cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MH accident in gas station!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think this has been posted before, so I’m posting it now.

How do you do this much damage in a gas station?

MH hung up on gas island!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
43 REPLIES 43

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:

As a former safety guy, and I've said this literally thousands of times "That's NOT an accident! That's a drivers failure to pay full time attention to what he/she is doing." Accidents are when you're killed or injured by a falling tree limb, for example. In other words, Accidents are accidents, stupid stuff is stupid stuff.

It seems to me that an accident is anything that is not done intentionally. I'm pretty sure the driver of the motorhome didn't intend to destroy the fender and pull the axle out of position and incur a sizable tow truck bill, hence this would be an accident.

More generally, it seems to me that what typically are called accidents are always things that might have been foreseeable and preventable. An earthquake, for instance, is not an accident; leveling a building with an unintended explosion, even if caused by carelessness, is an accident since nobody set out to destroy property. Choosing not to use the facilities when one's bladder is full can lead to a different kind of accident, even though it's entirely foreseeable and preventable.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Couple comments.

As a former safety guy, and I've said this literally thousands of times "That's NOT an accident! That's a drivers failure to pay full time attention to what he/she is doing." Accidents are when you're killed or injured by a falling tree limb, for example. In other words, Accidents are accidents, stupid stuff is stupid stuff.

2nd comments: I've seen many videos of this Hill Wrecker Service on YouTube. Frankly, sometimes he's a decent guy helping people out, but the rest of the time he's usually a total jerk and a butcher destroying peoples vehicles. He just, in my opinion, literally makes worse or destroys peoples vehicles during the process. You should see his beach tows, where people get their vehicles stuck on the Oregon beaches. He will yell and treat people like **** while pulling them out. It's bad enough folks got their vehicles stuck on the sand, then he treats them like **** trying to give them instructions.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

Exactly.........In Missouri you need an endorsement on your drivers licence to ride a motorcycle but can drive anything else as long as you're not driving for hire. DUH!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Lots of armchair quarterbacks on this forum. Many of which I am sure have never made a mistake. Who knows what happened. I feel bad for the person, it had to been gut wrenching not to mention expensive.

I feel bad for the guy too, but if he had looked in his mirror, he would have seen it coming. He caved in two side compartments and hit the rear wheels hard enough to shift them, and pull out the driveshaft. What if that had been someone in a wheelchair at a corner intersection. He would have driven over them. If the rear axle hadn't got hung up on the steel bar, he probably would have dragged the toad through there as well. This is more than a minor oooppps moment. This guy wasn't watching anything at all, and put the pedal down.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

For the record, there were approximately 530 people killed last weekend by vehicles driven by people who had "mandatory training, testing and licensing"

Just sayin..............
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lots of armchair quarterbacks on this forum. Many of which I am sure have never made a mistake. Who knows what happened. I feel bad for the person, it had to been gut wrenching not to mention expensive.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, the motorhome driver made some serious mistakes. However, that's got to be some of the worst tow trucking I've ever seen.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the tow truck it's advertising.

Not quite that bad (just tore one side of the rear cap loose)
But I got to see that happen a while ago.. Live 38' Cedar Creek 5er v/s island
No damage to the island... Driver just pulled away did not stop so I'm sure there was additional damage from the rear cap flapping away.

What can I say.... better him than me.

And the man I was standing beside had converted a 5er to a Gooseneck.. and tore up his pin box when he panic stopped...

I was driving a Neon at the time (Class A parked on a nearby campsite. )
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:

Some people with CDL's can't drive either. So there goes that thinking! It's not about the size of the vehicle, it's about paying attention.

That's beside the point. They might have a CDL and can't drive, but they had to have training, pass a test, and have regular mandated physicals.

A group of 7 or 8 women in their 60's / 70's and maybe 80's, were at a campground we were at not long ago. They were traveling together with a travel trailer, two class C's, and a class B. One of the women who was the owner of a class C, and the driver, had to walk to and from the site where they had their nightly get-togethers with a wheeled walker. It literally took her 5 minutes to go 100'. Now tell me she is capable of operating that class C safely? Maybe she was sharp as a tack and had the reaction times of a 20 yr old for her age when driving but while bugging out she whacked off one of the 4X4 site markers, and clipped a stop sign. That was before she made it 200 yds. at 5 mph or less.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
About 10 yrs ago, I watched a guy rip into all the bay doors on the drivers side as he tried to pull out and hit one of those huge concrete barriers meant to protect the pumps. He kept going till it was wedged up so tight the MH couldn't move anymore. I'm sure it ruined his day.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:

Some people with CDL's can't drive either. So there goes that thinking! It's not about the size of the vehicle, it's about paying attention.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometime stuff just happens. This might have been a momentary lapse in memory of which vehicle he was driving. Luckily it looks like no one was injured, which is the main thing.
I remember at one station where I was filling up and the RV next to me was pulling out to exit after he had filled his tank. He did not exit straight out of his position and caught his rear overhang on the island guard. It ripped his rear cap right off and left it dangling before he stopped. This was a diesel pusher and I guess the damages amounted to $20,000 plus, not to mention the horror of having to listen to his DW about everything he did wrong and how this ruined the trip, gave her "age" lines, etc. I'm sure this guy's significant other will remind him of this incident for decades to come.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, you hear the first crunch on the side panel and keep going?? Or was he going like 20 mph?

Wow.. That took some effort to accomplish!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:
Isn't that a temp tag on the RV. Might be a pretty inexperienced driver. Easy mistake to make when you're new at driving one of these things.

X2. Exactly what I thought. Looks like an inexperienced mistake. He would have been fine if he hadn't chosen that outside island. I feel bad for the guy. Makes you wonder if he's gonna stick with RV'ing.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.