cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new to class c

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
If everything go alright , I will be a owner of a used 2017 freedom elite 29fe, I have been using travel trailer ever since got into camping. what can I expect shifting to a class c.
21 REPLIES 21

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Dan - Wife and I also moved from the TT world to the C world, and our first seven night trip was great ! Much easier to drive than I read about, and handled very well !

We bought out of state and flew up to get it. Had a good / fun trip from Ohio to WV to Va to NC to Ga ( places where we spent at least one night ).

Before leaving the dealership I had them air up the Mich tires to specs on drivers door, and the Air Rite system to 70psi. We drove through high winds, heavy rain, and mountains without issue.

Having access to the kitchen and bathroom, was great while rolling down the road for us!

Having never driven one before I was concerned about getting into and out of gas stations.....not a problem so far. I did scrape bottom a little entering a gas station in Ga, no biggie just eye them up first. ( I attempted to enter a gas station on the opposite side of the road. As I committed, a truck that was pulling out of that station stopped and blocked my entrance. I was already " mostly" in the center turn lane so I went to a driveway leading to a gas station next door to my first choice.

1400 miles later we were home (Boooooo) ! We had a very good time and although we really liked our TT, for us.....this is much better ! I am now shopping for a tow system for our Jeep JK !

Best of luck with your new RV.........and enjoy it !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
One of the big differences is that your Class C is also your only source of transportation (assuming you don't have toad). As such - if your inadvertently drain the chassis battery while dry camping you may find yourself stuck. Be familiar with what devices are connected to your chassis vs house battery - rigs vary. In my rig I discovered that the electric stairs and alarms were connected to the chassis battery which created an issue so I moved them over to the house battery. I also learned that starting the engine before you start the generator will not only help the generator start but help you from draining the chassis battery.
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danford50 wrote:
being new to a class c , when I boondock and using the generator , with the generator will I be able to use everthing, such as the ac, lights, and the micro mave at the same time.

That depends on the generator and on what all everything is. In your case I believe you have a 30A electrical panel and an Onan 4000W generator, so it will be able to power things pretty much as if you were connected to shore power. (I found the 2018 specs for the model online, and am assuming they aren't much different from 2017.)

With a 30A electric setup, you can definitely run one high-power device at a time, and generally with a bit of care run two. High-power devices include the air conditioner, the microwave, the water heater electric element assuming it has one, a hair dryer, most electric coffee makers, a toaster, etc. Trying to run three of these almost certainly won't work; you'll trip a circuit breaker, probably the main 30A breaker.

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
being new to a class c , when I boondock and using the generator , with the generator will I be able to use everthing, such as the ac, lights, and the micro mave at the same time.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope everything go right!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42.... OP was pretty specific.... 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE.

All the rest very good suggestions. I had a toad also, with a Class C and a Class A. Also, did the toadless thing for 2 years. So, it works either way. Toad is easier, but more money, another vehicle, have to set it up for towing.

To the OP... congrats on your move. Many happy memories....

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it would help if you are more specific on your model.

Our RV is our first and it just about perfect for us. We have a toad, which enables us to scoot around, buy groceries, go fishing, etc. without taking the whole system everywhere.

Storage is always an issue. No matter how much you have, its not enough, so you have to be creative and be merciless on eliminating things you don't need for each trip.

Also we depend on using showers in the campground and we use our shower space for storage.

Having three doors is sometimes a very nice thing.

Most that I know of have a very small TV that is incoveniently placed for viewing, but I solved that problem by going big and mounting on a swivel.

A class C will certainly have upgraded appliances over a TT.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.