cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to diesel fuel

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2023 Winnebago View. New to the whole diesel fuel issue and have a few questions.

1) Do I need to put any fuel stabilizers in the tank when in storage or between trips?
2) A friend suggested using Bio Bro to keep fungus down. Do I need to use it?
3) I've heard that DEF has a shelf life. When putting in storage or between trips should I fill it up or leave it alone?
19 REPLIES 19

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
I've beem driving various GM and Ford diesels since 2005. I never put anything in the tank but diesel. These vehicles were all driven regularly so tje fuel was always new.
DEF will eventually expire. I would fill your tank if it's going to sit for months.
wouldn’t it be better to not fill the tank so you can put fresh stuff in when your ready to go again?

Diesel does not have the same characteristic as gasoline, particularly ethanol based gas which attracts water. It stays "fresh" for just about forever in a sealed container. You want to fill the fuel tank though as an air space helps to encourage the growth of bacteria and funguses which can play havoc with your fuel system. I use an additive which also discourages that from happening but it's not an issue if you are going though fuel every week.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a older MB diesel ,I don,t put anything in the fuel 2007 no problem. in ohio stored in oct garage kept. I do take it for a 20 mile drive on dry nice days when the salt has been washed off the roads. about three times a winter.change oil,filter, an fuel filter, keep tank full keeps condensation out.hate def won,t buy a diesel that uses it.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Been driving diesel equipment for 24 years. We have many diesel storage tanks in storage bins that sit between jobs or phases sometimes for months. The tanks are not what I would call sealed or air tight and the fuel is fine. I would only use additives if you are parking where it can freeze.

I would also keep the DEF tank full when sitting. Some of our issues with DEF have been from crystals forming which I believe are from the tank drying over time because it is not full.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I've beem driving various GM and Ford diesels since 2005. I never put anything in the tank but diesel. These vehicles were all driven regularly so tje fuel was always new.
DEF will eventually expire. I would fill your tank if it's going to sit for months.
wouldn’t it be better to not fill the tank so you can put fresh stuff in when your ready to go again?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer