Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome registration tag and tax cost by state

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
For a full-timer, what state offers the lowest cost to register a 35ft motorhome? I'm looking primarily at Florida, South Dakota, and Texas since they have no income tax on any income. I've read South Dakota vehicle registration fees can vary depending on which mail forwarding service you use and whether it is located in a county with a wheel tax. Also, which state would have the lowest motorhome insurance cost?
Would appreciate any input from anyone who has been through this and can offer some cost information, websites to compare State costs, et cetera.
Thanks, Jim
seadog
20 REPLIES 20

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking primarily at Florida, South Dakota, and Texas since they have no income tax on any income.

Lot of people get tunnel vision and only look for the states that have no STATE income tax.

BUT you have to look at the WHOLE tax picture.

Any state that has a low tax or no tax in one given area......will have other taxes be twice and three times more than other states to make up for it. The money has to come from somewhere.

Tennessee sure did look like a good place to me. Low real estate property taxes, vehicle registration etc, etc.

Well they have to get their taxes somewhere. I stopped in Tennessee with the MH and hit the stores stocking up on supplies, groceries, and bought a couple of power tools, etc. In a couple of hours of shopping I had spent $100 in state sales taxes. Yup their sales tax is 9.99% :R

CG rates are higher in Florida because they have to add a 'bed tax' in addition to the 'sales tax'. which by the way they have just signed a bill to raise the bed tax rate again!

Some states charge sales tax on food yet other states don't. This can really add up if you have a family and/or like to eat!

Some states charge a huge one time extra fee just to bring your vehicle into their state.

Some charge so much for yearly vehicle tags that it often will offset not having to pay your state income tax every year.

You really have to look at ALL the different taxes each state has.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
That Google link isn't really much help as they all seemed to be fees for cars, not RVs.

I just bought a newer RV in Arizona and California wanted to charge me $1500 for taxes, title, and registration. So I went up to Oregon and got it all for $442 (includes new plates). Good for two years. Two years from now it'll be less since I don't have to buy the plates again. $180/year seems fair to me. Someone has to pay for all the road work.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps look at the big picture.

Registration
Insurance
Taxes
Medical
State residency requirements
Voting
Mail

What else?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
seadogjim wrote:
From what I can determine, between SD and FL it's close but SD is probably better overall. FL has high first year registration/tag fees but it's much lower after the first year. But, FL is one of the highest insurance cost states. SD has modest reg/tag annual fees and is one of the lowest insurance cost states. Of course neither has an income tax. TN is low on reg/tag fees, has no tax on earned income but taxes dividend/interest income, often a substantial portion of a retiree's income. TN insurance vehicle costs are mid-range.
Although no state seems to have a clear advantage, it seems SD is the best for full-time rver's. Thanks to all for their reply's.
Jim

The TN div/interest tax (aka the Hall Tax) excludes bank interest completely, and excludes the first 1000 or so in dividends, plus the state legislature appears to committed to gradually phasing it out all together in the future. Pensions and social security benefits are not taxed, and both are taxed at the state level in some states.

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can determine, between SD and FL it's close but SD is probably better overall. FL has high first year registration/tag fees but it's much lower after the first year. But, FL is one of the highest insurance cost states. SD has modest reg/tag annual fees and is one of the lowest insurance cost states. Of course neither has an income tax. TN is low on reg/tag fees, has no tax on earned income but taxes dividend/interest income, often a substantial portion of a retiree's income. TN insurance vehicle costs are mid-range.
Although no state seems to have a clear advantage, it seems SD is the best for full-time rver's. Thanks to all for their reply's.
Jim
seadog

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
cableguy574 wrote:
$24.00 to register a motor home or car.

Varies by city/county in Tennessee. For Memphis (Shelby County) it is $106.00 including the city and county fees.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fees in Oklahoma. Not the cheapest, but also not particularly expensive.

Insurance? Depends on where you are "garaged" because it is a whole lot more expensive in a crime-ridden neighborhood in one of the larger cities than in a small town in ranching country.

No income tax states? Some of them are the most expensive places to live because of land values (rents and property taxes) and other taxes replacing the income tax. Urban versus rural remains a big factor.

I would not pick a domicile based on the cost of vehicle registration, because vehicle registration is such a tiny part of my cost of living.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
From https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83140.pdf, the official FL state website, registration for a motor home over 4,500lbs is $58.85; for a trailer over 35', it's $36.60. You've got to go direct to each state's title and registration fees website to determine exact costs.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Nv registration is high. Our 2016 Phaeton was a bit over $4k to register, wifes Mercedes was $900, Harley Over $200 and its now 4 years old. Between the mh, 3 vehicles, 3 motorcycles and 3 trailers i pay out dearly.

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
I know some states also have personal property taxes and/or ad valorum tax on rv's and cars. Those can be more than the registration and license plate tag fees so just knowing the reg/tag fee in many states isn't a full picture of the cost.
My motorhome is a 2009 with a GVW of 22K lbs. and the toad is a 2015 Malibu. Is there a website that would tell me the TOTAL cost to register both? I have USAA ins. on the car and The Hartford(AARP) on the moho. Now I pay about $1200/yr. for both in AL, not sure what SD, TX or FL would be.
Appreciate any insight how these costs might vary between SD, FL or TX.

Thanks, Jim
seadog

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In Montana, any vehicle 11 years old or older can be permanently registered. The cost is about $250, give or take a little.
Yep, my truck and my motorhome have PERMANENT license plates! Next year, the car gets them.
Then I will never have to renew a registration again for the rest of my life!
ALL trailers, regardless of size or type; ALL motorcycles (including street legal ATVs); and ALL boats are also permanently registered!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The usage or personal property fees and taxes in some states can be draconian, and they are paid yearly in most cases. Way more than title and registration costs. When we moved to FL we still saved money in the first year, even with the $250 for each vehicle brought into FL from another state. I think that RVs are exempt from that fee.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Vehicle reg by state- google

From the New Hampshire Department of Safety | Division of Motor Vehicles | Registration | Vehicle Registratio... page:

Fees

Because registering a vehicle in New Hampshire is a two-part process, there are fees due to both the town/city and to the State. For an explanation of fees, please see RSA 261:141 for state fees, and RSA 261:153 for town/city fees. In addition to the registration fees, there is an $8.00 plate fee for the first time you order plates.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
seadogjim wrote:
Hi,
For a full-timer, what state offers the lowest cost to register a 35ft motorhome?

I'm looking primarily at Florida,

Would appreciate any input from anyone who has been through this and can offer some cost information, websites to compare State costs, et cetera.Thanks, Jim

Be prepared to pay a first time fee for registering all out of state vehicles in Florida!

They want $500 bucks for my Tahoe. :R:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.