cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil Change

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual of the Ford V-10 engine calls for oil changes at 5,000-mile intervals. I know this was previously 3,000-mile intervals and I think that's preferable but DW says I worry needlessly. Comments?
15 REPLIES 15

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertL0 wrote:
You know better than the engineers at Ford? What are your credentials?

JackInAZ wrote:
The owners manual of the Ford V-10 engine calls for oil changes at 5,000-mile intervals. I know this was previously 3,000-mile intervals and I think that's preferable but DW says I worry needlessly. Comments?

I might question this - I bet the engineers didn't write the oil change instructions. They probably had input into it, but I expect the warranty bean counters and sales people had more of an input than the engineers? After all, it doesn't cost them anything if they tell you to change your oil every 5,000 miles instead of 7,500 or 10,000 miles and it might save them a couple warranty issues a year. The dealerships then sell more oil and filters and get to charge you for more oil changes.

And I'll bet there's plenty of Ford (and other car mfgs) engineers that routinely exceed the manual recommendations.

I've run Mobil 1 full synthetic turbo diesel truck oil in my Ford diesel for 20,000 miles and then had it tested. The results came back that I could run it longer if I wanted.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
My 04 V10 just turned 180,000 and I change the oil every 6 or 8 thousand depending on if I'm home or not. I don't use synthetic oil.

I just traded my 2001 Tropical V-10. I used Mobil 1 5W30 and changed it once a year (3-4000 miles). After 63000 miles, the engine gave me absolutely no problems. I plan to do the same with my new Allegro V10 except use 5W20.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
You know better than the engineers at Ford? What are your credentials?

JackInAZ wrote:

jbrad13
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm-my 2014 V-10 manual says to change the oil every 7,500 miles.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Since we usually put less than 4000 miles a year on our motorhome I change oil and filter every fall right before it goes into storage and winterize it at the same time. That way its ready to go in the spring...

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the recommended change frequency
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I change the oil every 5000 miles or so. Send a sample to Blackstone with each change. A bit over 44K miles over 9 years of use and the analysis report has shown no trending problems I need to be concerned about.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Seems to me the only ones that continue to recommend changing at 3k are the oil change places. I would follow the manual.

+1

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me the only ones that continue to recommend changing at 3k are the oil change places. I would follow the manual.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My 04 V10 just turned 180,000 and I change the oil every 6 or 8 thousand depending on if I'm home or not. I don't use synthetic oil.

Not applicable
I have a 2014 bago on a ford f-53 v-10. My guy at lemesa said reg oil is fine for these. I am a syn guy on my other motors. We don' t drive hard or much What is good for this motor? I was going to use reg 5-20.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
With todays engines and oils, I'd go the 5,000 miles or more. If you went synthetic, I'd go out to 10,000 miles. If you need something to do, change it every 3,000 miles.

When I bought a new 1975 Trans Am and rebuilt the engine right away. I ran the engine hard and changed the oil every 1,000 miles. When I was living in Valdez and got bored, I'd leave Valdez on Friday night for Anchorage. On Saturday night about 2:00AM I'd head for Fairbanks. Then on Sunday night I'd go back to Valdez. That would give me over 1,000 miles for the weekend. Monday night I'd go to bed early and Tuesday evening I'd change oil again.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
If you're concerned about the oil holding up for the extra 2 thousand miles or how well the engine is wearing, send a sample to Blackstone Labs and they will mail you back a report.
Bill and Joey the dog

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at history of auto engines you will see they last much longer today. I had a '60 Ford V8 that needed a cam replacement at 52K. Today the ails are much better. I use Mobil 1 in my Saturn and it has 103K on it. I do not use any oil between changes and I go 10K between changes. Improved engines and lubes combine to give us better performance and life.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford