cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Rushmore in the Winter

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a trip from the panhandle of Florida north to Mount Rushmore, Custer National Park, Cody, Wyoming, Billings Montana. Will be heading that way through Memphis and Jonesboro, Arkansas. We will be looking to do this at Christmas and New Years. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Mark
23 REPLIES 23

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Not a good idea traveling in that part of the country in the winter months. Especially a guy from Florida. LOL!

Better take a snow mobile in case you get stranded with snow.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
AS a snow country driver (from Rochester NY) I have worked very hard to never be in a position that requires me to drive the coach in any kind of slippery weather. I know how to do it and am quite competent at it, just would rather not have 30,000 pounds of motorhome plus tow'd start to move sideways or not at all. I understand the desire to have the parks to yourself just need to prepare yourselves and your equipment for extreme cold. sitting in my son's driveway in VA when the temps dip into the teens (in the mountains) the propane starts to go very quickly. I use external 30 lb tanks (7.5 gal) to avoid having to make a nasty trip in the coach to top off, I run through one in just a few days! I keep a spare filled in case we run low over a weekend. It should be fun, just not for me, DW is complaining because it is under 72 right now 🙂
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's cool, thanks for the link.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I can't imagine they would keep Custer State Park or the Needles Highway but then again, I am often wrong!

Here is a good link about Custer State Park. It is a great place during the Winter: Custer State Park
Needles is closed during the Winter months and, of course, Mount Rushmore is open all year round. .

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I am still fairly young and don't mind taking some risk with traveling up in those areas during the winter months. I love touring around in areas with fewer people because I hate lines and waiting. I tow a Jeep Sahara and it did great in Silverton a couple of years ago at Christmas. The snow was about 1/2 the depth of the tires through town. Loved it! The route I am going, does not look like it will take me through any tremendously high mountain passes, but do have a set of chains for both vehicles if snow gets hubcap deep on a Ferris Wheel.
Mark

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do every Winter. No big deal.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going any place where knowingly, that the temps are going below freezing!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
yeah, forgot Yellowstone. No vehicular traffic allowed in most of the park during the Winter, only snowmobiles. Again, contacting the parks about availability of services is highly recommended prior to travel.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I've been to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone during the winter and the roads are plowed and drivable when I was there!
Really?? The park roads in Yellowstone are all closed from November thru March. Only the northern road from the North Entrance to Cooke City, Montana is open. Cooke City is a great snowmobiling destination, but the road is often ice and snow packed. Definitely not RV friendly.

flyfishingfool
Explorer
Explorer
Iam from Wyoming lots of snow, cold and wind ground blizzards that last for days.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine they would keep Custer State Park or the Needles Highway but then again, I am often wrong!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone during the winter and the roads are plowed and drivable when I was there!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We always leave Florida and head to the Western mountains during the Winter months. It is no problem if you don't have a set schedule and follow what is going on with the weather.
You need to check ahead with the RV parks and make sure they will have a clear space for you. ALL of the RV parks do not close but some do and you need to check ahead of time. On our trips it is not unusual for the park owner to take his front loader and clear the snow from some sites for us to park.
We spent one Christmas in the Grand Canyon Trailer Village and it was great. We were one of about 6 other campers and had deer wandering all through the RV park.
As far as water goes, we have never had a problem finding water to fill our tank. We never hook up to the park water unless it is to fill our fresh water tank. Keeping it topped off and using a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in the wet compartment has prevented any frozen water lines or pump.
The same goes with the sewer connection. We only hook up to dump. Many truck stops, like Flying J, have fresh water and dump facilities available but we have always found RV parks to take care of our needs.
We use electric heaters for most of our heat but naturally we do keep our LP tank full. Our roof top heat pump will work down to about 32 degrees and we have a portable heat pump that we have used in temps to -10. We also use electric space heaters and use an electric blanket.
We have never been uncomfortable in the cold weather and we always carry snow chains. By watching the weather I have only once had to use the chains on the road but I have used them a few times to get in to and out of RV parks.
We appreciate the lack of crowds during the Winter months at the National Parks.
We are not afraid to drive during a little snow although when the ice slides down your windshield it gets interesting. The defrosters are at the bottom so the snow accumulation at the top eventually slides down as it melts.
After many years of doing Winter travel, we have found what works and what doesn't. Our dog loves the snow and cold weather and so do we.
We have found that if we retract our slides in slowly, with someone watching outside, the snow will drop off and not cause any problems.
If we are expecting a heavy snow overnight, then we keep our slides retracted, just like they recommend during a heavy rainstorm.
Just use a little common sense and keep informed about what is going on with the weather. The last few years, the snowfall in many areas has not be that heavy. Naturally that can change at any time, which is why you need to monitor it daily.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There must be something in the water or maybe those little bugs have gotten into the ear of the poster but at that time of year most of us are heading FOR Florida...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)