cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery switch

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 1995 Damon Ultrasport. I've been going through the RV, and reading the ambiguous owners manual. However, this switch on the side of the sink over the generator switch remains a mystery to me.

12 REPLIES 12

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Thats the challenge of RV ownership. Figuring out what everything does without destroying it in the process.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a big blowtorch or small jet engine when it lights. Love that sound. When you turn that switch to "ON" the switch should glow and a small dot of a light should also come on. When the heater lights successfully, the little dot will go OUT and the light in the switch will say ON. At least the Atwood water heaters I've seen... Some of the older ones DO have a 120-VAC heating element that's hidden on the back (inboard) side of the tank. If you find another mystery switch (ours is a household wall switch with a light that says you've turned it ON), then you may have electric heating also. We can look that up, if you find and post the Model Number.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of gallons should be fine- plenty of room to expand upwards. I might worry about the inlet fitting.
-- Chris Bryant

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Darn, I was sure it was your garbage disposal.;)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the water heater switch. See if you hear it "whoosh" when somebody turns it on. The whoosh is the light up.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all part of owning a rv,you,ll learn some thing new each day.

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
I had to go outside and double check the heater was gas only.
I no longer have a mystery switch, and I'll get hot showers!
Now I just hope what water was left in the tank didn't damage anything.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome!
Yes, that's the water heater switch. Having just one switch it activates the gas function.
Unless you turned it on and left it on without any water in the tank, you should be fine.

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Oooops!!:o

Hope I didn't fry anything while trying to figure it out. Then again, I may be either saved or have worse issues. While putting a new mattress in the back, I noticed frost on the tank. When I pulled the drain plug, I got a couple gallons out of the tank.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood water heater switch.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Figured out the pic. It's on the side of the kitchen sink.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome! Image doesn't display. If you can upload pix we can see, please show not just what it looks like but where it is. There's a process on the "Forum Technical Support" forum, most of the way down on the list.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB