 Watt 12V panels disappeared over night in the size I needed. I had to return them and paid $54 postage. Paypal saved the day and returned the money when the seller did not respond.

So now, what do I do? All 200 Watt 12V panels weren't available in the size I need. Except for one seller who's price was double - what the heck?!?
Well after ringing them and covering several safety questions like insurance on return if they are not correct as specs state. I paid the price having no other choice.

I received them the other day, packaging excellent in comparison a world of difference. So when I had the energy I installed one.

Wow what a difference - running my fridge over night on battery the solar panel fully charged it by lunchtime. Wow again! What a difference, thats more like it.

------- NOW LETS LOOK AT WHAT IT CAN DO IN MORE DETAIL. ------

My fridge is 75 Watts 12V & 153 Ltr

Clear sky's and 25 deg.

From midnight to 6:30 pm

Day 1
9am
Charging 1.9 Amps
Battery 12.7

6:30pm
Amp in 50
Amp out 40
Bat reading 13.4

All on one 200 Watt panel.

I is very happy.

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
Keep reading if you'd like to have some more facts on solar panels.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Cu2 wrote:
Van on beach site. New flags give it a live kick.

What Beach in Melbourne? will be heading "South" 20-25th February

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
Getting back to solar panels.
Well it was easy enough to get the replacement. In the meantime whilst waiting for it to arrive ........
I book the installer to fit the two panels. By this time no replacement panel had arrived. So I get the one I had fitted. A slight problem with the regulator which was delivered - it is positive ground. Oh dear. I get that sorted with the manufacturer and we manage to hook up the fridge directly through it.
Apparently so long as the equiptment is not negative ground its ok.

Well less see what this 200 Watt panel can do. So the dingo has plenty of readings which it took a while to work out. days really. The one thing I notice is the amp reading seems to low always.
I am thinking I should get 8 to 11 amps but I was seeing 4 to 5 at the most over the best days. The fridge was drawing 5 to 7amps. This was not ok.

Image of solar panel specs.

Which lead me to do some testing on the newly arrived panel.
Isc =
Test showed this maximum current reading. But here is the hammer. The Voc test was 47 Amp. Which means?

Well it was not as advertised 12V but 24V. So what options do we have.
1. Change the regulator to an MTTP
2. System to 24V
3. Return panels.
4. Rewiring to 12V

1. would only bring another 10% power
2. Impossible as all equiptment was 12V
3. Meant uninstalling and paying for return postage.
4. Best option but I will show you why it did not work.

I received an image from seller. Showing how to rewire.

Image panel terminal box rewiring from seller.

Multi meter tests proved that this method was inadequate. All it did was block out 1/2 the panels power. The reading of Voc was 1/2 but the current remained the same, no difference. So basically now that large panel would be a 90 watt panel.

Diodes must be moved. With the help of forum members we took a deeper look into it.

Image: Plan - terminal solar panel diodes must be moved.

But then a few comments in new posts and my tests proved that the panel was split into 3 sections and no method could work at all. This was a 24 Volt grid panel.

So my only option was to uninstall and return both panels back. You might think I would be able to replace them right? But it gets worse...... to be continued.

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Al,
I had a record braking day at the beach yesterday. Hot 34 deg. puplic holiday make the perfect contitions for that trading space. Unfortunalty there hasn't been too many of those days going on just a nice day say 25deg and on a week-end doesnt cover my cost to be there. So I had to go though a little learning curve to get the combination right.

Frozen yogurt is slowly poping up all over the place. Unfortunatly the media coverage has caused an overflow of food vans to start up everywhere and its tougher than ever to find a quality event to get into and to make matters worse to be approved the next time round.
I thought with frozen yogurt I had an edge over ice-cream but no way, it's just not enough and besides organisers have way too many food vans too choose from.
It is easy to get into events which are too high in rental or those who over crowd the event with too many other food vans, or markets that are useless. Then you have constant paper work, council inspections, council liceneces, and permits to deal with. It's just like any business 90% make a go of it and the rest don't. So in the long run it's a hobby right now for me.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Glad you are back with us. How is the frozen yogurt business going? Bad news on the solar panels, but I do believe that is the way to go for power reserves as noted elsewhere on RV.NET.Happy New Year. The "Australian model" certainly is a very good promoter for those products...Congrats on winning the marketing tender.
cheers
AL

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
After visiting my mum over night. I went well over 12hrs running the fridge on my 100Ah accessory battery. In the morning I discovered water everywhere as the fridge had defrosted, although strangely enough the fridge was still running but obviously not at capacity.

