cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie ClassA questions - Stacker trailers

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old fart, been on RVNet almost 20 years, I've had virtually every type of RV, except Class A. Right now I have the setup in my sig, F450, large 2-slide TC, towing a 24' cargo trailer.

I'm considering jumping to a very specific configuration, and would like some input from those who have it. I'm looking to go with a minimal length Class A diesel pusher, but specifically, also want to tow a triple axle 24-26' stacker 13'6 high trailer for toys. I'm already 56' long with my current set up, would like to stay under 60' if possible.

For those who have one --
* How does a stacker trailer tow in crosswinds?
* What HP do you recommend?
* What MH chassis's would I want to avoid for this?
* I would want a smaller Class A, 36' or less, is that advisable or does the trailer weight necessitate a larger one?
* Do I need to go big on the MH, with a tag axle?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
20 REPLIES 20

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of looking under the topic of "Super C', do a search for Super C. There are posts there.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
firm believer in triple axle and 21.5 tires or as large tire you can find expecially with the super. a new stacker is great but trailer trader, racing junk and other sites you can find a loaded great trailer for half price and only a couple years old. just sayin I have a 8,000 lb lift and it will lift every vehicle ive put on it good luck

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
I don't think the amount of axles has much effect on tongue weight. You need a certain percentage of tongue weight for any trailer to tow true and follow nicely..

I'm glad all my trailers did not read what you say. Some of my trailers, the tongue weight would not change MT to loaded. The last MT weighed 8,600 lbs, and loaded would have 45,000 on 2 axles. The tongue weight on the pintle was about 350 lbs.

Wow that is impressive. Like I said I am just guessing. That would be cool to unhook a 45,000 lbs. trailer with out the use of a tongue jack. That weight and that little tongue weight I would picture the upward force from a bump in the road tearing the pintle or ball latch apart.

The little I looked at stacker trailers when I was looking for my cargo trailer I ruled them out due to most advertising an unloaded tongue weight in excess of 1,000 lbs. and most having pretty substantial tongue jacks (weight handling wise). I have a baby DP so tongue weight becomes an issue. A super C or bigger class A and I wouldn't be too concerned with the tongue weight.

Comeuppance
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Super C should be the right option. You should PM js218 since he is more knowledgeable than me on that matter. And I also recommend you use Kohler Highline Toilet for your bathroom, very efficient and has a favorable price.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
I don't think the amount of axles has much effect on tongue weight. You need a certain percentage of tongue weight for any trailer to tow true and follow nicely..

I'm glad all my trailers did not read what you say. Some of my trailers, the tongue weight would not change MT to loaded. The last MT weighed 8,600 lbs, and loaded would have 45,000 on 2 axles. The tongue weight on the pintle was about 350 lbs.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the amount of axles has much effect on tongue weight. You need a certain percentage of tongue weight for any trailer to tow true and follow nicely. More axles just means more weight carrying capacity which in turn meant more tongue weight. I would imagine there is a ratio or formula and I am sure as you get into large trailers the tongue weight % drops but it is still going to be high on a triple axle stacker. I would guess, and yes it is just a guess, you would need 1500 - 2000 lbs. tongue weight to tow nicely.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
mdanielson55 wrote:
a triple axle stacker spread axle will set level not hooked to the motorhome just make sure your load is close to level.makes all the difference

That's very good to know - I know towing a same-size double vs. triple axle toybox is going to have a totally different tongue weight requirement. Rule of thumb for 2-axle is 10-15%, what is triple axle? Good example of a trailer I'm looking for has axles almost taking all of the tongue weight---

24' Triple Axle
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
a triple axle stacker spread axle will set level not hooked to the motorhome just make sure your load is close to level.makes all the difference

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Super Cs, Dynamax, Renegade, Showhauler...will be hard pressed to find one 36" of under to meet your needs but around 40' you should be good.

FYI, Your proposed stacker with a lift inside is going to be closer to 9=10K empty.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
The 60' is going to be your biggest issue. The trailer is going to be close to 30' leaving 30' for the MH. Very limited number of units in the 30' range with large towing capacity. You can consider something like the trailertoad to help with trailer tongue weight. This might open up some options.

No first hand knowledge on stackers and how they tow in the wind but I know my little DP handles wind much better with my cargo trailer attached.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look on racing junk.com. Lots of toter homes listed there new and used

js218
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ any questions feel free to contact me. Been full timing since 10/16.Had my rig custom built currently has 168,000 miles on it with zero problems all maintenance can be handle at most large truck shops.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Well this isn't good...

When I go to 'Class C' forum, then click on sub-topic 'Super C', not one single post in the forum at all.
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Super C or Toterhome