cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My solution to Sleep Number mattresses bursting...

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
We just had our second mattress chamber rupture from change in altitude and temperature. (I've noticed the pressure does go up from the engine heating while traveling as well as changes in altitude.) Since our bed is still under warranty, we are getting another free replacement. BTW, the lady that helped me on the phone today said she has had several people calling in with the same issue this summer.

However, it just bugs me that a company can charge you $1500 for a product that will be changing altitude/temperature and it not have a safety pressure relief valve in it. They just say to let air out before you travel. I think there must be a better solution, so here is my thinking:

I called Sleep Number and asked them what the actual pressure in the mattress is with a setting of the maximum 100. They said it is 0.6 psi! So, if you assume the max working pressure is 0.6 psi and you design it with a safety factor of say 3X, the burst pressure would be 1.8 psi. Looking at the atmospheric charts, the change in atmospheric pressure from sea level to 7,000 ft (here in Colorado Springs) is approximately 3 psi. Since the mattress is fabric covered, it cannot stretch, so there is no relief from volume change. (That is why your tire pressures don't change as much with altitude.) As a result, the pressure is 6 times the working pressure. Add in some heat from the engine, and it was most likely even higher. We had one of the two chambers burst, so I assume the real failure is probably 2.5-4.5 psi based upon two failing, and one not, on me

After a bit of searching on the internet, I found a 0-20 psi adjustable pressure relief valve for $4.44.

It can be found Here.

So my plan is to purchase two of these and pick up the appropriate fittings, and put them in the lines that go to the chambers under the night stand near the pump. Set the release point to be just at/above the 100 setting on the mattress, and I should be good to go!

If anybody has any thoughts on this, or has gone through this and found a better option, I would appreciate hearing about it. I think it is cheap insurance to protect the system.

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
20 REPLIES 20

Donna_and_Rob
Explorer
Explorer
We've had ours 18 years with the last four in the RV. Its traveled thru the Rockies and about six other mountain ranges never a pressure problem, and I like my side pumped up. If it ever does pop I will definitely buy another. Not trying to sell them but I have a bad back and its the only bed I can sleep in.
2003 38ft Travel Supreme
350hp Cummins

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Spizzer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm curious what your weighted (with you on it) sleep number is? Doesn't sound like there's allot of headroom.

Unfortunately, there is no way to read what the pressure is. You can only see what it was last set at. If you change the pressure, say down one click, then up one click to where it was, the controller senses the pressure and then changes it to the setting. So if it does nothing, it was spot on...if it lets air out, it was over the setting, if it pumps air in, it was under the setting. I don't think it changes much when you lay on it.

jeff
It changes a LOT, thats why I was curious. I'm about a 35, but to set that pressure with not laying on it, that jumps to 50+. If both sides are set to 35, and I'm there by myself, I need to run the other side up at least to 50 to keep from rolling into a hole.

35 is safe where we usually travel, but pushing the 'empty' side up around 60'ish while at the beach can make for a very bulbous mattress when heading home in the summer

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and check that out next time we are out.

Jeff
Jeff

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Spizzer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm curious what your weighted (with you on it) sleep number is? Doesn't sound like there's allot of headroom.

Unfortunately, there is no way to read what the pressure is. You can only see what it was last set at. If you change the pressure, say down one click, then up one click to where it was, the controller senses the pressure and then changes it to the setting. So if it does nothing, it was spot on...if it lets air out, it was over the setting, if it pumps air in, it was under the setting. I don't think it changes much when you lay on it.

jeff
It changes a LOT, thats why I was curious. I'm about a 35, but to set that pressure with not laying on it, that jumps to 50+. If both sides are set to 35, and I'm there by myself, I need to run the other side up at least to 50 to keep from rolling into a hole.

35 is safe where we usually travel, but pushing the 'empty' side up around 60'ish while at the beach can make for a very bulbous mattress when heading home in the summer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware that this modification will probably void your warranty.

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:

jeff
Jeff

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Spizzer wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
After nine years of travel I still don't find it to difficult to push the button on the remote and air the matrass "down" before a big change in attitude.

It doesn't seem hard to me, and I am lazy.

We have been doing that, but forgot this time. Should just add it to the checklist.....

Jeff

How far down do you usually go on the setting?
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
Spizzer wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
After nine years of travel I still don't find it to difficult to push the button on the remote and air the matrass "down" before a big change in attitude.

We have been doing that, but forgot this time. Should just add it to the checklist.....

Jeff

Yep, put it on the checklist, we added it years ago.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
lison wrote:
Thanks Jeff. I just ordered a Sleep Number for the 5W and was looking for info on installing it. Not sure if it comes with side boards or anything tricky. Interesting info on the over inflation. While I don't anticipate big altitude changes in the near future, I would expect big temp changes while in storage in the sun when the camper is all closed up. Do you always deflate while in storage? What about when gone for the day and need to keep windows closed for inclement weather?

Hey Lison,

THe bed comes with pretty good info on installing it. It has foam supports you put in around the edges and down the middle (if two separate mattresses). We have not been in the habit of letting the air out as we should. Have noticed in out travels that I'll check the pressure to see how it is (we keep it at 100 as we like firm) and it actually lets air out to get to 100. (BTW, to get it to adjust, you hit say the left side button and it lights up and just tells you what the pressure was set at last. It will not change anything as it assumes it is there. So to check the pressure, you have to make a change, like drop it to 95, and then back to 100. Then the controller checks the pressure and adjusts accordingly.) Usually when we get back home, and we strip the bed, I drop it down to 40 or so. If you are lucky, you will like it at 40-50 and not have to worry about over inflation with minor fluctuations.

I got my two pressure relief valves the other day, now I just have to hunt down some fittings to put them in

Safe travels,

jeff
Jeff

lison
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jeff. I just ordered a Sleep Number for the 5W and was looking for info on installing it. Not sure if it comes with side boards or anything tricky. Interesting info on the over inflation. While I don't anticipate big altitude changes in the near future, I would expect big temp changes while in storage in the sun when the camper is all closed up. Do you always deflate while in storage? What about when gone for the day and need to keep windows closed for inclement weather?

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great plan. Maybe when you finish you could post a picture, materials list, and how to guide for some of us that are not so handy. Thanks
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree. I have had an inflatable RV mattress since 2003 and have been very pleased with it. Always reduce pressure in the mattress before going to higher altitude.

Dog Folks wrote:
After nine years of travel I still don't find it to difficult to push the button on the remote and air the mattress "down" before a big change in altitude.

Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
It can't be any fun being in Colorado. I see a profound difference going from the cool beach, back home @~1800' and 30 degrees warmer. The mattress is like a rock.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

Jeff
Jeff