cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My experience buying tires

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
It was time for new tires. I decided to go with Michelins through FMCA. My local TCI center in West Palm Beach didnt have the 275/70 R 22.5 tires I needed. I then contacted the TCi dealer in Orlando. The managers name is Todd. He had my tires and was very cordial on the phone. I decided to make the 2 1/2 hour dirve to get them. All was well when I got there until we started talking about balancing, etc. I wanted the ceramic beads and was met with a questioning look. Todd said he would check to see what he had. He found the beads.

The attention then shifted to the rear duals. I have the Crossfire system installed which equalizes the pressure in the duals and gives you a visual indication of pressure. I was concerned that the system would not be reinstalled properly. In retrospect, I should have taken a photo of each dual. Tom and the techs seemed to have no concern that this would be a problem. There was a different tech working on the two sides. Neither of them used English as a first language. The rear hubcap on the Freightliner is held on by a bolt. The left side is left handed. I pointed this out to the Techs. I hung around to watch the tech try to remove it with lefty loosey. I had Tom tell him again. "Hey Jose, its left handed.". Jose continued to try lefty loosey. I had to get Tom to tell him again in person.

When the duals went back on, each tech installed the Crossfire differently. Neither method was like the way it came in. When I pointed it out to Tom, he couldnt seem to see the problem. "You RV people come in here with this aftermarket stuff and make extra work for us.". Suddenly the no problem was a problem. My patience was exhausted and I had to walk away. All they had to do was take a moment to study the installation and reinstall it the same way.

I will have to remove it tomorrow, reclock valve stems, and rotate valve stems to fix it. Needless to say, I wont be back there.

The good news is that the tires with balancing beads ride very smoothly.
20 REPLIES 20

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
So, was the 2 1/2 drive, the aggravation and the time to reinstall the Crossfire worth what you saved?

You miss the point. I made the post to maybe save someone else the aggravation I suffered. I needed the tires on short notice. I intend to talk to TCI corporate and Michelin about this also.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I received great service from St. Lucie Battery and Tire in Ft. Pierce for the same size tires. Orlando is too far for routine tire replacement. Plus, my old tires were placed into my utility trailer as I had already sold them to a fella in WPB
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I understand the post directly above?

As for the OP, you received substandard service. Way below par. The dealer and his people should absolutely have put everything back the way it was.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect when you are buying tires it really depends on the vehicle and type of road conditions that will be encountered. The tire I buy for my TT will most lkely be a lot different than what I would buy for my MH or my PU. My PU needs agresssive tread for rough road conditions. My MH needs good highway tires that will never see the conditions my PU sees. It is very difficult to talk tires unless you are talking road conditions. For an example if I put Michelin tires on my PU in WY I won't be very happy and cussing at every flat and blow out on rough gravel roads but I love them on my MH that hardly sees a gravel road. JMHO.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please post a review at RVSERVICEREVIEWS.com
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
So, was the 2 1/2 drive, the aggravation and the time to reinstall the Crossfire worth what you saved?