cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newmar question

Ramsey_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Dutch Star made with less quality materials than the upper end Newmars or is it just does not have as fancy wood work and such?
20 REPLIES 20

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
Ramsey,Jack wrote:
Thanks for all the replies folks. I really like the lay out on the Dutch Star and as long as the same quality goes into it and it's functional, that's probably going to be on the looking for a use DP list.

Get the Dutch Star. you won't be disappointed. and yes they are built very well. I don't know what engine it has, but a "B" series cummins is nothing to sneeze at or a C7 cat. I drove a school bus with one of those C7s and it ran great plenty of power and can be salvaged sleeved. Go for it.

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
It is a matter of what is put into the RV,,, what size generator? Washer dryer? or no washer dryer. "B" or "C" series Cummins. C7 C9 Cat??? things like that will separate the coaches from a 100 grand. 100grand should get you a LOT of motorhome. ****ing money,, anyway it is the amenities that is included in the cost. I have seen a Dutch Star and I would be honored to own one. naturally of course I can't cause of people's and companies desire for money and so MUCH of it. Don't snide the Dutch Star. It is a fine motorhome. better than not having one at all or one that needs tons of work.

Ramsey_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies folks. I really like the lay out on the Dutch Star and as long as the same quality goes into it and it's functional, that's probably going to be on the looking for a use DP list.

00_BUCK
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
NO they are not built like the Mountaineer or any of the higher quality Newmars. They all are good coaches, BUT! at different levels. The more you pay for a coach, the more quality has been put into that coach. Saying that they are all the same is like saying Chevy being a GM car is the same quality as a Cadillac also been a GM car.

DutchStar does manufacture a better coach now then what they used to, but it is no Mountain aire.

A person would think the above is correct but --- the differences are subtle , for instance one might have a Granite counter top the other Corian counter top . One may have a bigger engine than the other .

IMO after looking at all of them the expensive ones were similar with features that weren't what I would spend bucks on, for instance give me a light counter top so less fuel is needed to transport it etc etc
2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE :B
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
The farther up the line you go, the finer the details and quality of the furnishings. You still get the same frame, chassis, engine, roof, walls, insulation, etc. in the Dutch Star as in the higher end models.
Take a look at the floors, ceilings and furnishings in the higher end models compared to the lower end. The Mountain Aires and up will have the fancy mirrored/lighted ceilings and fancier flooring while the lower models won't.
One thing that may add to the price of the higher end models is that they come with an Aqua Hot system that is pretty expensive, while I believe it is an option of Dutch Stars. My Dutch Star doesn't have as much of the Bling (for lack of a better word), but it is still plenty luxurious enough for us and the quality is second to none IMO.
I'd really like to have a MADP, but can't see paying 50% more for basically the same thing I already have except for a few more eye pleasing amenities.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Ramsey,Jack wrote:
Is the Dutch Star made with less quality materials than the upper end Newmars or is it just does not have as fancy wood work and such?

They are built the same...same production line .same quality...but like the leather furniture is of better quality as you move up the line, the appliances are better quality as you move up the line....and on it goes thru out each line of coach they make...more and different options become std as you move up the line...ie:MADP has HWH jacks to level..the Essex has HWH jacks to level, BUT IT ALSO HAS AIR LEVELING AS STD,also with the jacks.....

we had a 99 DSDP and a 2004 MADP.....both were great coaches...drove them a combined 170,000 miles with very little problem...Newmar has ...in MHO...a great Quality Control Dept...we went to buy a 2012 MADP ,but my DW saw and liked the coach we now have parked next to the MADP.....the rest is history..and I won't take your time to say how disappointed we were with our choice, but to say in the first 6 months and 6,000 miles, we spent 5 days at their factory service ctr ...as they put 140 man hours putting the thing in usable form......
The next one , will be a probably be a NEWMAR again...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
When we ordered our KS,way back when, we looked at all the Newmar Products and we picked things from all the product line and had them installed in our MH. Take the factory tour and you will see that they are all built with the same craftsmanship and quality.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
coolcity wrote:
Bounder Billy wrote:
We did the Newmar factory tour last year and there is only one production line where they build everything from the King Aire to the smallest gas model. The difference is the parts which go in at each workstation, but they are installed by the same people. As on all model ranges the fix and fittings are different for each model line, but the quality of build with the Newmar is the same for all models. Very impressive factory tour. They were building an Essex, Dutch Star, Bay Star some Ventanas, and one of their last fifth wheels when we were there. My DW says our next motorhome will be a Newmar and I agree.

Newmar make a decent unit no doubt about that but personally I would buy a Entegra as my next unit based on quality of build,construction style and options offered for the buck that it cost.BIG price difference.

And that is what makes our country great we have freedom of choice .
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

coolcity
Explorer
Explorer
Bounder Billy wrote:
We did the Newmar factory tour last year and there is only one production line where they build everything from the King Aire to the smallest gas model. The difference is the parts which go in at each workstation, but they are installed by the same people. As on all model ranges the fix and fittings are different for each model line, but the quality of build with the Newmar is the same for all models. Very impressive factory tour. They were building an Essex, Dutch Star, Bay Star some Ventanas, and one of their last fifth wheels when we were there. My DW says our next motorhome will be a Newmar and I agree.

Newmar make a decent unit no doubt about that but personally I would buy a Entegra as my next unit based on quality of build,construction style and options offered for the buck that it cost.BIG price difference.

MrMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
It is a fabulous tour. I enjoyed it very much.
Mr. Muffin

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4306
2001 Jeep Wrangler or our Harley trailer

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
They charge what the 'market will bear', no coincidence that they no longer build 5er's,they honestly state
"we get more for motorhomes then trailers" for the same investment of resources, not in those exact words but to that effect.
Full disclosure -looking at a Newmar this week ,Torry Pine 5th wheel.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

coolcity
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
coolcity wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
They are all made from the quality materials, it is a matter of features/appliances/and size.

your trying to tell me that a 43 dutchstar is built identical in every respect to a 43 mountain aire with the exception of features+appliances??
There is a price difference of like 100K or more.I would have to say that there has to be some difference in quality and construction methods etc

order 1 each and compare for your self. ๐Ÿ™‚

or do the factory tour, you will see there isn't much difference, in materials or craftsmen ship.

there has to be other wise why would u buy a MA over a KS
There must be some rather major differences.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
coolcity wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
They are all made from the quality materials, it is a matter of features/appliances/and size.

your trying to tell me that a 43 dutchstar is built identical in every respect to a 43 mountain aire with the exception of features+appliances??
There is a price difference of like 100K or more.I would have to say that there has to be some difference in quality and construction methods etc

order 1 each and compare for your self. ๐Ÿ™‚

or do the factory tour, you will see there isn't much difference, in materials or craftsmen ship.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.