cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitoes, How do they get in MH?

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We're enjoying another summer in our former home state of Minnesota, where mosquitoes are sometimes called the State bird. We expect them outside but lately we're seeing dozens inside our coach. Our windows are sealed for Air Conditioning, our fantastic fans have screens and tight covers.

Where but for the door can they get inside? I'm going to fog the grass under the coach today but would welcome any suggestions.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty
13 REPLIES 13

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
JumboJet wrote:
chuckftboy wrote:
Thats funny, I went to NW New York for a week in June and found the mosquito population running rampant. I live in Florida and seldom even see one. When I was up there I felt like I was in the Florida Everglades. Makes no sense to me why there are so many up there where it snows and so few here where it rains every few days.

Go to Alaska in July! Mosquito swarms will darken the Sun.
d\

Florida probably sprays for mosquitos New York doesn't.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
chuckftboy wrote:
Thats funny, I went to NW New York for a week in June and found the mosquito population running rampant. I live in Florida and seldom even see one. When I was up there I felt like I was in the Florida Everglades. Makes no sense to me why there are so many up there where it snows and so few here where it rains every few days.

I understand that and it is supposed op be the same in Canada. I have read that the mosquito swarms will actually drive a moose herd!!

And they say we have bugs in Florida!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
barlow46 wrote:
Create some positive pressure in your coach by putting the fan settings on your a/c units on manual high. This will help with the small places where they might be coming in.

That won't do it. AC units only recycle interior air - they don't pull anything in from outside. All they do is recirculate the existing air.

If you want positive pressure, you'll have to use a ceiling fan (eg Fantastic Fan) and have it pull from outside in.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Create some positive pressure in your coach by putting the fan settings on your a/c units on manual high. This will help with the small places where they might be coming in.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Your hose and electric bay often have openings into the coach which serve to heat the bays. If your hose, electric cord and sewer hose have gaps around them or bay door is not closed tight it is easy access. In some coaches we have posts about those gaps into bays.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
subtroll wrote:
We're enjoying another summer in our former home state of Minnesota, where mosquitoes are sometimes called the State bird. We expect them outside but lately we're seeing dozens inside our coach. Our windows are sealed for Air Conditioning, our fantastic fans have screens and tight covers.

Where but for the door can they get inside? I'm going to fog the grass under the coach today but would welcome any suggestions.

For the most part they will come in the same way you do -- The DOOR --if not on you they come with you.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a vent fan over your cook top? usually the flimsy grease filter does not fit tight and the exhaust tube goes to the flapper outside. Unless you run the hood fan all the time they can come in that way. This also includes flies. I removed the inside hood and installed a window screen in the end of the hood vent.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I routed a new RG cable down the fridge vent one time and I guess I made to bigger hole in in the mesh. After that I got over-loaded with LADY BUGS in the fall part of the year... Patched the hole better in the vent mesh and they stopped getting inside...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A can of flying insect spray helps. use often.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Your coach may be "sealed" but it is not air tight, and they will find a way in besides the door.

Most people can't seal a coach to exclude rodents. (Any holes the size of a dime or larger)

I would suspect that sealing a coach down to mosquito size would be darn near impossible, or very expensive to find all the small openings.

Treatment of grass and bushes in the localized area, to eliminate resting areas, would help, if such activities area allowed.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
They can get in just about anywhere. On you, the wife, other guests the dog, when the door opens for just the few seconds when someone goes out or comes in, slide seals, a window screen that isn't pulled that last 1/16 of an inch closed, the slightest gap around a roof fan framing,,,,
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53