cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Natchez Trace

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on going down the Natchez Trace Parkway this summer on the way home from Michigan. Had heard that the roads were in poor condition. Has anyone had a recent trip(within the last year) down this road? Can any of you recommend RV parks nearby with full hookups heading south from Nashville TN ending in Natchez Ms ?Also, what's the average speed one could expect to do on the parkway in a class A motorhome?
11 REPLIES 11

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Davis Lake Campground Houlka MS is Forest Service campground on small lake right off Natchez Trace. Water & 50amp electric with dump station. Make reservations. At the end, across the river in Vidalia LA we like Riverview RV Park on the MS River.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We did the entire Trace in March on our way to Indiana from Texas this spring. Roads were very good. Speed limit is 50 except on the extreme northern section which is hillier and curvier and then it is 40.

We stayed at Timberlake Campground in Jackson. The new section out front is large and adequate for big rigs. I would call for a reservation during the summer. Meriwether Lewis camp right on the Trace has some places large motorhomes can fit. It is first come, first served, I think and has no hookups if I recall. Nice and quiet for overnight. I think they have comfort stations. It's free.

The Trace is our favorite road. DH doesn't like driving it, but since I do the driving, it's fine. I love it. We will be taking it in another week from Bay Springs Lake to Nashville when we leave our family reunion in northern Mississippi.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We took 2 weeks to go up the Trace last fall. Mostly stayed at Mississippi and Tennessee State Parks along the way so that we could have W/E hookups. I am not sure if it is a private park or not but one place we stayed at was Grand Gulf Military Park, Ft Gibson, MS. If you like Civil War history, you should love this park. It has a small but great museum and interesting history. Would highly recommend it. The CG was as good as any of the state parks we stayed at on this trip. A little off the Trace but to us well worth it.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand from post last year the NPS campgrounds are good for bigger rigs.
We enjoyed stopping at most of the pullouts. The lake near Jackson Miss is outstanding. Enjoyed a nice long lunch, at one. The only commercial RV campgrounds were near Tupelo and just a mile or less off the Trace. Quaint at best.
Tupelo uses the Trace as part of their major road plan so expect traffic even occasional semis, though not legal.

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Loved this trip. The roads are in good condition except through Jackson and Tupelo. You may hit a few pot holes in those two towns. The road gets better the further south you drive. Loved this drive! It took us about 4 days to do it. Make sure you eat at the King's Tavern in Natchez and the Lovelace Café in Nashville. Spend some time in Natchez and tour a few of the antebellum homes. Great trip. One of the best trips we have done in our MH.
Mark

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile so I can't comment about road surface, but figure 40mph all said and done. Tupelo is a common stopping point with good BBQ and a few tourist things to see. Campground there was FHU and easy access.

Be aware there is almost no shoulder, and bicycles have the right of way. Low stress drive, wife loved it, I got a little bored after 200 miles.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
50 mph and ENFORCED!

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Road surface is fine, although most places don't have a wide shoulder. Speed limit is 45, and the Park Service does not have a sense of humor about anything over. Expect cyclists this time of year.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very nice drive with good roads. Maximum speed is 40-50 mph. I personally enjoy staying at their free campgrounds without hookups. We will typically read the history and lore of the Trace in the evening. It is nice to get away from TVs and electricity for a few days. If it gets too hot at night there are plenty of campgrounds right off the parkway.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Natchez passes near several fairly large cities, all of which have RV parks that are easily accessible. Watch out for deer and turkeys that may be on the road. It is a great drive with beautiful scenery and several places to pull off and see the sights.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
speed 35-40
Roads are okay
Bridge over the river between Tennessee and Alabama under construction one lane

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

did it north bound less than a month ago

If you have time get the guide it lists services off trace along the way

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Natchez-Trace-Parkway-Bachleda/dp/0897329252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496699317&sr=8-1&keywords=natchez+trace+guide
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind