cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Dash Radio Repair

Mississippi
Explorer
Explorer
My Coach has a Jensen VR182 dash radio. The back-lighting on the screen has died making the information on the screen difficult to read. I contacted Jensen about repairs and they do not offer such a service. To make matters worse, the model that replaced this unit is larger and will not fit the opening in the dash. Does anyone know of a company that offers repair services on these types of radios?
S. Keith Winfield,CPA
Carol Winfield, copilot
2013 Entegra Coach - Anthem 42RBQ
Ford F150 Crew Cab
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
By the way.. Crutchfield (Add the www and com) has one of the largest selection of dash radios in the business.. You might find a better unit that fits the hole in the dash.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with replacement.I am an MECP certified installer and we tend to stay away from Jensen as it is bottom tear stuff. Your Jensen is a but of an oddball as it does not adhere to the standard radio sizes of DIN or Double DIN. None the less, they do make adapters to make any radio fit so you can upgrade if you wish.
The VR182 is still available on Ebay if you wish to stay with it. You can get a working used one for about 50 bucks...
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

boba
Explorer
Explorer
i replaced the radio in my motorhome(it was a jensen) with an alpine. i needed a ford adapter kit(i have a fleetwood dp) to make it fit. the whole replacement took under an hour(and i am not a mechanic). note your satelitte reciever is made for the jensen and will not work in another brand(and even some jensen) recievers so if you use xm or sirius, you would need to buy a satelitte box also.

CanardNoir
Explorer
Explorer
Mississippi wrote:
My Coach has a Jensen VR182 dash radio. The back-lighting on the screen has died making the information on the screen difficult to read. I contacted Jensen about repairs and they do not offer such a service. To make matters worse, the model that replaced this unit is larger and will not fit the opening in the dash. Does anyone know of a company that offers repair services on these types of radios?

Jensen (actually AudioVox) is just another cheap, sub-grade brand that some motorhome builders, including Winnebago, have used.

Both my Jensen VR182 and the Jensen DVD player in the entertainment center quit within the first four years of use! The fit of the so-called HD TV presented another problem that the dealer could not solve - go figure.

The King Sat-TV dome has also been problem-riddled with three (3) $300+ coax connector replacements before I did the fourth myself.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two kinds of backlights, One is easily replaced by the user, The other is likely custom made for that make and model and impossible to replace. Most modern radios have the latter.

Most repair technicians who do that kind of thing charge upwards of 100-150/hour one hour minimum. So that makes replacement.. A lot less expensive.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mississippi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. I think I am on the trial of a replacement.
S. Keith Winfield,CPA
Carol Winfield, copilot
2013 Entegra Coach - Anthem 42RBQ
Ford F150 Crew Cab

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
try turning your headlight control button, on our rv if you turn the knob the lights on the dash and radio get dim or bright.

Thats a good idea although I would think this unit would have the light on all the time.

The costs of the repair will most likely be more than a used/refurbished one. I used to do electrical repair and that display is right between the cassette and CD player. In addition the illumination is most likely built into the LED display so the whole display would have to be replaced. It may be a $10 part at wholesale, but the labor and markup will make it not worth it.

Also, although you say the newer model is larger it may not be that difficult to modify your dash for the newer model. A local car/radio installation shop would be able to tell you if they can do it or not.

raytronx
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get it out. Try a TV/Stereo repair shop , it's likely as simple as a burnt out bulb but needs to be dissemble and a new bulb soldered in. Worth a shot before you junk it.
Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
Just take it out and take it to and audio store and they will give you one that fits and a adapter cable to hook it up with.
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
try turning your headlight control button, on our rv if you turn the knob the lights on the dash and radio get dim or bright.

supermod38
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a new one here is the replacement clicky good luck.

or a used one here
Not here for a long time, just a*GOOD* time;)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Go to a wrecking yard and get a used one.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may check on eBay to find a replacement for your old unit. Since the VR182 is not longer in production, you may be able to pick one up for a song. Then it is just a simple pull one out and slide the new one in. Probably much cheaper and less hassle than trying to repair the old radio.
\
I forgot to add that if you go to a large retailer like Best Buy, that deals with radio installation, you may find that there are several other radios that may just plug right into your existing frame.

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
see if you can find a 2 way radio dealer that does police ,fire etc alot of them have bench techs they might be able to help you but be prepared it will prob cost more than a new one
2009 Challenger