cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Smart Car

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new 2016 Smart Car yesterday. It is the Passion Coupe.. I have been towing a 2009 Passion since I purchased it new. Have traveled well over 50,000 miles including Alaska with it trailing behind. Great tow car. I test drove the new Smart and fell in love immediately.. The new suspension and horsepower along with the extra 4 inches in width are great. Radio is better and all the computer stuff you expect in a new car. I love my original Smart but this is clearly an upgrade. Now that they have the procedure for flat towing this was a must. I have run through the process for towing and it works well and blue ox baseplate has been ordered.
30 REPLIES 30

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy... I apologize for hi-jacking your thread. I'll shut up now. 🙂
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
50 mpg is interesting because you just NEVER EVER see actual fuel mileage
come out higher than factory controlled conditions advertised fuel mileage
@47 on vehicles theses days

I make you this promise, I achieve 50+ regularly on the freeway, driving 55mph. At 70mph it's 37-45.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
I'd seen some writeups on flat towing the Smart, something you can't do with the Mirage,

The 5 speed manual can be flat towed, at least the Mitsubishi dealer I spoke with said it could.

The Mirage was my very first import. Been a GM guy for years, but the Spark didnt light me up any. What sold me was the 5yr/60K miles bumper to bumper 10yr/100K drive train warranty. I got a loaded CVT for $15200, out the door.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Goldencrazy. That looks like a fun car to drive and park.

I dream of the day when the kids have successfully moved out into the world and my wife and I can downsize.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimInMich wrote:
Not raining on the Smart parade, but check out the Mitsubishi Mirage. Roomier, better gas milage, great warranty, less money, same weight as a Smart. I have 20,000 miles on my 2015 so far. I drive 55-60 mph and average over 50mpg regularly ( hit 63mpg one day, but has a slight tail wind ). I have the hatchback.

Actually the Mirage is a tad heavier, at least when I checked. The Smart figures I saw indicated it was about 1900 lbs and the Mirage is just shy of 2100 lbs. BUT, the Mirage seats 5, gets about the same MPG as the Smart and runs on regular gas. If you're looking at trailering either you can get the Smart on a 10' trailer but the Mirage needs at least 12'. I'd seen some writeups on flat towing the Smart, something you can't do with the Mirage, but wasn't aware it's now "permitted" by MB. Probably explains the deal with the Smart and Leisure Travel Vans that was just announced.

I've researched both cars quite a bit and I'm leaning towards the Mirage and towing it on a dolly or small trailer. There are a couple of single axle trailers designed for hauling small cars that come with ramps and are pretty light weight. But if the Smart can be flat towed maybe I'll have to re-evaluate my options.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it is best if we like the toad for more than just towing. I have had a lot of fun with the Smart Car and love driving it. Now looking forward to all the features and improved ride on this new one. I wish we could tow our Prius four down.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The premium is because of the smaller engine which does not burn the emissions from regular gas enough so premium to prevent replacing c converter. You could drive on regular but with less burning efficiency. Mirage sound like a great toad.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
For us, the ultimate toad is an everyday driver that will do it all and it just so happens that the one we have is preferred by the both of us. Had it off road today, but for the most part, it's DW's mall crawler.
Really wouldn't want to support another vehicle and solely for the sake of towing it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear Usersmanual. Drive slower.

Happy Thanksgiving,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
well my 2 litre 2016 Sport turbo ltd does not; my 2012 Grand Vitara does not; my 2007 chev Silverado does not; my kids 2014 Honda civic does not; my brothers 2011 duramax does not; we are all middle of the road drivers not slow but don't get speeding tickets either

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:

That is not true Usersmanual. We currently have eight cars in the stable (of course some are aging) and being an Accountant, I'm a numbers person. I track all of my fuel mileage. And, since I always buy new cars, I keep the original window stickers.

I have many times on a normal basis meet or beat the listed ratings. On the Honda CR-V, I consistently get one mile greater on the highway than they list. As you know, it depends on how you drive and I'm mostly an easy driver.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Jim, I don't think I've ever seen a Mitsubishi Mirage... nice looking car. I've certainly have seen the other small cars like the Yaris, Scion IQ, etc.

The Smart car has amazing crash test ratings, I would like to see how the other small cars hold up. I'm sure you have seen the 70 mph Smart Car crash test where the 'cage' of the car is virtually un-damaged when smashed into a concrete wall.

Even though the cage of the Smart Car is intact, the sudden decrease in speed is deadly to any human.

What I don't understand about the Smart Car, is the premium fuel requirement. Even the Lincoln Town Car we inherited uses regular. LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Not raining on the Smart parade, but check out the Mitsubishi Mirage. Roomier, better gas milage, great warranty, less money, same weight as a Smart. I have 20,000 miles on my 2015 so far. I drive 55-60 mph and average over 50mpg regularly ( hit 63mpg one day, but has a slight tail wind ). I have the hatchback.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.