cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new doghouse out of wood?

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of an extensive remodel on our 2008 Tiffin Allegro Open Road. I might have to rebuild part of the doghouse.

The current setup has two pieces consisting of a fiberglass shell, which is screwed onto the "firewall" and floor, and a hatch made of heavy plywood which also serves as the floor between the driver and passenger seats. The wooden section is fine but I might need to rebuild and replace the fiberglass part.

If I do rebuild the doghouse, I might make it out of the same heavy plywood as the floor/hatch section.

Is there any reason I CAN'T replace the fiberglass section with plywood? I believe that if the wood is strong enough and I use plenty of sound/heat insulation, the wood should be just fine.

Does that sound right or are there other factors I should consider?
12 REPLIES 12

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is nothing wrong with building it out of plywood if you have the skill to do it right. Don't worry about a fire problem, fiberglass burns very well, as evidenced by thousands of fiberglass boat fires. In fact, wood will probably give you more warning, and more time use a fire extinguisher, than fiberglass in event of a fire. I would install a foil covered sound deadening material on the bottom side to help deaden the noise.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
The doghouse in my unit is all made out of wood. 5/8" plywood. There is a sheet metal/( maybe aluminum )that completly covers the under side of the doghouse. Whats funny about the whole thing is that the plywood and 2x4 material that supports the doghouse is completly exposed. Build on with the plywood.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Wood and fiberglass are absolutely interchangable in every case.

The only thing wood has as a disadvantage is it will rot, expand, contract and warp after getting wet.

Do a thorough job painting your wood with neat epoxy and it'll behave exactly like fiberglass.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I would have an Ansul Sprinkler system installed below the wood. Its bound to explode.
Dennis Hoppert

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
double post, sorry.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
deprived wrote:
flagstickfrank wrote:
Repairing the FG is much easier than building a replacement out of plywood, especially if the original has rounded edges or corners. FG repairs are easy and usually requires basic skills. I use standard auto kits available at any parts store.

Its not that it needs to be repaired exactly, its that it is very poorly made and it does not seal particularly well. The FG sealing edges are all wavy and parts of the floor are uneven as well. The builder (Tiffin) bridged these gaps by stapling shag carpet around the edges making a crude gasket. Pretty lazy if you asked me.

I've used epoxy and rubber insulation strips to try and even out the edges but it's still pretty noisy and stinky.

I'll try to make the fiberglass thing work but at the end of the day I think it will be much easier to just rebuild the **** thing. Quieter, too, probably.

Imagine that, something not built correctly on an RV?, hmmmmmm. Now that doesn't really happen does it? Anyway, this is a judgment call. If you feel you can do a better job with a newly built plywood cover, well, go for it. It's your coach. I've done the same thing, oh, about a few dozen times. The manufacturers "ka-thump" things out at sometimes a substantial rate and in some cases, they just don't turn out right or fit correctly.

On the other hand, if you can modify the existing F/G one and think in the end, it will work, well again, it's your coach. You ought to see some of the things I've changed/altered/fabricated so that our coach is better/more efficient/more suited for us.
Scott

On edit: I don't have a clue as to why my entire post here got underlined. That's not the way I intended it. I was only underlining the red lettered quote and something got screwed up. Hmmmmm
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
flagstickfrank wrote:
Repairing the FG is much easier than building a replacement out of plywood, especially if the original has rounded edges or corners. FG repairs are easy and usually requires basic skills. I use standard auto kits available at any parts store.

Its not that it needs to be repaired exactly, its that it is very poorly made and it does not seal particularly well. The FG sealing edges are all wavy and parts of the floor are uneven as well. The builder (Tiffin) bridged these gaps by stapling shag carpet around the edges making a crude gasket. Pretty lazy if you asked me.

I've used epoxy and rubber insulation strips to try and even out the edges but it's still pretty noisy and stinky.

I'll try to make the fiberglass thing work but at the end of the day I think it will be much easier to just rebuild the **** thing. Quieter, too, probably.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
IMHO if your going to use wood, line it with sheet metal to help in case of fire.

I think Reflectix foil insulation would do almost the same thing and be much easier to install.

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO if your going to use wood, line it with sheet metal to help in case of fire.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with the FG piece?

Picture?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a problem building the dog house out of plywood, except for a couple extra pounds of weight.
A few pounds isn't going to be a problem. And, the wood should help muffle the sound.