cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan generator

Dwightlarue
Explorer
Explorer
Has there been a recall on 5500 Onan generators installed in 2014 motorhomes? If so, does the dealer have any responsibility to notify the owner?

My generator failed within 2 hours after I purchased a 2014 Fleetwood Southwind
This is just the beginning of my RV traveling. Is this the norm or am I just off to a bad start?
11 REPLIES 11

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
Ask a fuel delivery tanker driver about the difference in brands of gas. They will tell you, generally, that all unleaded gas comes from a central depot. All brands draw from a common tank. The delivery driver then adds any brand specific additives before leaving the depot. Consumer Reports has continuously reported that ALL regular unleaded gas is the same. I buy gas at the least expensive place albeit a supermarket of nation brand. I do avoid sleazy looking places.

I knew two tanker drivers and that's exactly what they told me too. Same fuel, different additives.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Ask a fuel delivery tanker driver about the difference in brands of gas. They will tell you, generally, that all unleaded gas comes from a central depot. All brands draw from a common tank. The delivery driver then adds any brand specific additives before leaving the depot. Consumer Reports has continuously reported that ALL regular unleaded gas is the same. I buy gas at the least expensive place albeit a supermarket of nation brand. I do avoid sleazy looking places.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the new Onan 5.5 generators have fuel pump problems caused by heat. In your Onan manual is an 800 #. They will tell you the closest dealer. They replaced the fuel pump in mine. OK now. If I have any more problems I'm going to move my fuel pump over to the MH frame where it won't get as hot. Mine was throwing code 36.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Dwight.....what kind of failure did you see?

The Onan 5500 has been around several years and is generally a pretty good generator.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
mike in tx wrote:
Mr. Mark,
I believe the Southwind is a gasoline rv, as is the 5,500 watt Onan, and the ethanol in the gasoline is not very stable. The Onan tech stated that the gasoline will start deteriorating within 30 days in hot weather, especially if not treated with a stabilizer. Ask any gasoline engine mechanic about his feelings on the ethanol "enriched" gasoline. I have a diesel Onan and it has no problems with the ULSD, either, and my 350 CAT does fine on it also.
Mike

Mike,
You need to get a new tech. The one you talked to is only interested in selling stabilizer in my opinion. Here is a link that lends some credence to it. (I realize there are many links to the contrary) http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
mike in tx wrote:
Mr. Mark,
I believe the Southwind is a gasoline rv, as is the 5,500 watt Onan, and the ethanol in the gasoline is not very stable. The Onan tech stated that the gasoline will start deteriorating within 30 days in hot weather, especially if not treated with a stabilizer. Ask any gasoline engine mechanic about his feelings on the ethanol "enriched" gasoline. I have a diesel Onan and it has no problems with the ULSD, either, and my 350 CAT does fine on it also.
Mike

Mike, I apologize, I thought we were talking diesel.

I keep my gasoline automobiles in my garage all summer in the California desert (at least 3 months, I'm gone, but started weekly by my maintenance guy) with full tanks of premium fuel (three cars)....have done this for 17 yrs. and never a fuel problem with different cars rotated in and out. This summer in the garage was my '64 RR Silver Cloud III, my '09 Bentley convertible and a friends '74 RR Silver Shadow w/ 7,333 original miles). All started and running fine.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Locally I have heard of small engine failure due to a 22% ethanol content from one source. Some test each time they get new fuel now because the OEM equipment makers will not replace engines if the shop finds over 10% ethanol mix in the tank when it comes into the shop (hint-hint). Since it is all the same price I try to buy at name brand places like Shell that refuels several times a week.

mike_in_tx
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Mark,
Mike

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
mike in tx wrote:
If the dealer who sold you the motorhome is an authorized repair facility for Onan, they can take care of it, and it should be done promptly and at no cost to you. If they are not an Onan repair facility, find a Cummins/Onan shop who will quickly fix or replace your unit. I went through the same thing a year ago, and Cummins had me back in business shortly. Overall, Onan generators are very dependable and trouble-free, but the fuel you get today deals much misery. That is the #1 problem they have with new Onans, according to the service tech I dealt with. Be sure and exercise your unit monthly as is recommended, too (after it gets fixed). Don't worry about putting too many hours on the generator, more hours are far better than few hours.
Mike

Really? What is wrong with the fuel we are getting today? No problems here, our Onan has been a flawless running machine.

I have been buying ULSD since 2007 as our coach has the particulate filter. Our Onan has no pollution controls like the engine and is the same Onan that you can buy today. Is there something different from 2007 to 2014? 15ppm diesel fuel is the same as it was in 2007 as it is today.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_in_tx
Explorer
Explorer
If the dealer who sold you the motorhome is an authorized repair facility for Onan, they can take care of it, and it should be done promptly and at no cost to you. If they are not an Onan repair facility, find a Cummins/Onan shop who will quickly fix or replace your unit. I went through the same thing a year ago, and Cummins had me back in business shortly. Overall, Onan generators are very dependable and trouble-free, but the fuel you get today deals much misery. That is the #1 problem they have with new Onans, according to the service tech I dealt with. Be sure and exercise your unit monthly as is recommended, too (after it gets fixed). Don't worry about putting too many hours on the generator, more hours are far better than few hours.
Mike

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what kind of failure you had, but it should be covered under the Onan Warranty.
Onan Limited Warranty.
I suggest you contact a Onan distributor or dealer as soon as possible. Also suggest you take it to a Onan Generator Shop as they only work on generators and nothing else.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”