Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Just Getting Started...

0_and_2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
A newbie here and I have a lot of questions! I do not currently own an RV. I've been a boater all of my life and am now ready to make the switch. I've been looking at RV's on and off for probably 5 or 6 years now (just couldn't part with the boat!). I have settled on a class C as I feel it's a good place to start and I like the flexibility they offer. Through our friendโ€™s advice, experience, and some research on my part, there are a few I really like and think will fit what we (my wife and I) are looking to do. Mostly long weekends with our friends that have RV's, state parks, and beaches. The list (top 5) is as follows:
1) Winnebago Aspect 28B (Like the Fiberglass roofing on the Winn's)
2) Winnebago Access 26 QP
3) Itasca Cambria 30C - Upscale version of the Aspect?
4) Coachman Concord 30 TS
5) Forest River Lexington 265GTS

Looking for used, 2011-2013"s

There are just SO many makes and models that it sure can be confusing. Sorry for the long post, but really just getting started and have chosen the one's listed above based on reputation, layout, word of mouth etc. We also would like to try and stay under 30ft. Thank you all in advance for your help, advice, wisdom, and experience!!

Regards,
Joe
17 REPLIES 17

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Our boats were sail. And some days we would travel on if the wind was right for us. Well, could always fire up the engine and go but just not the same. We set in many back bays in the Fla. Keys, Great Lakes and Bahamas waiting for better weather. That type of travel stuck with us. We often load the RV, jump in and get to the freeway and decide left or right. We never make plans but just go. May move every day or stay a week. But we have seen and been to so many great places that we never heard of before and made so many friends making plans almost seems like a sin.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

ronfisherman
winnietrey wrote:

X3

In our case small power boat, large power boat, RV. (24 ft)

One thing I do not miss about a boat, it's Sunday you have to get home.

Weather is lousy, hours of pounding the waves, green water over the bow. White knuckels on the wheel. In a RV, windy, stormy, raining, no worries, easy as pie

Never thought of it that way. After many years of owning a large power boat. I kind of take wind and other road conditions in stride. While others are white knuckled.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
snowdance wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Boaters say the three stages of life are sailboat, powerboat and RV. :B

We made the switch after 35 years of boating and find RV'ing in general and our 24' Class C in particular to be the best experience yet. The time spent boating makes us very comfortable in a smaller motorhome and the systems found in most RV's (plumbing, electrical etc.), are pretty much the same of those found on boats.

Consider Class C's in the 24-25' range, if you were happy on a boat these will be more than big enough and this size gives you far more options when it comes to mobility vs the larger C's. Good luck! :C

X-2

X3

In our case small power boat, large power boat, RV. (24 ft)

One thing I do not miss about a boat, it's Sunday you have to get home.

Weather is lousy, hours of pounding the waves, green water over the bow. White knuckels on the wheel. In a RV, windy, stormy, raining, no worries, easy as pie

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

We made the switch after 35 years of boating and find RV'ing in general and our 24' Class C in particular to be the best experience yet. The time spent boating makes us very comfortable in a smaller motorhome and the systems found in most RV's (plumbing, electrical etc.), are pretty much the same of those found on boats.

Consider Class C's in the 24-25' range, if you were happy on a boat these will be more than big enough and this size gives you far more options when it comes to mobility vs the larger C's. Good luck! :C

X-2
Snowdance

Chevy 7.4 Vortex

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
As a newbie myself, I can relate to the staggering amount of information and options.
I decided to relax and take as much time as I need to do my research.
My goal is to buy an RV before the end of this year.
Having never driven a MH of any kind (I once drove a u-haul truck.Does that count?)I decided to rent a 25ft class C for 2 weeks to get the feel of what it's like to live in one.Renting ,even for short term,is expensive but worth the investment.
I also go to RV shows and learn quite a bit there,see what different models there are and listen to the sales pitches,talk to RVers,(a very friendly and helpful group!), make notes.
This forum is a wonderful way to learn and get support for such a large decision.I'll be touring around Florida in March and may run across forum friends there(if I can figure out how to do the hookups!)
Take your time and enjoy the process!

Maria

0_and_2
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate the input! I don't think my list has changed all that much, but the equipment and options available are staggering! It's going to take a lot of time to figure out the must-haves vs. the nice to haves! Any input you might have as to equipment/options you are really glad you sprung for would be helpful! Thanks again everyone! Seems like a very friendly, helpful place!

Joe

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Fleetwood 27 foot Tioga 26Q model because:1. It just fits our driveway, 2.Has a rear bedroom with RV queen size bed, 3 Has sleeping in the convertible dinette and overhead, 4. Has a huge cargo bay lighted with access on boths sides and from the rear. 5. It's just short enough for semi-easy parking at local public parks, shopping malls, and hobby support use etc plus touring and camping.6.Has no "slide-outs", less problems. Fleetwood quit making this floorplan/length after 2009. Other makes may have similar new models.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Have had RV's (Boats, travel trailers, tent trailers, Class C) for 45 years. Lived on boats 10 years and in our Airstream 10 years. Enjoy our C now. After doing it so long we find small works great for us and the places we like to go.

Welcome to the group. Hope you find the one you like and works for you.
Snowdance

Chevy 7.4 Vortex

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm familiar with the names of the units you have listed, but not the specifics of the units. I will add, however, that you might want to consider the Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity of the units you listed. For the short weekend kind of trips you mentioned, it probably won't be much of a factor. But, if you decide at some point to take longer trips, say out west, then weight becomes more of an issue. This will be very important if you ever decide to full-time. Keep in mind that options like leveling systems and slide outs take away from your max. cargo capacity. Best wishes for a successful purchase.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been pleased with the Ford chassis, and I'm a long time Mopar guy. Just be prepared for 7-8 mpg and no more on the E450 (doesn't seem to change whether I'm towing or not), maybe a little better on the E350 with a shorter coach body.

The only real regrets I have with our current motor home is the lack of outside storage. We manage to make do, but I have nowhere to lock up my extra generator (we don't like running the built-in Onan in quiet campgrounds). Everything else I've been able to mod or live with.

We spent about six months looking at fifth wheel floor plans before buying, and there were no regrets when we had it. Had we spent more time looking at motor homes, we might have eventually found one with more storage. But we were also looking at the used market, and that didn't leave a lot of time to shop.

Don't be afraid to look on the used market, either. We've done well, and got more coach than we could have new. I'm also less afraid to do mods to it... ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
Since Winnebago and Itasca are both made by Winnebago, you'll find they have the same model numbers. So the Itasca Cambria 30C is the same as the Winnebago Aspect 30C. The only difference between them is fit-and-finish.

If the Cambria you were looking at seemed like a better version of the Aspect, you were probably comparing a Cambria with more optional equipment to an Aspect without.

Knowing this about them helps when you're looking for models to buy. If you search for Winnebago 30C, often the Itasca models will come with it, which is a good thing.

0_and_2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys!

Lane - Just my wife and I. Daughter in Med School and son in college. They may come along on an occasional trip.

Biscuit & Patrick - Great advice! We are looking forward to camping in the great outdoors and fresh air! And I'll take the roll and bounce in an RV over the 6 to 7 foot seas I've been in a few too many times over the years!

I'm just trying to validate the decision process I'm going through. Ford power and chassis vs. others, options that are must-haves, other options that you really wish you would have gotten the first go around, and what things/brands/options to avoid that just cause trouble. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Joe

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your use be aware of length. We like remote camp sites and some of the sites we like do not allow anything over 27 feet. If you are just doing RV parks it won't matter.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York