cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH swaying

brodon
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at options to help keep sway down, I look at the safe_t_plus shocks. Wonder if any one has tried a semi-truck shock. About same size at $40 to $80 each.
18 REPLIES 18

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
st687 wrote:
the users manual has been disregarded.

What is this your quote for the day.:S

Here
Here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

st687
Explorer
Explorer
the users manual has been disregarded.
Doris &Bill
97 U270 Foretravel
08 Saturn Vue 3.6L
University of Parris Island March 1966
Semper Fi.:)

brodon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all replies. Started this post to raise question, and received many. GOING to put up camp for winder in north Florida. Will look at concerns later. RV,NET is very valuable recourse especially for us newbi's.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Don, the safe t plus I not just a steering dampener, it also has a compression/expansion spring built into it, to help keep the steering centered during times of no steering input. As Mike said start with a rear pan hard bar,(track bar) then look at other things.
Wildmanbaker

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
brodon wrote:
I'm curious enough to ask dumb questions, since I am a new to RVing.
Been camping for years, but now we are going full time with our MH and are looking to save money along the way if possible.

MY 38' dolphin has issues when trucks pass by. Looking at putting a safe-t-plus on front end to help problem. Looking at the safe-t-plus at $400 plus and the fact it looks and reacts like an enlarge car/truck shock, I asked for information on a semi-truck shock that is as big as the safe-t-plus for a lot less money ($40 - $80).

Surely some of you are curious enough and are experienced to answer my question: Would the semi-truck shock work on the front end of my MH?

The proper HD Motor home shocks are like koni+ bilstein etc there in
the 40-80$
what you need is Helwig style anti sway bars front and rear
those old 38 ft gassers are the worst handling Vehicle on the road in stock form

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
OP, If you can fabricate the associated brackets to attach the shock, I suspect your challenge will be to find a shock that is not gas charged and offers 50/50 shock dampening. (Short of that, mounting two opposing 90/10 shocks)
The steering dampers sold commercially perform the same dampening in either compression or extension, thus the need to source a shock that provides dampening in directions. Oh, and be sure the shock(s) have the need travel so as to not impact steering travel.
Sounds like fun although, I suspect it could be far a more challenging task than it appears on the surface...
Good luck,
Gary

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Lol still the same rear trac bar.
At 38 feet you have a huge rear overhang you are getting the "tail wagging the dog" effect.

Henderson

Wait maybe some Airtabs
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Lol still the same rear trac bar.
At 38 feet you have a huge rear overhang you are getting the "tail wagging the dog" effect.
2015 Wrangler JKU

brodon
Explorer
Explorer
W workhorse

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse P or W-- completely different front suspensions!

What year?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
brodon wrote:
sorry, I have a gmc workhorse.

Still rear trac bar.
2015 Wrangler JKU

brodon
Explorer
Explorer
sorry, I have a gmc workhorse.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
1st alignment this should check the steering out for tie rod ends and bell crank, then weight and air pressure in tires, then if an older unit bushings and spring bushings, and the Safe-T-Plus is always a good investment. Now I don't know about a truck shock but do they work horizontal? Then you can start throwing real money at the MH if this doesn't cure the problem in after market enhancements.

LEN

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You still need to tell us WHAT CHASSIS so we are not giving you advice for an early Ford chassis, when you have a late model Ford, Chevy P or Workhorse W.

The ARE different!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/