cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough batteries

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
We are kicking tires on a new MH. Yes, we want a new gas coach, so suggesting a used DP to solve this particular question is not on track.

The Allegro 32 gas coach has our eye, but we are wondering about only 2 batteries. It appears that almost all upper level gas coaches have residential fridges these days, and they mostly all have only 2 batteries. It doesn't seam like enough. We mostly desert camp without hookups.

When residential fridges first started showing up in DP's about 10 years ago, they were adding 2 extra batteries in addition to the typical 4 batteries that DP's had. LED lights have reduced the load, and maybe 6 batteries is not necessary, but 2 seams too little.

The problem is complicated by the fact that simply adding more batteries does not appear to be an easy task. The two that come with it are under the steps. Maybe replace those with lithium? The storage compartments are not very heavy gauge, so simply putting batteries in there may not be a good idea without reinforcing things.

Any comments on dry camping with residential fridge & only 2 batteries? What happens if your furnace comes on and further taxes the batteries? Any good battery upgrade solutions?
54 REPLIES 54

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
Wow, lots of great advice and opinions. I did find out that Tiffin (and others?) used to add extra batteries with the residential fridge, but in the past few years they (and pretty much all manufacturers) just put in 2@12V. Same thing you can expect in a $15k travel trailer, so much for "high end".

Rather than quantity of batteries, they may have increased the battery size. I know some of the 5ers that started offering a residential fridge went from the initial 3 24 series 12-volt batteries to 2 31 series 12-volt batteries.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, would go with AGM batteries and not worry with watering lead-acid batteries and cleaning the sulfate. I wish I had done that much earlier on our previous coach as I got sick of water and cleaning batteries. I know that a water system could have been installed but they still would sulfate requiring cleaning.

Currently, we have a small fridge in the bay that has a small freezer for ice trays, etc. I keep three frozen ice packs in there to reduce run time. I set the fridge dial on 2 out of 7 and the frozen packs stay frozen and all the drinks stay cold. Seems to me that having something in the freezer keeps the defrosting cycle from heating the whole fridge reducing it's temp.

Our coach is set-up with 3 Lithium Ion phosphate batteries that probably replace 12-16 AGM's if it were set up that way. These batteries are expected to last at least 10 yrs. and can accept 30,000 cycles.

Lithium Ion batteries are not affected by low pull-down like lead-acid and AGM's. Regular batteries can be damaged taking them less than a 50% charge. Li can virtually go all the way down and be be brought back up without ill effects. Our set-up is set to recharge the batteries once they reach a 30% (genny will kick on). Our batteries can be rebuilt in the future further reducing replacement costs.

Back to the Original Poster.... I would go with the LP fridge if it is truly an option as that sounds like your best bet.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
There is more than just the engine that makes a DP more expensive. Just saying.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
With the battery watering systems, ......

And AGMs are an even better choice, for several reasons.
Expensive but usually worth it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
I seriously could not be bothered to waste my time filling water jugs and stuffing them in my fridge all on the premise of possible saving a couple battery amps

Me neither BUT.........
I do use 3 sheets of "portable ice" in mine.
One in the freezer and two in the fridge part, pre-frozen in my home freezer. The first 24 hours or so, I rotate one out of the freezer.

This helps with the initial cooldown without taking up a lot of space and seems to help keep the temp stable after that.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
Wow, lots of great advice and opinions. I did find out that Tiffin (and others?) used to add extra batteries with the residential fridge, but in the past few years they (and pretty much all manufacturers) just put in 2@12V. Same thing you can expect in a $15k travel trailer, so much for "high end".

Adding more batteries is an OK idea, however, you cannot just put them on the floor of a basement bin. Those bins are pretty thin; OK for lawn-chairs, not a bank of batteries would be way too much.

Aside from the technical challenges, I have some heartburn about paying $150k for a new coach and then needing to do major modifications just to keep the fridge running all night.

Sigh.

Iam curious ? Did u actually read the posts here? TIFFIN on the MODEL you like has a LPG fridge as standard equipment. The residential fridge is a option .The UNIT come with TWO SIX VOLT batterys as base battery pack so why do u keep thinking it only come with a residential fridge

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer

Adding more batteries is an OK idea, however, you cannot just put them on the floor of a basement bin. Those bins are pretty thin; OK for lawn-chairs, not a bank of batteries would be way too much.

Aside from the technical challenges, I have some heartburn about paying $150k for a new coach and then needing to do major modifications just to keep the fridge running all night.

Sigh.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
As per my sig. I built an extra frame under a front bay that just high enough to get the batteries in and out with about 4" clearance, the support for the battery pack was bolted to the frame and supports 500 lb of battery, no problems in 11 yrs.and still the same batteries.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"Winnipeg".....This isn't a tough decision or a big issue. If you like the coach, buy it. You have 32' to add two or even four more batteries. With the battery watering systems, you can pretty much add a battery anywhere and not have to deal with it for the next 5-8 years.

Batteries in the bay next to the step, mounted to the frame rail, mounted under the hood.....those are three easy spots to add batteries.

because there into boondocking I think there better off just to get the LPG fridge model with the upgraded 1210 4 door

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Winnipeg".....This isn't a tough decision or a big issue. If you like the coach, buy it. You have 32' to add two or even four more batteries. With the battery watering systems, you can pretty much add a battery anywhere and not have to deal with it for the next 5-8 years.

Batteries in the bay next to the step, mounted to the frame rail, mounted under the hood.....those are three easy spots to add batteries.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
johnf wrote:
No the gasser have 2 12 volt batteries

according to TIFFIN website the standard battery set up is

"" Two 6 V Auxiliary Batteries ""

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Sprig wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
Ok that's your version but something in my world tells me jugs of water in a fridge wont reduce the compressor run time. I seriously could not be bothered to waste my time filling water jugs and stuffing them in my fridge all on the premise of possible saving a couple battery amps

It will actually Likely INCREASE the total compressor run time; HOWEVER, if the increased run time is during day-time with SOLAR PRODUCTION, then there is no increase in used BATTERY consumption.

If you are a midnight snacker that likes to make Dagwoods and OPEN the doors several times a night, then I suggest you just run your genset 24/7; and find a way to gather gasoline to your campsite.

??? I have no idea what your saying>? Iam still trying to imagine you filling your fridge with jugs of water so the batterys last longer because somehow the fridge will run less.LOL at this ridiculous idea
or theory

johnf
Explorer
Explorer
No the gasser have 2 12 volt batteries
john

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
hanko wrote:
any tiffin you order with a resi refrig will have 4 batteries

NOT the Gas models. They have the 2- 6 volt batteries in the entry step well. Doug

But is that not when its a std equipped LPG fridge and the 4 battery system is when you get the upgraded residential fridge option?

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Ok that's your version but something in my world tells me jugs of water in a fridge wont reduce the compressor run time. I seriously could not be bothered to waste my time filling water jugs and stuffing them in my fridge all on the premise of possible saving a couple battery amps

It will actually Likely INCREASE the total compressor run time; HOWEVER, if the increased run time is during day-time with SOLAR PRODUCTION, then there is no increase in used BATTERY consumption.

If you are a midnight snacker that likes to make Dagwoods and OPEN the doors several times a night, then I suggest you just run your genset 24/7; and find a way to gather gasoline to your campsite.