LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia
17 REPLIES 17

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Check the GVWR on both the Ford and the Chevy. In older years the Ford was rated significantly higher than the Chevy. If you see older P30 chassis on the road, they usually look like a kneeling bus because the front springs sag over time due to being at, close to, or above GVWR most of the time. Ford F53 chassis typically have 19.5" rims, not so the Chevy.

Chum lee

I think you have wheel sizes backwards and unlike Ford, have never seen a Chevy with 16" wheels.
As for the front end, the weight is usually within specs, but since the OEM coils weren't sufficient and have air bags, then a replacement with Henderson super steer replacements, works wonders for restoring ride height.
With rating being higher on the Ford, it was with the GCWR mainly and all because of the tranny that might overheat on long steep grades when pulling heavy loads. Still not a problem in most cases, if you know what you're doing and the 4L80E was a very good transmission overall.
Having said all this, I think the OP would most likely be going with the WH W chassis and the Allison tranny, anyway, if not going with the Ford.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Check the GVWR on both the Ford and the Chevy. In older years the Ford was rated significantly higher than the Chevy. If you see older P30 chassis on the road, they usually look like a kneeling bus because the front springs sag over time due to being at, close to, or above GVWR most of the time. Ford F53 chassis typically have 19.5" rims, not so the Chevy.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
To RVER above :

Some RV manufactories sound proof the doghouse area and some don't, as to the Bounder being noisy so was mine but zero sound proofing so I did it myself and now its very quiet to drive, also the 5 star program on the Ford 5 speed helps with the high RPM's.

Also my last motorhome was a Flair on the Workhorse and it was nosier than the Bounder.

Its not the chassis maker that makes it loud its the RV maker that lacks to sound proof the motor area.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at used units and found the FORDS much noisier in side the rig while driving, MUCH noisier!! I found one with WH and it is quiet and shifts smoothly which again I did not find the Fords did. The Fords I looked at were in Fleetwood Bounders, the one I bought is a Newmar Mountain AIre. The Fords were in coaches that were 2010 and newer. The Newmar is a 2003 but drives very nicely engine wise!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To answer your question the main discriminator for me would be the 6 speed Allison transmission that is in the WH chassis. Having said that I am also in the process of looking for a newer MH and storage, FW capacity, lay out and how well the MH was maintained is more important to me than chassis. Every thing is a trade off. I am quickly finding that you cant find every thing you want in one MH.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
Lets see WH gone Ford is left no brainer.

Nothing wrong with a Ford, except I wouldn't go with the very first V10's and not an even older 460V8, either.
Given the two choices, I'd probably go with WH and especially the heavier W24 chassis. The GM 8.1 and 6 speed Allison tranny is a very good combination. Not much chance of running out of parts for it in the next 50yrs and any mechanic worth his salt should be able to work on it.
Those buying new, don't have a choice, but at least Ford now has a 6 speed tranny and these coaches do have one stop shopping in being all Ford and excluding the house of course.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:

Maybe if your buying a brand new coach.

There are plenty of service centers that work on the WH chassis

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
timmac wrote:
LA-REDNECK wrote:
Thoughts on Ford vs Workhorse chassis.

Depends on what year of chassis, if 2006 and newer I would go with the Ford since they improved the HP/Torque and the new 5 speed transmission, older than 2006 than Workhorse might be a better deal.

At that same time, 2006, Workhorse had the SIX speed Allison transmission so the newer WH chassis still has it's advantages right up to 2012.

Yea except that they don't produce the WH anymore and Ford does, the V-10 2006 and newer has more HP/Torque than the GM 8.1 and Ford has no recalls..

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:
Flip a coin. If it matters to you Ford is still building MH chassis, Workhorse gave up on MHs.

X2, Wisdom here. Both I see as equals with different benefits. Really it's a coin toss to me as well, except for the fact Ford is still mfg them.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Some were made to drive around in comfort and some were made to move the house from place to place. If it is close to overloaded before you put anything in it, it may not handle the best. They both are made dependable and will move you from place to place.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
timmac wrote:
LA-REDNECK wrote:

Depends on what year of chassis, if 2006 and newer I would go with the Ford since they improved the HP/Torque and the new 5 speed transmission, older than 2006 than Workhorse might be a better deal.

At that same time, 2006, Workhorse had the SIX speed Allison transmission so the newer WH chassis still has it's advantages right up to 2012.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
LA-REDNECK wrote: