Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One jack sticking

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have the HWH jacks on our '99 DSDP.
The control panel is the manual one, not the "one button level" model.
My left rear jack is only retracting about half way, and stops.
The other three jacks operate normally.
We will have to leave here in 3 weeks, and I'd sure like to have this resolved before that.
Any ideas?
Bob
40 REPLIES 40

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
bmwbob wrote:
I just tried the WD40 and it worked like a charm!
I didn't have to touch the jack.
I put them all back down, gave each one a shot of WD 40, then cycled them a few times.
All is well.
Thanks, folks!
Bob

iam seriously glad the jack is working for you but the WD40 application really has nothing to do with a HWH jack ram sticking or not sticking. The two main reasons they stick is because the release valve is not releasing fully or the return springs are weak

Sorry, the MAIN reason a jack sticks and has to be pried up is the Internal seals have failed. I have NEVER had a solenoid partially release.(30 years of HWH jack service). The OP has done a temporary fix. Once the WD40 wears off the jacks will stick again. UNDER HWH warranty, they replace the cylinder when this happens. Not some lube or clean to get it fixed. Exercising the jacks when this happens makes the internal seal pliable for awhile, then it starts sticking again. MY test for this problem when customers come in is the extend the jacks for 48 hours and then retract. IF any jack fails to fully retract in 5 minutes, I replace that cylinder. If I operate the jacks when the customer drops off, the odds are the offending jacks will operate to spec. Waiting that 48 hours allows the defective seal to shrink slightly. If you think a solenoid is not fully releasing, just open the manual release on that solenoid. OR crack open that hydraulic line and you will see the jack fails to retract. Doug

yes I know about the seals but I knew the WD40 did not fix his problem
I had a solenoid fail once and had to replace it.So i assumed(right or wrong) maybe they could stick at partial opening and maybe impede the jack retraction
I know weak springs for sure can cause his problem wheather u agree or not

Springs, YES. BUT as I stated, to verify if you think springs are the problem, put in retract mode, when the jack stops, try to push it up with your hand. If the jack retracts by hand, replace the springs. If it does NOT, and you have to lever it up, the springs are NOT your problem. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PursuitInsight wrote:
dougrainer
4. HWH Fluid(dextron 2 or 3) Does NOT get "old" and replacing the fluid will not fix the problem

I love this answer.

I tried it all: silicon, w40, exercice the Jack, push it with a 2 by 4

Then last replace the fluid and worked right away

You would never replace the brake fluid either. Old oil ....
What an Idea to replace it

It akso stopped the Pop cracks every now and then

Edit: oil was mercon V

You replace Brake Fluid because IT can be moisture contaminated. HWH or just any Hyd Jack fluid, does NOT suffer from any wear and tear like a Transmission. There is NOTHING in a Jack system to deteriorate the fluid or contaminate it. Of course, what do I know. Just 30 years of working on all brands of Hydraulic Jack systems. If you want to replace the fluid, go ahead, but it is a waste of time and money. I have NEVER in 30 years had a problem that could be related to "OLD" fluid in the system. Doug

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer
4. HWH Fluid(dextron 2 or 3) Does NOT get "old" and replacing the fluid will not fix the problem

I love this answer.

I tried it all: silicon, w40, exercice the Jack, push it with a 2 by 4

Then last replace the fluid and worked right away

You would never replace the brake fluid either. Old oil ....
What an Idea to replace it

It akso stopped the Pop cracks every now and then

Edit: oil was mercon V

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
bmwbob wrote:
I put them all back down, gave each one a shot of WD 40, then cycled them a few times.
All is well.
Thanks, folks!
Bob

iam seriously glad the jack is working for you but the WD40 application really has nothing to do with a HWH jack ram sticking or not sticking. The two main reasons they stick is because the release valve is not releasing fully or the return springs are weak

Sorry, the MAIN reason a jack sticks and has to be pried up is the Internal seals have failed. I have NEVER had a solenoid partially release.(30 years of HWH jack service). The OP has done a temporary fix. Once the WD40 wears off the jacks will stick again. UNDER HWH warranty, they replace the cylinder when this happens. Not some lube or clean to get it fixed. Exercising the jacks when this happens makes the internal seal pliable for awhile, then it starts sticking again. MY test for this problem when customers come in is the extend the jacks for 48 hours and then retract. IF any jack fails to fully retract in 5 minutes, I replace that cylinder. If I operate the jacks when the customer drops off, the odds are the offending jacks will operate to spec. Waiting that 48 hours allows the defective seal to shrink slightly. If you think a solenoid is not fully releasing, just open the manual release on that solenoid. OR crack open that hydraulic line and you will see the jack fails to retract. Doug

yes I know about the seals but I knew the WD40 did not fix his problem
I had a solenoid fail once and had to replace it.So i assumed(right or wrong) maybe they could stick at partial opening and maybe impede the jack retraction
I know weak springs for sure can cause his problem wheather u agree or not

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
bmwbob wrote:
All is well.
Thanks, folks!
Bob

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
All is well.
Thanks, folks!
Bob

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
All is well.
Thanks, folks!
Bob

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jug wrote:
The way i got mine to release was to put both jacks on one side down with a lot of force. then release,do the same to the other side.Mine were both stuck.This helped to release them.Jacks are about 300 a pop.

I paid about half that for just the cylinder.
bumpy

jug
Explorer
Explorer
The way i got mine to release was to put both jacks on one side down with a lot of force. then release,do the same to the other side.Mine were both stuck.This helped to release them.Jacks are about 300 a pop.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ALL HWH jack owners need to have this link or print it out. It answers almost all possible questions you may have. Doug

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one of mine stuck, chattered, kept putting it down on a 2 x 4 for leverage to get it started. then it jammed down permanently. replace the cylinder before it happens to you.
bumpy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. IF you have a HWH jack that stops and you cannot manually push it fully retracted, that jack has INNER seals that have failed. Rebuild or replace the cylinder is the ONLY correct long term fix
2. Yes, you can use WD40 or Transfluid and wipe the exposed cylinder. That does NOT fix the problem. It is just a temporary work around until the jack fails again
3. If you suspect the springs, when it fails to fully retract and when you try to help it up with just your hands, if the jack fails to go up, it is NOT the springs. It is defective internal seals
4. HWH Fluid(dextron 2 or 3) Does NOT get "old" and replacing the fluid will not fix the problem. Doug

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, folks!
Looks like I'll try the WD40 tonight since that's what I have on hand, and also what the company suggests.
We are "work camping" for FMCA here in Cincinnati 3 days a week, so Carol and I will be in the call center if you phone in before 2 pm.
Bob

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
Our jacks each have two springs on them.
As for lubricating the shafts, seems to me I remember reading a thread some time back where the opinions were all over the map on whether or not to lube the shafts, and what to use to do it.
I have WD40, and can get some silicone spray if that is what I need.
I also have a floor jack with me I can use to push the jack up if it comes to that.
So, is there any concensus about lubing the shafts?
Bob

Over the years I have used WD40, Silicon spray, Dexron iii transmission fluid.

Silicon spray doesn't last too long. WD40 was OK but the transmission fluid lasted the best.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bmwbob wrote:
OK.
Did you use silicone spray or WD40?
Bob

msmith1199 wrote:
bmwbob wrote:
Our jacks each have two springs on them.
As for lubricating the shafts, seems to me I remember reading a thread some time back where the opinions were all over the map on whether or not to lube the shafts, and what to use to do it.
I have WD40, and can get some silicone spray if that is what I need.
I also have a floor jack with me I can use to push the jack up if it comes to that.
So, is there any concensus about lubing the shafts?
Bob

You don't need the floor jack to push it up. At least you shouldn't. I've had mine do the same. I just got a 2x4 8 foot stud and stuck it under and lifted up on the jack foot and it came right up. You just need to make sure the control panel is in retract mode otherwise even the floor jack won't lift it. It's just the springs pulling it back up and sometimes they need some help. I spray lubed mine and that fixed the problem.

I've used a combination. I have put WD-40 on it several times. I'm sure I've used Silicone too. I spray them about once a year.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4