cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Intro - my gamble, a 1978 Dodge Class C.

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I just bought a used Dodge Class C, MB400 with the 440. 156k on the odometer.

The title says it's a 1978 but the VIN code tells me it's a 77.

F4 = MB400
4 = Conventional cab w/sweptline box; Compact Hi Line Wagon (Royal Sportsman), MB3 High-Line. (Don't know what all this means.)
C = 10,001 lbs to 14,000 lbs
D = 440-1
7 = 1977
V = Warren Truck Compact

My intent is to use it to tow my 4WD to various destinatins in CO and UT. I had been using my F-250 and 4 Wheel Pop Up for this purpose but the camper got swamped in the mud from the flood last fall and is no longer usable. I did get a lot of use out of that camper which I paid $900 for 12 years ago. Also, my wife was tired of using a bucket to do her daily biz. I didn't mind that much myself. If all goes well we will not only have an indoor toilet but a shower also! Not to mention the fridge and a little more room to roam.

I wasn't really considering a class C, but this deal seemed ok albeit a bit of a risk.

I had looked at this rig before but felt the asking price was too hi. They wanted $2500 and couldn't prove it would run. Then just yesterday they called and said they dropped the price to $1500, I offered $1000 and we settled at $1200. It's a bit of a gamble. It does have an Onan genny so very worst case scenario I can salvage that out of it to recoup some of my loss then get scrap price for the rest.

The interior is in very good condition. However, I was unable to test or prove anything. Also, the rig did not have a battery so I have yet to hear it make engine noises!

The claim is that the motor and trans have been rebuilt but not sure when. It was purchased 3 years ago and this owner never used it, he bought it from a friend of his who was done travelling. Drove it to their home and parked it. Said they started it up occasionally until about a year and a half ago and not since.

Today I took a battery over and tried to start it. First it had no electric at all when the key was turned on, then I found a fuse problem and once replaced it had indication on the dash and turn signals, but only a click when trying to start. This was a half hearted attempt, I was just trying to get a lay of the land so to speak with the hope that a battery and starting fluid would get me engine noise. The battery I took over turned out to be weak so that might be the issue. It tested 12.4 volts when I grabbed it from my garage but once connected and tried it quickly dropped to 11.9 volts. I did try to jump start with this battery with no luck. Not really asking for tech help (feel free to suggest though). I'm just describing my experience so far. I am charging that battery at home now and will try again as soon as I can get the time to get back over there (50 minutes away). I am also going to try to enlist the help of a mechanic friend.

I have done my fair share of shade tree wrenching over the years. If just a good batt does nothing further then I will look at the starter solenoid and the starter. There is some questionable wiring I might have to try to sort out in the engine compartment.

Getting that doghouse off was a PIA, seems like the seats may have been upgraded so it did not just pop off, had to pry it a little between the seats and dash.

From what I have gathered so far poking around the forum I am pretty sure I will need a set of tires since these are old. Camper batteries will be needed also.

So, yet to be determined weather I made a $1200 dollar mistake or not.

I sure would like to get it to the house to tinker with, was hoping a battery and some starting fluid would get me going at least to get it home. A tow will cost me $300-$400, which I would prefer to not have to spend.

I am excited to take on this new project and anxious to use it but it might be longer than I was hoping. A goal of taking it on a Moab trip this fall is what I am working toward.

Anyway, I use forums often for my various hobbies and endeavors and look forward to meeting some of you good folks and learning what I can.

BTW, my profile name (Swath) is just an old one I have used for years now on the net. Made it up when I started playing Doom many years ago and have continued to use it since.

If you read this far thanks, more to come as I venture forth.
Terra Incognita
Jeff
28 REPLIES 28

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Swath wrote:

Also, since you have direct experience, do you know if that doghouse is supposed to come off difficult or do you suppose the seats have been changed and made it tougher to pull it off? What I'm saying is, it came off rather difficult. I had to really wedge it back against the seat then force the front of it past the dash. PIA to even change the air filter!

