cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold vs. Dometic Fridge

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever reason, every rv I've ever had has had a Norcold fridg and I've been very happy with them. My current 1200 RIM is just great but now we're looking a coach with a Dometic....no idea what model, but it's the size of the 1200, side by side but no ice maker. The ice maker is a separate U-line cabinet mounted affair.

So, my question is; Are there any significant differences between the units and second, how do those of you with the Dometic like them.

The fridge space seems a bit smaller but with perhaps a larger freezer. Tough to tell visually.

Thanks for any input.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
10 REPLIES 10

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what others have said, it's the Ford vs. Chevy issue. We have had both, and have had no trouble with either. I believe, watching the RV industry for many years, that Norcold realy grabbed a big market share with their 4 door 1200 series refrigerator. We have had that refrigerator in 4 different motorhomes for the past 18 years.

Ed Headington

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty much the same........kinda like what is different between a FORD and LINCOLN

They are both absorption refrigerators.....same principle/same process. Different design of cooling unit but both have had similar issues
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic and like it. My Dometic vented compartment doesn't get close to being as hot as some of the Norcold refers. My neighbors Norcold vent compartment gets so hot you can't touch anything in it. Mine just runs cool.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bluwtr49 wrote:
How is it that Dometic avoided problems that Norcold had prompting the recall? Different construction or???

They didn't, Dometic had the same recalls for fire related failures and a similar "fix".

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had Norcolds and when I've looked at the Dometics in new rigs they always look smaller.

I never researched sizes on them but has anybody ever noticed that and measured them?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
From our years of RVing, almost all of our RV's had 2 door Dometic units. Whne we bought our first diesel pusher it had the Norcold 1200. I don't know what years they came on the market, but my guess is that Dometic came into the large refer market a little later than Norcold. The Dometics have some issues, but not like what you hear about with the Norcold 1200 series.

We finally tossed the Norcold and went residential. We'll NEVER go back! No matter what you buy, think about putting in a residential refer as part of the purchase.

Nope not interested in going residential unless this one fails and the cost difference justifies it. I'm perfectly happy with this type of fidge.

But, thanks for the thought.
Dick

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
From our years of RVing, almost all of our RV's had 2 door Dometic units. Whne we bought our first diesel pusher it had the Norcold 1200. I don't know what years they came on the market, but my guess is that Dometic came into the large refer market a little later than Norcold. The Dometics have some issues, but not like what you hear about with the Norcold 1200 series.

We finally tossed the Norcold and went residential. We'll NEVER go back! No matter what you buy, think about putting in a residential refer as part of the purchase.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is it that Dometic avoided problems that Norcold had prompting the recall? Different construction or???
Dick

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both. Never noticed any real differences.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I see them as being fairly equal with a slight nudge going to Dometic. I say this because there seems to be a lot more "No cooling" and broken hinge threads for Norcold.
However, if I were looking at new RV's it wouldn't be a factor.