cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to me 1993 34' Bounder

Lots2learn
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say Hi all. Just picked up a new to me Bounder on Chevy Chasis with 454 and 44k miles. Older rig but clean and was a good bargain for our family. Looking to do some short travels around Houston and Texas.

Any news on the 34 Bounder I need to be aware of? Probably should have researched first but the deal fell in my lap and I couldn't pass it up. Good bad and ugly on the 454's or the 34' Bounder itself?
10 REPLIES 10

BULLETLS1
Explorer
Explorer
I did change a lot of rubbery things, fluids, etc, added some modern chemicals... brakes etc, you dont tel which transmission you use, mine is the 3sp TH400, I had once an issue where suddenly the trans was stuck in first!, (short story...) the governor gear (a punny little plastic gear, $2 in ebay) striped... very easy fix even on the road!, its a cover held by 4 1/2" bolts on mine is on the passenger side of the trans, also change the vacuum modulator, on mine was ok but Ive heard about diaphragm rupturing and then the engine sucks the ATF leaving the trans dry and NOT MOVING! (yours I think is electronic, so only change the governor gear in a 4L80 is on the DRIVERS side)
Ill do it anyway... put a new (reman) starter, and NEW alternator!!!!

put MOTUL oil in your differential.

all your efforts should be focused first on your safety an secondly on the longevity trouble free of any component

HOPE I HAVE PUT YOU TO THINK!!!
GREETINGS FROM SUNNY GUATEMALA
I HAVE A DATE WITH ETERNITY, AND I DON´T WANT TO BE LATE!

userdan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 1996 Bounder this year.

The comments about fluids are spot on. Change them all.

The things that surprised me were the suspension issues.

The front bushings were rotted. Had to replace the front 4 then replaced the rear 4 to be safe.

The oem bell cranks are defective. Read about the Henderson Supersport Bell Cranks and consider replacing with them.

One of the front Coil springs is shot I'll need to replace both with Henderson springs.

Some have recommended a Tracbar for the rear suspension. Though I haven't tried one.

It's hard to complain about the price we paid for these old rigs. I just wasn't prepared for the amount of money I'd be dumping into it.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
If it seems to run hot there is a bunch of different things that people do. Most are in denial about it being the radiator. I learned the hard way by going through all of the motions. Once I recored the radiator, problem fixed.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
In your reading on the auto brake you may come across info to replace it with a manual system with store bought parts keep your eye out for it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

we_just_motor_o
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 99 Bounder 34J. If you disconnect the park brake, you wont have and park brake at all.Read up on this before you start doing anything
Need some info on front air suspenion system on a 1999 Bounder, How many pounds of air it takes? when I check the air pressure, I got 25lbs is this okay?I am new to RVing.still have alot to learn

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 93 Bounder, 454 big block, P30 Chassis and it did not have auto-park.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

Lots2learn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm officially concerned about the autopark!. This unit has been sitting more than driving and I'm afraid there is a likelihood of it locking up. I will be moving the unit home about 75 miles later this afternoon. Is there any way to remove or disconnect the autopark and just use the manual lever? I tried searching for a process but most of the results are discussing adding a "safety light". I'm just worried about it locking up on the way home.Thanks

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome, we have the class C toyota in my signature, a bounder and a KZ travel trailer. 🙂 We really love the bounder!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats!!!!

Think about it like this. If you bought a 1994 Chevy Pickup truck what would you do to make it reliable? Probably a list like below, and I would do everything listed on the coach.

1) inspect and replace brake components as needed (stopping is much more important than going)
2) replace all fluids(oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, rear end fluid, power steering fluid, radiator fluid)
3) do a complete tune up on the motor
4) inspect and replace tires as needed
5) have the dash AC serviced
6) replace suspension components as needed.
7) have the slide components inspected if you have slides.

Now, do everything related to the motor again on the generator.

Next, inspect the appliances, pay attention to the water heater. They are bad to rot out around the water connections on the back.

Have all the propane systems inspected and replace as needed.

Nothing really unique to your Bounder in specificity, the appliances are common between most RV's.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks, Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Bounder. You're going to love it.
I can't help you with Bounder questions. I have a 96 Southwind, 454.
I've had no major problems.
Check the age of your tires, RV tires usually age out before they wear out.
And, you probably have a P 30 chassis equipped with AutoPark.
When you put it in 'Park', a set of brakes clamps around the driveshart to keep the unit from moving.
The AutoPark can be a little annoying at times. Do a Google search or search the forum. There is a lot of info available to help you maintain and/or troubleshoot the AutoPark system.