Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No power to in dash radio

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We have no power to our in dash radio/cd player. It has worked in the past, but this time when we started our trip south last week...nothing. The only thing that is different is that we changed all of the batteries to the motorhome. Everything else works. We've tried the rocker switch on the intrument panel and it makes no difference. Fuses on the panel on the driver's side have been checked, they look fine. There is no reset button on the front of the in dash radio panel. We have been trying to slide the radio out so we can see if there is a fuse there, but we haven't been successful in easily pulling out the radio. (There must be a simple way for these things to come out, we just haven't found it!)

We have a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution. The radio is factory installed, similar to this one:

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-148-radio-ford-6-disc-3l3t-18c815-bd.aspx

Ours is Model #3L3T-18C815-AA.

The radio is the only thing that isn't working. We had something related to our Blue Ox braking system plugged into the cigarette lighter and it works fine.

What are we missing here? Is there some way of sliding that radio out without purchasing special tools? We find this coach to be user friendly in so many ways, so I figure there must be something simple that we're missing.
22 REPLIES 22

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
tomousecap wrote:
MamaGoose wrote:
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
we have a switch in our bedroom too, I'll try that.

Our switch in our bedroom just turns on the speakers in the bedroom. Each motorhome is different, though. We're having quite a time learning with ours.

We did get our radio working by fixing the in line fuse near the battery. Who would have a thought a radio would require so many fuses?

As stated earlier, the BCC is the interface system for the coach to chassis battery systems. Thus the radio fuse originates there and then goes up to the dash radio. You most likely have an inline fuse behind the radio also, but the one I ID'ed for you is the one that indeed has a reputation for the holder loosing contact.

Glad you got it squared away. Bob

Bob,

That is exactly where the problem was, right where you said it would be. Thanks so much. ๐Ÿ™‚

tomousecap
Explorer
Explorer
MamaGoose wrote:
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

Our switch in our bedroom just turns on the speakers in the bedroom. Each motorhome is different, though. We're having quite a time learning with ours.

We did get our radio working by fixing the in line fuse near the battery. Who would have a thought a radio would require so many fuses?

As stated earlier, the BCC is the interface system for the coach to chassis battery systems. Thus the radio fuse originates there and then goes up to the dash radio. You most likely have an inline fuse behind the radio also, but the one I ID'ed for you is the one that indeed has a reputation for the holder loosing contact.

Glad you got it squared away. Bob
Bob
2007 Fleetwood Bounder - Full Paint 35E
Workhorse 6 Speed 496 Cubic Inch V8 - W22
Ford fans - RPM is a poor substitute for Cubic Inches!
2013 Chev Volt - Towing on a Master Tow Dolly
Gracie = Adopted longhair Amazon Chihuahua

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

Scars
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a wall switch in our bedroom that turns the radio off. I checked fuses, connections etc before I found out that switch was off and once flipped it was back to normal.
'03 Monaco Monarch SE 31'

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
On one of my dash radios, I don,t remember exactly which one, there was a very small reset button on the front of the face of the radio. It could be reset by using the tip of a ball point pen. Occasionally this radio would lose power and have to be reset; never did find the reason.

Ray

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Our radio doesn't work either ๐Ÿ˜ž he's checked everything.

I just gave up and use our DISH Tailgater and tune to SIRRIUS music. We bought speakers and a subwhoofer, and it's been awesome ๐Ÿ™‚
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we've got it. The BCC is located next to the batteries, and there is an in-line fuse for the radio there. The holder itself is defective, so once we replace that, we should be good to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Tomousecap, you had the answer we were looking for. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. This is our first year with this motorhome and we're just getting acquainted, hence all the questions. I appreciate how quickly the folks here are to step in and try to help.

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
tomousecap wrote:
MamaGoose wrote:
Thanks, Bob. Where is the BCC box in your motorhome?

Not sure on your diesel. I believe it could be in or near the utility compartment. Friends diesel it is one compartment forward of the utility compartment leftside. The box is about 1ft. square and 4 or 5 inches deep. The front cover is held on by two toggle lever latches. The fuse socket they use tends to get loose and lose contact with the fuse terminals. Fuse may be fine or not. The BCC is the interface of the coach between most of the chassis and coach 12V circuits.

Ours is in a compartment on right side forward of the door, but ours is a gas coach.... Look around you will find it.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Also be advised that if you call Fleetwood with your FIN number they will send you schematics and layouts for your coach free of charge. They can be very helpful in situations such as you have going on.

Good Luck with your efforts.

There is a panel of fuses in a compartment accessible from the outside. It is on the driver's side, front of the motorhome. Would that be what you call the BCC? The fuses there are all fine. DH said there is an inline fuse such as what you are describing outside of that panel. He checked that (disconnected it and reconnected it) and it appears to be fine. I guess next would be checking the wires leading up to the radio and see if there's power there. DH says he'll check the batteries again as well and make sure everything is connected properly.

fun4vern
Explorer
Explorer
After reading your post carefully I notice that you changed all batteries. My guess would be that a wire was left disconnected from one of the battery posts. A lot of systems add a wiring to run accessories. Just a thought.

tomousecap
Explorer
Explorer
MamaGoose wrote:

Not sure on your diesel. I believe it could be in or near the utility compartment. Friends diesel it is one compartment forward of the utility compartment leftside. The box is about 1ft. square and 4 or 5 inches deep. The front cover is held on by two toggle lever latches. The fuse socket they use tends to get loose and lose contact with the fuse terminals. Fuse may be fine or not. The BCC is the interface of the coach between most of the chassis and coach 12V circuits.

Ours is in a compartment on right side forward of the door, but ours is a gas coach.... Look around you will find it.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Also be advised that if you call Fleetwood with your FIN number they will send you schematics and layouts for your coach free of charge. They can be very helpful in situations such as you have going on.

Good Luck with your efforts.
Bob

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound crazy but in our 2008 Expedition the dash radio stopped working and after checking fuses, removing it from the dash, and then checking wiring to front speakers nothing made a difference. I went into the bedroom to check the rear speakers and turned on the overhead 12v lighting and suddenly the radio started working. I have no idea why. After that when the radio stopped working, I went to the bedroom, turned on the lights and the radio came on! Talk about gremlins in the rv. Who knows how Fleetwood wired the 12v system so that this would happen.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer

tomousecap
Explorer
Explorer
The radio fuse is just outside the (B)attery (C)ontrol (C)enter box as an inline fuse labeled as such. Usually a black plug-in type fuse housing. Fleetwood does this for some reason unknown, but it is hard to find if you don't know where to look. I have fixed several in recent times. Find your BCC black box and it will be right there outside of it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob