cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan generator only runs with switch held in

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Last month my Onan 2800 ran perfectly, today I can't get it to run at all. Here are the details:
(1) Pushing in on the remote start/stop button inside the Roadtrek and also at the access cover at the generator get the same results.
(2) I checked the oil and it is with the recommended level.
(3) Pushing in either switch results in the starter starting the generator gas engine, however the generator stops the moment I release the switch.
(4) Pushing in on either switch and continuing to hold it in result with the generator gas engine to continue to run, but only as long as I hold the switch in.
(5) While holding the start switch in the run position 120VAC never arrives at any electrical outlet.

I am open to any suggestions/ideas of what my Onan problem is.
30 REPLIES 30

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get it onto a lift, replacing the voltage regulator in an underslung Onan Microlite 2.8 or 2.5 isn't hard, just patience-& dexterity-challenging, blindly feeling for a small tapped hole in the base pan that has NO lead-in or countersink, with the end of the screw. That's a real, real PITA (mine have only had one, a Torx).

Replacing the VR on ramps or the ground might be beyond all but the slimmest & most flexible. Dropping the generator _might_ be worth it, but all you achieve by having the cover off is a slightly better working angle accessing that dam'd screw hole.

You do need some minimal electrical savvy & a multi-meter to go thru the troubleshooting steps outlined in the Onan manual or on the Flight Systems website. I'd be darned sure that's what the issue was before buying one and going to the pain of replacing it.

Jim H.
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
Did the OP ever get his fixed ? I wonder.
Yes I got it repaired at an RV dealer that specializes in working on the older classic GMC RV's that also had Onan generators. Total cost was $500.90 for dropping the generator and VR - $260 of that was for the potted electronic voltage regulator (some are charging over $400 for just the VR). Since my generator repair I have diagnosed the same identical problem for two other Roadtrek owners - this costly repair does not appear to be that unusual at all and according to my mechanic the main board with the starter switch (mother board) and VR are common repairs for the Onan. I also discovered that it is possible for you to replace the VR without dropping the generator, but replacing the two VR screws will be very difficult (some replace just one). Another approach I have seen is mounting the new potted VR on the outside of the Onan case - this method would be a much easier repair and could easily save you $500, since some are asking $750 and up to drop the generator and replace the VR.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had that result when the problem was a ground fault in the motorhome's 120V system. But I read the codes to find out that was the problem.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to say that the repair cost me over $1000.
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
I actually have no patience but what was I going to do. I didn't want to put in a new generator for $2500+ and I am moving into a truck camper so the Class B was on it's way out anyway.
Jim Tewell

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Did the OP ever get his fixed ? I wonder.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. One year. You've got some kind of patience.

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if anyone cares anymore about this thread, but after waiting over a year, I finally got my generator fixed. The list of excuses from the mechanic for taking so long was almost endless. The problem with the generator worked out to be the rotor - it had burnt copper that wound up taking out other parts.
Jim Tewell

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement,

Sorry to confuse you but it could be several things - my mechanic is telling me it's the voltage regulator. I suggest you try to find a qualified service location that can work on Onan generators - maybe a good RV service location. You could try taking it to a Cummins Onan service location, but they might try to sell you a new generator.
Jim Tewell

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Jim&Carolyn wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "older" or "newer" model? I don't see mine as a "newer" model.

What I meant was if it had electonics on it such as led or trouble code by number. The older units from back in the 70's and possibly the 80's had no troubleshooting features built in.

These last few posting on my original tread have me completely confused - "older or newer", "led trouble code by number", "blink codes" and "older units from back in the 70's and 80's." My rig that has the stated Onan generator problem is a 2002 Roadtrek and I can't find any blink codes, led trouble codes making me think I must have an "older unit" that was built around 2002. Do some Onan 2800's have blink codes and/or LED readouts and exactly which ones, what years and where is the readout?

vulcanman1500
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing , it was a diode .

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
powderman wrote:

What I meant was if it had electonics on it such as led or trouble code by number. The older units from back in the 70's and possibly the 80's had no troubleshooting features built in.

Ok, mine's not that old.
Jim Tewell

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm, the Microlite 2500-2800 had no trouble shooting features (like blink codes) until the past two or three years, with the QG series. But it has a potted solid-state VR/ignition module.

Jim, "Don't drink water. Dilute it."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Jim&Carolyn wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "older" or "newer" model? I don't see mine as a "newer" model.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work