cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain bike storage ideas

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
We're beginning the shopping process for our first RV. We'll be living in it full-time. Here's the difficult spot we're in:

We have (2) $5000+ mountain bikes that we will be bringing with us. Obviously we won't be leaving them outside on a bike rack (far too easy and tempting to steal). Aside from a toy hauler Class A, does anyone have any good ideas of how to store the bikes? Since we'll be riding them several times each week, we don't want to have to take them entirely apart each time we store them. I'd be ok with removing the front wheel if needed, but if we could leave them intact, that'd be idea. The bikes are about 4' high, 6' long, and the handlebars are over 2' wide.

Any great ideas out there?
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com
44 REPLIES 44

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of a bike cover with zippers, that looks great!

After checking out some airstreams, we think we've finally settled on an RV solution for us.

Only problem is: airstreams have very little storage, especially for bikes. However, since they're bumper-pull, we have a few options. I've always wanted a 4x4 sportsmobile, and now I have the perfect excuse for a 4x4 Ford E350 van. It won't get fantastic mileage, but with a diesel I can expect 11-15 mpg, plus it'll pull the load just fime. The best part is that we can sore the bikes (and the rest of our camping gear) in the back. I think of a van as a trailer on wheels. I think this could work out great.
follow our travels at:

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
Effy wrote:
I carry expensive bikes too and I have always had luck with a hitch rack and a cover. If they are true MTB's then you understand there is always mud and grit involved. Something to contend with if you plan on putting them in the RV. When I ordered my custom Rocky Mountain a few years back I used to fret over where to keep it when travelling etc. At the end of the day, it's a bike and I find that usually people in a CG with the myriad of Mongooses and Nexts wouldn't know a high end bike from Shine-ola. I did see a neat contraption while travelling this week, it was actually like a vinyl storage shed that was hitch mounted by Komo.

Bunch of stuff here that could be used. There is even a dual bike model although I think they require a dual receiver so you might have to make a modification. This is the route I would go if it were me. Weather proof, lock-able, outside the rv...

Komo

awesome, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing I'm looking for. Do you just cover your bikes with a tarp and lock 'em on the hitch rack?

I'm more worried about snow/freezing temps than dirt, although my bike does have a lot of bearings on it.

That komo is just the ticket. I wonder if I could hook it on the tongue of a dolly for my toad or if that'd be overdoing it.

2 bikes go on our swagman rack and I have an actual bike cover with zippers etc that goes over them. It does a pretty good job. Keeps out water and is pretty easy to get on and off. Lasted 2 years so far and it's cheap enough to replace if I need to. Yes I lock them with a cable to the hitch. And the rack has a locking clevis to the receiver. My son's Trek goes in the rear pass-through. I've ridden MTB is as low as 16 degrees F and never had an issue. Hydro brakes are still fine and no binding of bearings.

Here is the cover I use.
Cover

The reviews aren't the best because all the users are putting it on a car. In that case I could see the wind causing issues with the cover. But on the back of a MH it gets no wind. I can see it in my camera not blowing at all. So in that case it works great. 2 years, no issues.
2013 ACE 29.2

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Effy wrote:
I carry expensive bikes too and I have always had luck with a hitch rack and a cover. If they are true MTB's then you understand there is always mud and grit involved. Something to contend with if you plan on putting them in the RV. When I ordered my custom Rocky Mountain a few years back I used to fret over where to keep it when travelling etc. At the end of the day, it's a bike and I find that usually people in a CG with the myriad of Mongooses and Nexts wouldn't know a high end bike from Shine-ola. I did see a neat contraption while travelling this week, it was actually like a vinyl storage shed that was hitch mounted by Komo.

Bunch of stuff here that could be used. There is even a dual bike model although I think they require a dual receiver so you might have to make a modification. This is the route I would go if it were me. Weather proof, lock-able, outside the rv...

Komo
Will your bikes not fit into the large pass thu in the rear of your MH?

They would if I took off the front wheel and mounted a cleat. I keep my son's bike in there simply because I have a 2 bike rack and mine and DW goes on that so I have to put his in. Also I have a lot of other stuff in the passthrough (Canopy, cornhole boards, surf boards, chairs, cooler, grill etc) If I dedicated it to the bikes I'd have to find room for all the other stuff
2013 ACE 29.2

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

Komo

awesome, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing I'm looking for. Do you just cover your bikes with a tarp and lock 'em on the hitch rack?

