Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the class B world

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself

I go by the great name Fernando!

I've been traveling in Van conversions since I was young my dad always love them.
Now 30 years old and a soon to be father.... wife is five months 😉
The first thing I thought of was getting rid of my truck camper that I have loved for three years and buying a conversion van. To really start traveling a little more comfortable

So off I was searching for a class b RV's. I wasn't shocked to see the price tags and how well they hold their value So I quickly narrow down my search to cater to my budget which was around 15 K.
After about three months of searching I was down to Coachmens and explores.
About a month ago I was on craigslist doing my normal hunt and came across a 93 Ford coachman E-250. Only about a hour away I decided to go check it out .
Ended up paying 10 grand cash 93 with 60k mile
25 REPLIES 25

DenDanger
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice rig! Congratulations!!
Den.
"Life's a Gas."-The Ramones.
Den's law: "Murphy was underestimating the stuation."

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
my zion has the 'engine generator system'. i won't have to worry about exercising the onan. i will have to worry about the extra alternators pulley belt.Oh well.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just quoting the owners manual. Onan just wants to make sure all the moisture is evaporated, and in some areas 30 minutes is probably not enough. Rust, over time, will eventually damage the generator.
Some people never change their cars engine oil, and never have a problem, of course the next owner may.

senf
Explorer
Explorer
How about exercising your generator 30 minutes twice per month? I have never had generator trouble since we started using a generator in 1996 (two Roadtreks).

We have had our present RT five years and only have 97.8 hours on it.
"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
A generator should be exercised 2 hrs continuously under a 1/2 to full load every month.
This is to keep the carb. from gumming up, and the internal parts, like bearings, windings, etc. dry, and free of rust.
With generators fewer hours is not a good sign. Of course if the gen-set is new, or recently rebuilt then the 50 hrs wouldn't be a concern.

Got it
Thanks

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
A generator should be exercised 2 hrs continuously under a 1/2 to full load every month.
This is to keep the carb. from gumming up, and the internal parts, like bearings, windings, etc. dry, and free of rust.
With generators fewer hours is not a good sign. Of course if the gen-set is new, or recently rebuilt then the 50 hrs wouldn't be a concern.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful rig....very nice!
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
401nailhead wrote:
looks great. My wife is waiting for photos of the interior (we have the 96 coachmen on the Chevy chassis, and would like to compare). Ours is from Florida, a little more weathering on the exterior than yours appears to have. I am about to clean the fiberglass top and do some waxing. Did you get the generator with yours (we did not)?

sure did with only 50hr on it.
ill be posting a video of the interior .
thanks

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
looks great. My wife is waiting for photos of the interior (we have the 96 coachmen on the Chevy chassis, and would like to compare). Ours is from Florida, a little more weathering on the exterior than yours appears to have. I am about to clean the fiberglass top and do some waxing. Did you get the generator with yours (we did not)?

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
Nice liooking unit!

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
buta4 wrote:
I've got a great idea for a name plate on the rear of your new camper -
"Fernando's Hideaway".

Us Old Fogies will remember that as a early 1950's song. (Had to denote that fact due to your age.)
🙂

i like it!
don't think it will fit on one lol

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
Congratulations. Have trans flushed and refilled right away. Those are expensive.Pics must be linked from a site like photobucket. Can't wait to see them.

yup did a flush and dropped the pan to change filler as well

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
As it sits now.
wish i would have taken more pictures of all the mechanical work done.But we work to fast to stop and take them... as my brother would say. LOL

also had my buddy wax it all.

Duramax310
Explorer
Explorer
Rear end new air bags and shocks.also you can see the new 3" exhaust

front end new shocks and hd springs