Jeff

With my RV, there is a carpeted board that sits between the doghouse and the house area. It was put there so there isn't a drop in the floor from the cab to the house. I have to pull that board out before I can remove and replace my doghouse. If I don't move the board, I have to squeeze the doghouse and fight to get it out or in; if I do move the board, the doghouse is a snug fit, but easily moves in or out.

So, you might see if someone raised your cab floor, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty1776 wrote:
Swath, I had this exact setup as our first motorhome. That engine is hell-for-stout and if you can get a good battery to it, will hopefully fire up with no problems. Ours initially had a cracked block and we just gooped it up with JBWeld, and got several more years out of it.

Great to know, thanks. I have been gathering similiar impressions about this motor as well as the transmission. I am very glad to hear this.

I have a battery charging up at the house so I should be full up for my next attempt, hopefully Sunday.

It's not even about the camper section yet, and I have fiddled with a few different motors in my time but never a dodge motor. So far I see the starter is on the "wrong" side, the distributor is in the "wrong" place, and things seem a bit crowded under the doghouse and under the short little hood. I will adjust to these things, after all, it's just a motor.

There is a solenoid on the fire wall, do you happen to know if this solenoid is just the starter solenoid? Seems like when I turn the key on it engergizes and stays that was until the key is turned off.

I thought perhaps there might be a solenoid like that to feed juice to the camper batts.

Also, since you have direct experience, do you know if that doghouse is supposed to come off difficult or do you suppose the seats have been changed and made it tougher to pull it off? What I'm saying is, it came off rather difficult. I had to really wedge it back against the seat then force the front of it past the dash. PIA to even change the air filter!

BTW, I am from MN myself, Hallock, which is a little town in the NW corner.

And I see you are even newer here than I, WELCOME.

Jeff

Liberty1776
Explorer
Explorer
Swath, I had this exact setup as our first motorhome. That engine is hell-for-stout and if you can get a good battery to it, will hopefully fire up with no problems. Ours initially had a cracked block and we just gooped it up with JBWeld, and got several more years out of it.

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:

My advice; if it runs drive it. If it breaks down then be prepared to shell out some good money.

I like your thinking.

I have no delusion this will be a start and go. I fully expect to have to inject a significant amount of cash greater than the purchase price. I have to try to calculate the point of diminishing return. Fix the simple and keep moving ahead and I bet I end up with a rig I can live with for several years. It will be completely paid for as I will only spend cash and no borrowing.

I have brought back old rigs before, I aint no expert, I'm just to dense to know when to quit.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
For my first RV, four years ago, I bought an 86 Ford Tioga Class C. I knew nothing about it. First camping trip with it was the start of a seven week 5000 mile trip. Never broke down, but we had it gone through pretty seriously by a mechanic and ended up replacing some suspension components and the steering gear. Tires were expensive so only replaced the front ones. Mistake; had an old rear tire blow out... very scary. The old Onan generator was a pain. However, we had also updated the old interior and made it pretty nice.

We hauled a 78 Jeep CJ5 behind ours for almost every single mile driven. Averaged 5.5 mpg.

My advice; if it runs drive it. If it breaks down then be prepared to shell out some good money.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
j-d wrote:
Trigger magnets in those distributors went weak. That limited the spark at cranking RPM.

Thanks. I'll make a note of that for my mechanic. I can't wait to get this resolved - it's the only thing that hasn't been an easy "replace this and now it works great". I do love my clipper and wouldn't trade it for anything.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Swath wrote:
Wow, I am anxious to crawl underneath and have a look at that receiver hitch. Screwed into the wood? Wow...

Jeff

Apparently, the chassis frame stopped several feet before the end of the RV and some folks didn't want to extend the frame, so they "compromised"... Some were well-built, but not all.

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
Capt.Storm wrote:
I never heard of a distributor being called a dizzy..made me laugh out loud!