I'm more worried about snow/freezing temps than dirt, although my bike does have a lot of bearings on it.

That komo is just the ticket. I wonder if I could hook it on the tongue of a dolly for my toad or if that'd be overdoing it.
follow our travels at:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Effy wrote:

Komo
Will your bikes not fit into the large pass thu in the rear of your MH?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer

Komo
2013 ACE 29.2

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use an ATV cover to keep our bikes completely covered & concealed. A cable encircles them. They are & the car bike rack I transport them on are locked to the ladder of our Class A. I also travel with a bike trainer that I make look like it is chained to the mass. If someone wants our bikes, they'll get 'em. But other people's bikes will be easier to get. We have insurance. Part of the reason we started full timing was to shed as many of the worries and responsibilities as possible. On the other hand, since the bikes are always outside, I'm finding that the conditions are taking their toll. Got a brand new bike last spring for that very reason :).

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
there are some really cool solutions here, thanks guys!

Did you get the two PM's I sent you?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
there are some really cool solutions here, thanks guys!
follow our travels at:

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
We're beginning the shopping process for our first RV. We'll be living in it full-time. Here's the difficult spot we're in:

We have (2) $5000+ mountain bikes that we will be bringing with us. Obviously we won't be leaving them outside on a bike rack (far too easy and tempting to steal). Aside from a toy hauler Class A, does anyone have any good ideas of how to store the bikes? Since we'll be riding them several times each week, we don't want to have to take them entirely apart each time we store them. I'd be ok with removing the front wheel if needed, but if we could leave them intact, that'd be idea. The bikes are about 4' high, 6' long, and the handlebars are over 2' wide.

Any great ideas out there?

As it appears that you are in the early stages of thinking this through - let me throw this into the mix - while in Florida one year one of the guys had a Tandem Tow Dolly with a Custom built bike trailer -- he had fold down doors on both side with a front wheel holder that locked into place. He would drive his Harley in and then when he arrived he could drive it out. Was made of lightweight aluminum just like a trailer with ramp doors - kept it out of sight out of the rain and out of the Coach, and yes he towed a big Lexus 4x4.

Just a thought if you end up with an "A" you will have your bikes and your car all in one.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I do:

It's super simple and I tow the F-150 behind my motorhome. The truck weighs 6,500 pounds so if you want to do this, you'll need something that can handle that weight.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I have been down this road, and here is the summary of my research.

The only Class A basement with storage tall enough to keep the rear wheel on a mountain, road, or tandem (we carry all three) is a Prevost H3 45. I currently have to remove both wheels to get them sideways in pretty generous storage bays in the Newell. I can also get them upright by removing the seatpost and front wheel. It's easier for me to just drop both wheels. I made covers for the frames to keep chain grease off the carpet in the bays.

The only towable vehicle I have found that will allow the bikes to sit upright inside with front wheel removed is Nissan Pathfinder. It is towable with manual tranny.

We use an Outback for a toad. On the rare occasion when I want to secure the bikes, I can drop the rear seat in the car, drop the wheels from the tandem and lay it in flat.

When we are parked for a few days and riding. I leave the bikes outside chained with Kevlar cable and the limited access padlock. I cover them with a custom made cover that goes all the way to the ground. To the casual observer, it's just bikes under a cover.

I hope this gives you some ideas from someone who completely understands what you are trying to do.

If you are willing to go the toy hauler route in either a towable or Class A then your options are far better.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, for full timing, you'll want to preserve as much storage space as possible. I like the option of keeping them in a toad of some kind. I've seen a slice set up where a gent has a Extra Cab F150 with a shell, and he has the slide out bed that he has mounted various things to. Including two crossover bikes for him and his wife. Still had room in the truck for four people. 4X4 truck gave him some reasonable off road capability. He said he liked that the bikes remained clean while traveling. And he also said he had added an alarm to the shell tied in with he truck alarm. Eco Boost V6 he claimed gave him an honest 20-22 MPG on easy highway cruising, and usually above 17 while around town. And, when needed, he can cary 5 people. (Not too much room for big people in back, but it's perfect for his grandkids!).

He also claimed that the slide out bed option, allowed him to work on the bikes while standing, and other things too, as a makeshift workbench.

Just FYI - Good luck to you on your decision,
Smitty

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
We put a quick video together with the dimensions of the bike. We're also documenting our RV shopping experience if anyone would like to follow along and offer advice along the way.

RV Shopping Like a Noob - the bikes
follow our travels at: