cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navion/View 24J or 24M

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering downsizing from a 39 foot diesel pusher to a Navion or View. The two models I am looking at are the 24J and the 24M.

I like the open floor plan on the 24M and the extra counter space in the living room but the fold out bed is not comfortable as it is. I am going to get the bed over the cab so I was thinking I could put a foam pad in the cab over the bed to put on the fold out coach. Is this a good approach or will it be just a pain to be putting the pad on the bed every night? I also saw that the 24M has less external storage. Will this be a big issue?

The 24J has the corner bed which worries me but I like that it is 80 inches long. How much of an issue is the corner bed? It is a problem for the inner person to get up at night?

Will we regret giving up the space and ride of the diesel pusher for the better gas mileage, lower maintenance costs and flexibility of a 25 foot class C?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star
9 REPLIES 9

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a foam topper on our rear corner bed, making it the most comfortable bed we own - including the ones in our stick house. We don't make up the corner bed at all .... we "make up" only the foam topper with a clean fitted sheet.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
Another question: we test drove a View and there was a lot of noise inside the coach. There was a lot of creaking and banging and rattling. I am not sure if the issue is that things have not been tightened up or tied down or not.

What mileage could I expect towing a Jeep at 4500 pounds?

Was this a new one or one with somebody's belongings in it? Ours is pretty quiet as far as RVs go. We pack to keep the noise down too.

As far as towing a 4500 lb Jeep, if you are at max gross weight for the RV (and you will be), you will be exceeding the combined weight rating.

RV gross weight is 11,000 and max combined weight is 15,000. That leaves 4,000 to tow.

Towing we get about 14 mpg but it varies wildly depending on winds and speed.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Another question: we test drove a View and there was a lot of noise inside the coach. There was a lot of creaking and banging and rattling. I am not sure if the issue is that things have not been tightened up or tied down or not.

What mileage could I expect towing a Jeep at 4500 pounds?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say a corner bed would be preferable and more comfortable than some makeshift sofa bed.
bumpy

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The corner bed isn't an issue for us. The foam mattress is great and We have some of our most restful sleep in the RV. We converted the cabover area to storage. LINK
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
The corner bed is not an issue for us. My wife sleeps against the bathroom wall and often easily gets up at night without even waking me. I sleep against the outside wall and never get up during the night. However, I do go to bed after shes asleep most nights with no problem. Our two dachshunds sleep in the middle. We put the ottoman at the end of the bed at night and that makes it easier. We have learned it is easier to just have a fitted bottom sheet on and then just use loose blankets for the top sheet....and we don't usually make the bed during the day. We wouldn't trade our floor plan. Take a look at the Vias also, the P is equivalent to the J floor plan and it has more storage than the Views.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
The corner bed is a pain for the reasons mentioned. The one who gets up more often definitely needs to sleep by the opening. Storage is limited and it's not as comfortable as a larger unit once camped. But... it is economical, drives like a dream, convenient to park, easy to set up and store and has all of the essential comforts. Plus, even with the small Mercedes diesel it can still pull a good sized toad! We love our (similar) mini vista cruiser.
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I wanted the 24J but changed my mind after "trying on" the bed at the local dealership. Bought the 24G instead and am very pleased with it. The "walkaround" ("shuffle partway around" is more accurate) queen is quite comfortable. The only drawback is that you can't sleep comfortably without putting out one slide or the other so it's not so great for stealth camping but that doesn't come up very often in my case anyway.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing, and could not get over the conner bed! Not only was it uncomfortable, and try climbing over someone in the middle of the night, but it was such a pain to make up! I ended up trading it for a 5th wheel.