Glad to be of service...

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
The hitches on the clippers were added after market, so many of them were just screwed into the wood, etc. Definitely have it checked out before trying to tow (or carry) anything. They can be reinforced, etc., but get it done by someone who really knows what they're doing - you don't want your Suzuki rolling back home.

Wow, I am anxious to crawl underneath and have a look at that receiver hitch. Screwed into the wood? Wow...

Jeff

Capt_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
I never heard of a distributor being called a dizzy..made me laugh out loud!

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
My biggest concern would be even if you get it to run, will you trust it to keep running to get you where you want to go and then back home? Not sure the Suzuki will be up to the task of dragging it back and you really can't just abandon it on the side of the road. The fact of the matter is it was built in the late 70s, not the high water time for US automakers. IF the chassis and RV portion is worth it, I would probably be looking at a new motor. At least you would have some sense of security it wouldn't just die in the middle of the interstate.

I can deal with some uncertainty, these old motors can be very reliable. A lot less electronics to go bad. Out of my 3 vehicles (now 4), only one of them is fuel injected.

My 84 Ford truck has never left me stranded and I have driven it 200,000 miles on top of the original (to me) 146,000. The carbed 460 gets me 12 mpg pretty much loaded or unloaded as long as I keep it 60 mph or below. It does have a nice tri Y header, RV cam, recurved dizzy and a nice torque intake. It's a great motor. From what I have heard so far the Dodge 440 is very good in it's own right. In the mountains of Colorado the extra power is good to have on tap but excellent brakes are a must.

I will get it running and take a few test loops close to home then decide how far to trust it. Cary a few common failure parts and give it a go.

As far as the Samurai pulling the camper! Good one, it has a 1.3 liter motor and can't get itself up to 55 unless it's downhill. But I bet it would pull it in low range 1st gear, however, I can walk faster that it moves when in low low, and I have. I have stepped out of it idling in first gear low range and walked beside it.

Really, I am hoping this rig works out for me. At the very least I will get it running then decide to take it further or put it up for sale. It's just a simple gas motor, if it's not locked up it will run.

I've only had 3 hours to work on it so far.

For the cost, I can put up with a lot. I guarantee if I get it running I will get more use out of it than a lot of folks get out of their multi thousand dollar rigs. Nothing against the good stuff, they just are no where near within my budget.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't really plan to travel the US, just fairly local. I typically drive to a destination, camp out for a week or two, then head back home. Very rarely do I spend a night in a camp ground, I always look for the primitive camp sites and there are plenty of them. Perhaps with some time and a buildup of confidence in this rig, I just might decide to take a big loop trip or two in the future, it's a brave new world. I have been thinking about an Alcan trip...

The conveniences of a 1978 motorhome will be living in the lap of luxury for me. It's all about perspective.

Thanks again everyone for all the excellent view points and tips.

Jeff

Swath
Explorer
Explorer
All very excellent pointers.

Thanks.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trigger magnets in those distributors went weak. That limited the spark at cranking RPM.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 75 American Clipper on a Dodge B300 chassis (360 engine). The starting issue is something I'm going through. So far, I've replaced the ignition module and the coil, and I've tried bypassing the resistor, but am still having issues. Once I GET the clipper started, it runs great, and most of the time, it starts up great. But every once in a while, I just can't get it to start - no spark. We're looking at the distributor now. It's a trial and error process and until it's resolved, I do have to be careful how and where I travel (don't want to get stranded in the boonies).

I do recommend that you have the fuel lines tested for leaks. Better to find the leaks now and replace all the hoses, than to wonder why you keep smelling gas and are only getting 4mpg.

The hitches on the clippers were added after market, so many of them were just screwed into the wood, etc. Definitely have it checked out before trying to tow (or carry) anything. They can be reinforced, etc., but get it done by someone who really knows what they're doing - you don't want your Suzuki rolling back home.