cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on dish network system for roof

Ponyo
Explorer
Explorer
I am in research mode looking to purchase a roof mounted system for Dishnetwork.
Which system would you recommend and which receiver?
Thanks,
Craig

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dale.Traveling wrote:
The last owner of my coach spent the money for an in motion roof mount. Over half the time the view to the satellites is blocked by trees, mounts and such. Tried a manual aim antenna and got tired of the hit/miss of aiming and bought a carry out. Use a iPhone app from Dish to find a clear view of the satellites and plop the antenna down. Five minutes later I have access to my subscribed package. Consider you camping locations before pulling the trigger. The roof mounted probably work great in Kanas not so much in the forests and hilly areas.

Trees are certainly an issue with roof mounted units. Hills? Not so much (but a mountain could be). If you have open sky to the South you "generally" are going to be able to get satellite TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
katoomer wrote:
I have Dish Network and a Motosat HD dish. I use a VIP722K receiver for the main TV and the outside tv. It allows you to record 2 recordings at the same time and watch a third feed. In the bedroom we have a VIP211K. No PVR in that one. All are HD with HDMI out. You will need to run 4 coax cables plus a control cable to the roof mounted dish. I have a fairly complex system in our coach. Main tv is 40" samsung with a Marantz NR1504 AV receiver, Panasonic DVD, and Klipsch in-ceiling speakers and a Velodyne Mini-Vee subwoofer. Outside I have a 27" Samsung with a Bryston B60 integrated amp driving Some Tera Labs outdoor speakers that I hang on the side of the coach. Bedroom has 27" Samsung. I also have 2 Sonos Connects that allow me to access my library of 20,000 uncompressed songs that I can control thru my WIFI router with my iPhone. Excellent sound quality, makes the coaches with Bose systems sound like junk. The motosat is excellent and reliable but like all roof mounted dishes you need direct line of site

MotoSAT is out of business so not really a choice any longer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a Winegard Trav'ler for four years and have been very happy with it. We use the Dish Network VIP 611 from the sticks & bricks and it works fine. There have been a couple of times where our signal was blocked by trees, but they are few and far between.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last owner of my coach spent the money for an in motion roof mount. Over half the time the view to the satellites is blocked by trees, mounts and such. Tried a manual aim antenna and got tired of the hit/miss of aiming and bought a carry out. Use a iPhone app from Dish to find a clear view of the satellites and plop the antenna down. Five minutes later I have access to my subscribed package. Consider you camping locations before pulling the trigger. The roof mounted probably work great in Kanas not so much in the forests and hilly areas.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have Dish Network and a Motosat HD dish. I use a VIP722K receiver for the main TV and the outside tv. It allows you to record 2 recordings at the same time and watch a third feed. In the bedroom we have a VIP211K. No PVR in that one. All are HD with HDMI out. You will need to run 4 coax cables plus a control cable to the roof mounted dish. I have a fairly complex system in our coach. Main tv is 40" samsung with a Marantz NR1504 AV receiver, Panasonic DVD, and Klipsch in-ceiling speakers and a Velodyne Mini-Vee subwoofer. Outside I have a 27" Samsung with a Bryston B60 integrated amp driving Some Tera Labs outdoor speakers that I hang on the side of the coach. Bedroom has 27" Samsung. I also have 2 Sonos Connects that allow me to access my library of 20,000 uncompressed songs that I can control thru my WIFI router with my iPhone. Excellent sound quality, makes the coaches with Bose systems sound like junk. The motosat is excellent and reliable but like all roof mounted dishes you need direct line of site
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best performance available to the RVer using satellite TV will be had with an antenna like the Winegard Trav'ler (open faced antenna). This option allows you to use any receiver or receivers, DVR(s) or the Hopper. It's the same antenna used at home converted into a mobile format.
If you wanted a dome style antenna that would allow use while driving (the only reason I see any more for buying a roof mounted dome) then there are a number of choices from several manufacturers but some are limited to specific receivers and none will handle more than one receiver or a DVR the same way you would be able to use them at home. No dome can receive the DirecTV HD programming but since you mention Dish, it would be able to get all of the Dish programming (one satellite at a time).

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a KVH Track Vision roof mounted dish that works really well with my Dish VIP211K reciever when we are not under the trees and can get a clear shot of the southern sky. For those times when we can't get a signal with the roof mount, I carry a Tailgator which is very easy to set up and quickly gets a signal.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Mremdal33
Explorer
Explorer
We use a winegard carryout automatic. I have a mount on the roof that can accept the carryout if needed. Most times the signal is just fine without taking it up on the roof of the RV. What works best for you is like others have mentioned, it is about channel selection and convenience. Gary RVRoamer wrote a nice piece on figuring out what you might need: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-satellite-tv-dish-services-options/

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about DISH satellite TV, then a Winegard Trav'ler (~ $1200) is your best option.

If you're talking about DISH Net -- an Internet service, then you're out of luck because DISH Net is for fixed locations, not RVs.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Mototrac system mounted on our 2007 SeaBreeze. I have DirectTv right now and it seems to work well when I'm clear of trees. We spend a lot of time in the heavy forests in northern Arizona, the trees block the signal. In the clear, we get great service. My issue with the services, is that the affordable subscription, for the most part have a lousy selection of channels. Check both services before settling. Good luck, happy travels.