Battery reading of, get this 4.9V.

So my first thought! The fridges auto cutoff switch at low voltage can't be working and now the battery is stuffed.

Dave - at RV super store was kind enough to do a battery load test and I carried out tests over the next week - it was in perfect shape! Nevertheless I bought then a new 100Ah so that makes now 200Ah

Now it really does irritate me having to think constantly on the fridge so to improve the situation more the only thing I can do is solar panels.

Well I want the biggest most powerful I can get! "SIZE MATTERS"

1. Organize installer.
2. Roof space, step number one.
3. Find appropriate panel size to fit. (Max watt in my case 2 x 200 watt panels in a square format)
4. Find appropriate solar controller/Regulator

Sound easy enough?

Well it's not. It took a full week of research and speaking to some companies who enlightened me as to why and what etc. all before I found what to be the right products.
You see it is not just a simple method once you get over a 360 Watt array it gets more expensive going to the next level regulator 40Amps.

I wanted MTTP (high tech) regulator but ended up with the best PWM that Australia has to offer thanks to a very good salesman / technician.
Dingo 4040 thats a 40Amp regulator.

Solar panels - found the size and had 3 brands to choose from or so it seemed at the time?!?!?

Paid and posted Beginning of Dec. It's now heading towards end Jan. and I am still am waiting to receiving the correct panels ha?

It a long story but very informative one to learn big lessons from.

Panels get lost in transit Found then arrive 9 days later. The boxes are damaged on arrival it doesn't look good - Rather large foot prints on one box!

Opened the box .........

Smashed solar panel.

But it gets worse more to come -

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
Ho ho and were into the new year with new projects underway.

Solar panels and I won a council tender to trade on the beach.

Most recent photo I thought you might appreciate.

Van & Young Australian model.

Van on beach site. New flags give it a live kick.

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
sass, thanks for your wishes. Not an easy one these days - too much supply not enough demand. so much TV on it hasn't helped. Wouldnt recommend it for anyone unless already established.

sassypickins
Explorer
Explorer
Have followed your conversion posts with much interest. Great job. They say the road to success is paved with hard work, sweat and tears and it sounds like you've done all that, so ... hope your injury has healed and you now are well "on the road" to financial health.

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
It will be interesting how it all goes now these signs are on. Your info Al was all possive, glad you like it. Might have to go on Heron island for some business then.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
CU2
I like it. Looks like a 'clean' design and sensibly appealing. If I saw your vehicle pass by I would be wondering about what you were promoting and where the goodies were located. If you were parked somewhere and i approached, i would buy something as everything about your rig is appealing. The smell of fresh coffee,and, a freshly grilled hotdog would just be all I needed. What is a "robber dog". Well done. You deserve a lot of credit for all the hard work you have endured.What a project!!
When I travelled across Queensland, after a great 10 days on Heron Island Resort, I would have paid almost anything sometimes for one of your products as I always seemed to arrive at a cafe or restaurant when it was NOT lunch hour and/or the place was closed. I was not used to being on time for breakfast, lunch or dinner hour!! Slow pace but I had trouble getting my meals on time--my time that is. Hope to hear how your venture progresses. Great looking vehicle.
Al

Cu2
Explorer
Explorer
DeepLiquid wrote:
Holy COW!! Fantastic thread!

What amazing work you've done, and can't tell you how much I appreciate the detailed pics. It's let me know that I really don't have the skill set to do a proper build. Wish my dad were still alive, he would have enjoyed showing me how.

Believe me I don't ever want to have to do it again. More headache, backache everything ache. Never again.

But my advice is free if you care to dare.